Gransnet forums

Chat

Young Heroes Awards

(14 Posts)
Baloothefitz Sat 06-Apr-19 02:40:30

Yes ,I agree our youngsters should be celebrated for all the wonderful things they do .

Aepgirl Fri 05-Apr-19 21:56:33

Sadly, good news doesn’t sell newspapers, or make people watch news programmes. Perhaps if more emphasis was put on good news items ‘goodness’ would be catching.

JohnD Fri 05-Apr-19 20:55:06

Daily Papers believe godd news is bad news and therefore rarely publishes it, but I think it should. Forget the 'celebrities, spouting about anything and give the main news to the Youth who go the extra mile and there are plenty of them.

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:49:30

Our local weekly paper has regular good news stories featuring inter alia young people. It’s a pity that the local printed press is on its way out

sunseeker Fri 05-Apr-19 15:13:24

Saggi I started this thread simply because the vast number of young people, like your grandson, do not receive any recognition for the contribution they make to society.

It seems the news outlets want us to believe that all young people are roaming the streets with knives and breaking the law.

Saggi Fri 05-Apr-19 13:37:29

Yes indeed ....fed up with hearing about the thugs with drugs and knives roaming the streeets.My grandson is a wonderful boy and a credit to his community. He’s eleven...spends his time playing rugby...cleaning cars to earn extra pocket money ...mows my lawn when I need help , he didn’t ask for money but I gave him a fiver... goes scouting once a week...raises money for charity. An altogether lively, industrious, kind boy. Let’s hear more about these lads.

NannyDa Fri 05-Apr-19 13:00:50

Can I suggest googling 'Positive News' - their magazine is very uplifting

Kim19 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:38:18

I'm always hearing that good news doesn't sell papers. Wish it did. You young peoples' awards sounds lovely and so encouraging.

icanhandthemback Fri 05-Apr-19 12:01:09

We have this in our area too, run by the Portsmouth Evening News, I think. It is lovely to read nice things too!

inishowen Fri 05-Apr-19 11:41:23

I've been watching a series about Britain in Bloom. In every episode there are young people helping to plant flowers and improve their area. On the negative side, vandals have often ruined the displays.

LJP1 Fri 05-Apr-19 11:39:10

Yes, I agree totally.

Congratulations to all of them.

Craftycat Fri 05-Apr-19 11:36:47

How sad Young Heroes don't make the news but knife crime does. It's about time we put it in perspective- there are a lot more good decent young men out there than drug dealing thugs.

Coconut Fri 05-Apr-19 11:34:29

I agree with what you are saying, as the evil and hatred within our society often holds our entire focus as it’s just so draining. A friend who is a teacher in a difficult school, has to make a concerted effort to praise the quiet ones who work so well .... as the disruptive pupils are just all consuming.

sunseeker Fri 05-Apr-19 10:15:42

Although the vast majority of young people are law abiding and hard working we only seem to read stories about young people involved in drugs and violence. I thought it might be nice for GNs to know about the Bristol Young Heroes Awards. It is an annual ceremony which recognises the contribution young people make to the city (ages 11 - 19). There are awards for carers, environment, sport, education and many others. I just wish this type of good news was publicised as much as the bad news