Gransnet forums

Chat

Council tax scam

(19 Posts)
millymouge Tue 09-Apr-19 12:40:20

Wonder if anybody has had one of these calls. Very nice man has just rung me saying he was from our local council and that they had overcharged in our rates last year by £67.15. All I had to do was to give him my bank account details and then he could then credit me with the amount. I said I did it want to do that and would call in at the council offices to collect the cheque. Couldnt do that for me as it was last years money and would cause problems and long delays, so told him to just send me a cheque. He said would do that and hung up. DH has rung the council and they said that it was a scam. So nasty doing this I can see that some people would easily fall for it, I am so glad DH and I never give out our details over the phone. Just warning everyone.

glammanana Tue 09-Apr-19 12:54:22

Thanks for the information,these people will try anyway to get you to tell them your details won't they.
I feel so sorry for the people who are duped as there will be some not as clued up as we are unfortunatly.

maryeliza54 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:57:33

There seem no end to these scams. I’ve heard recordings of them on programmes like Money Box and they really sound so plausible. It’s really sad. Everyone just has to keep on repeating never give any bank details over the phone

Nonnie Tue 09-Apr-19 13:39:01

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that one. DH is far too trusting so I must tell him,

phoenix Tue 09-Apr-19 13:49:21

The odd thing is, every time you pay anything by cheque, you are handing over your sort code and account number, I think (may be wrong) that it is only when you give your card details that you are at risk.

Oldwoman70 Tue 09-Apr-19 14:02:22

That's true phoenix but these scammers would then go on to ask you to confirm your identity by asking for your full address, date of birth or other identifying information - which could enable them to hack into your account.

Fernbergien Tue 09-Apr-19 14:03:39

Had 2 phone calls on one day last week from BT. Ref an internet cut off etc etc. Nice voice. A scam. Be aware.

Nonnie Tue 09-Apr-19 15:56:32

Fern we get those almost every morning at 0830. How do they know which telecom company we are with? We are not with BT.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 09-Apr-19 16:00:22

It's terrible, isn't it? Not everyone is as alert as you and will be taken in by it.

Fernbergien Tue 09-Apr-19 17:37:40

Nonnie my son says they have only got to strike lucky once in a hundred to get a response. Just had another at 5pm. Yes love beige someone will fall for it.

Liz46 Tue 09-Apr-19 17:50:16

I took no notice of the tv license emails which said our direct debit had failed. They went on for so long that I did a quick check of the bank account and it was fine. I checked my emails when I was in Cyprus and there was a more threatening one from them saying they were sending someone to our house next Tuesday. Someone nervous, living alone could be a bit frightened.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Apr-19 17:55:33

All but one call today have been automated calls from a computer generated voice, supposedly from BT, telling me that my broadband service has been compromised.
Strange that, our broadband is supplied by Talk talk.
Four calls so far, different numbers, same computer voice!
I have blocked them all. angry

whitefrog632 Fri 12-Apr-19 10:05:48

I have also received such BT scam calls like you did, MiniMoon. I didn't talk to them, though. They left several VMs and yeah, all of those VMs were robocalls! That's annoying. I looked up the number on whycall.me and immediately blocked the number.

GabriellaG54 Fri 12-Apr-19 10:17:44

Anyone asking you to confirm details has no idea what confirm really means.
I've had to inform several businesses that if they tell me the data they wish me to confirm and if it's correct, I will gladly confirm the details.
Until then, or unless they ask me to give whatever details they need, I won't oblige.
To confirm means to agree with whatever is being proposed.

GabriellaG54 Fri 12-Apr-19 10:19:06

TalkTalk use BT lines.

Witzend Fri 12-Apr-19 10:23:58

We get very few scam calls, but there was one the other day where a recorded and very American voice told me that our BT internet connection was going to be terminated -

Didn't hear the rest, since I'd hung up.

Since it was supposed to be BT, you'd have thought the scamsters would at least have the wit to use a U.K. voice!
I suppose we have to be thankful for their frequent cluelessness, atrocious spelling and grammar, etc. since they scream 'scam' straight away.

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 10:31:43

Anyone can get you bank details from a cheque, if you still write them. The sort code and account number are there for all to see.

But other details eg PIN, password, that 3-digit code on the back of your card, etc are to be protected.

Franbern Fri 12-Apr-19 11:26:21

Just had a telephone call regarding my 'recent accident at work, in breach of H & S rules'. Interesting as I retired in 2010. Where do they get our telephone numbers from, and what a lousy job it must be in those call centres.

Witzend Mon 15-Apr-19 14:21:32

From experience of an elderly neighbour who was scammed out of a great deal of money, I think those Wordsearch 'competitions', where you phone in all your details at God knows how much per. minute, should be avoided like the plague.

I'm convinced that's how my neighbour was targeted. She was addicted to them, and since they're a pretty blatant ripoff I understand that the details thus gathered are used to compile so-called 'suckers' lists' of the potentially naive and vulnerable.
If you know anyone in the habit of doing these so-called competitions, do please warn them.