Gransnet forums

Chat

Halfway through Lent

(25 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 06-Apr-19 07:37:55

For those who said they were ‘giving up’ something, how’s it going? Are you being good? Lent always lasts longer then I remember - Shrove Tuesday seems ages ago!

Baggs Sat 06-Apr-19 07:41:49

Funnily enough, I was wondering during the night when Easter is this year. I guess it's in three weeks' time if we are currently half way through Lent.

Urmstongran Sat 06-Apr-19 07:45:41

Easter Sunday is 21 April so it is a smidgeon over halfway! Still, it seems an age - 6 weeks and 5 days.

Baggs Sat 06-Apr-19 07:51:02

Thanks, urm. DD and the GSs are coming up for a visit the week after. I think an Easter treasure hunt will still be in order. DD's very good at making up clues.

Urmstongran Sat 06-Apr-19 08:12:09

Did you give anything up Baggs?
I didn’t I must confess.

Anniebach Sat 06-Apr-19 08:43:51

Still doing my Lent study course

Baggs Sat 06-Apr-19 10:59:22

No, I didn't give anything up. Never have done (despite an RC childhood) unless you count giving up hunting dinosaurs. TBH I hardly know where in the Christian calendar we are at nowadays. It's not relevant to my life. I just go by the weather and growing seasons.

M0nica Sun 07-Apr-19 09:52:45

Decided to abjure alcohol, not much of sacrifice, as I do not drink much. Fallen off the wagon twice, each time without thinking.

We went on holiday for a week and started it with a leisurely overnight ferry journey (Harwich-Hook of Holland) and had a very nice dinner on board. I completely forgot and shared a bottle of wine with DH. However I was suitable punished, I was so relaxed I drank two glasses of wine instead of one and had chronic indigestion the next day.

Last week we went out for supper with friends before going to a concert, someone filled my glass and I was busy chattering and drank most of it without thinking and then thought 'what the hell' and finished it.

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:58:59

As an aetheist Lent is totally irrelevant to me but I get why to a Christian it matters ( not that observing Lent necessarily says anything about how ‘good’ a Christian or human being you are). I am planning for Easter though with a special lunch, Easter egg hunts and the making of a Chocolare Easter Wreath with the dgc.

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 10:13:55

For me Lent is a time to remember Christ’s 40 days in the wilderness , hunger, temptation, isolation, the choice to opt out from what lies ahead.

1inamillion Sun 07-Apr-19 11:33:50

My late MiL always gave up chocolate for Lent Annie.
When GC asked her why then was she eating a kit Kat with her mid morning tea? She said " but that's food" 😂
As for me, I have given up alcohol. I've not been feeling too good following a nasty bug last month, so it hasn't been too taxing - that's my excuse anyway.

1inamillion Sun 07-Apr-19 11:44:05

Sorry Urmston so far I've been good 😇

Urmstongran Sun 07-Apr-19 11:54:54

Love it MOnica that made me laugh!

Well done to Annie and 1inamillion for your (faith) and (willpower).

I read once that abstinence for a period of time does us good as it strengthens willpower, which was likened to a muscle. It’s good to do it as we never know when we may need to use it.

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 11:58:59

linamillion love the Kit Kat explanation, hope you can reach Easter without a tipple , if not you could say ‘but it’s medical ‘ 😀

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 12:05:44

Urmstongran I am failing , part of my studies are ‘The Beatitudes ‘ i meditated on ‘blessed are the peacemakers ‘ then posted on political threads 😟

1inamillion Sun 07-Apr-19 12:06:34

I'll bear that in mind Annie 😉

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Apr-19 12:13:54

I was cutting down my screen time. It hasn’t gone well. sad

This thread has made me feel guilty, so I’ll try again for the last fortnight. This time focussing on just the social media.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:10:17

I have given up crisps, chocolate and biscuits. I have had 1 biscuit and 1 chocolate desert whilst on holiday.

I am also concentrating on being a better person, hopefully I am more successful in this aspect of lent.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:11:26

Anniebach it has been the “news and political threads” which have tested me also????

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 13:17:43

GrannyGravy I tell my self ‘ he only had the Romans to deal with ‘ 😀

Doodle Sun 07-Apr-19 19:36:41

I am reading the Beatitudes too annie. I am working from a C of E booklet that I ordered. I have another entitled the Lord’s Prayer which is supposed to follow on. I have found the Beatitudes thought provoking. I usually give up chocolate for Lent but decided this year just to go with the Beatitudes. Getting on the scales in the morning makes me wish I’d done both 😨

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 20:16:56

Doodle they are thought provoking, this is why I choose Lent to do a study course, six weeks gives time .

BradfordLass72 Fri 12-Apr-19 10:21:07

M0nica your mention of Harwich reminds me that when I used to commute into London, we used to pass a sign...

"Harwich for the Continent" under which someone had written, "And Margate for the incontinent" grin

Anniebach Fri 12-Apr-19 10:46:48

Palm Sunday this Sunday , one more week then it’s chocolate, biscuits, a tipple,

1inamillion Sat 13-Apr-19 00:09:39

BradfordLass72 😂
That reminds me, my parents went on honeymoon in 1951 - a week in London followed by a week in Margate.