Gransnet forums

Chat

Heartbroken!!

(68 Posts)
Charlie2468 Mon 15-Apr-19 23:44:12

I'm 52 and have a grandaughter of 16. Up until recently she used to stay over every now and again.
We used to go shopping and I would always treat her.
All of a sudden she doesn't want to come over to see me or go shopping?
Can you all tell me your thoughts.
I know she is studying hard but to not want your nan to treat you at all seems strange?

matson Wed 17-Apr-19 17:45:35

I do think "heartbroken " can be an appropriate response, when someone you love disappears from your life it can be liken to feeling the grief of a bereavement.

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 17:33:48

I think (as others may have said) that "heartbroken" isn't really an appropriate response.

GreenGran78 Wed 17-Apr-19 17:26:51

NotSpaghetti. Apocryphal wrote almost as many wise sayings as Anonymous did. They were prolific! smile

sluttygran Wed 17-Apr-19 09:22:45

Don’t worry at all over your DGD. She’s just being a normal growing- up girl.
You’ve had a loving relationship with her all these years, and it’ll be returned in spades, but right now she’s overflowing with the experience of being an almost-adult, and will move away from familiar, established patterns.
Be patient, she’ll be back, so just wait lovingly.

Anniebach Wed 17-Apr-19 09:04:59

Been there 3 times, she will be back with you , x

sodapop Wed 17-Apr-19 08:37:27

Nor me stevej smug cones to mind.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Apr-19 23:34:21

I don’t think that post was very thoughtful or helpful Stevej

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-19 22:52:55

Aren't you lucky Stevej !

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Apr-19 22:29:33

Re the great quote above, The National Library of Scotland says: “This quote is often attributed to Mark Twain but the evidence is sketchy so it’s more likely to be apocryphal.”

twitter.com/natlibscot/status/1008279320681418757

stevej4491 Tue 16-Apr-19 20:36:58

My eldest Gd is thirty now and I still see as much of her as I did when she was small. She is'nt married but has a very full life with work and her loads of friends.We text every day several times , and I et to see what she's up to on her Instagram page. She took me to IKEA for my 75 th birthday ,a two hour drive away. I love her to bits. PS she's even sorted out Power of Attorney for me,to save me having to pay a solicitor to do it!!!!

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Apr-19 20:28:01

Aw she’s probably found her first love bless her.

She will come back just be welcoming and happy when she does

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-19 18:27:16

She’s at the ‘embarrassment’ stage in case you both bump into any of her mates! Nothing stays the same.

Theoddbird Tue 16-Apr-19 17:31:10

Simple answer. She is 16. It is not cool to go shopping with your grandmother when you are 16

moores Tue 16-Apr-19 17:19:10

Typical teenage behaviour I'm afraid. Lots of joy to come in the future with uni/college/boyfriends - just let her do her growing up in the meantime. I have a 15 year old grandaughter exactly the same. 12 year old grandson is still quite close but expecting that to change when he becomes a teenager in a few months.

Day6 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:11:45

Charlie surely you distances yourself a bit from adults when you were 16? Her head will be full of boys, make up, clothes, music, day dreaming and friends of the same age.

The teenage years are a special time - no longer a child, not yet a grown up. It's nothing personal, just a stage of her development which she will grow out of.

Our children and our grandchildren are ours to spoil and hold close for only a short time. Our oldest granddaughter, isn't the cuddly little innocent she was just two years ago - we noticed that the other day. She is much more worldly wise and serious. Change can be sad, but it is inevitable.

Be glad you were close. She doesn't love you any less. flowers

Ladyinspain Tue 16-Apr-19 17:02:50

Twian/Wilde, I don't care! The quote is pure gold !

sharon103 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:01:23

She's growing up and has her friends, her own interests,and school work. My adult lads wouldn't be seen dead sitting on a bus near me now. lol

B9exchange Tue 16-Apr-19 15:37:37

Our sons' headmaster warned us about them entering 'the long, dark tunnel of adolescence' and assured us they would emerge as butterflies at the end! Two of them did, still waiting for the third! grin

bluebirdwsm Tue 16-Apr-19 15:21:23

My eldest grandson who I did so much with for years, changed when he was 13-14 and it was hurtful for me...as I wasn't prepared [no one had warned me], nor expecting it to be so blunt and sudden.

The boy who used to throw himself at me for hugs had changed, just grunts, embarrassment and distance. I had to accept it but found it difficult at first. Now I'm used to it and get a hug when I see him now he's matured to be a 20 year old.

I am now prepared for the next 3 to change in their own ways but will find it a bit sad all the same. I'm enjoying them now while they are 11, 6 and 3.

Joyfulnanna Tue 16-Apr-19 14:56:37

She'll come back to you.. I've no doubt.. She's probably preoccupied with other things at present.. Have faith, take up painting or yoga and then you can have something new to discuss when she drops by. Whatever you do, don't appear needy.. Good luck

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-19 13:58:34

I have been unable to find the site I had this evening, so you must be right, but:

quoteinvestigator.com/2010/10/10/twain-father/

Megs36 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:46:12

Now, now ladees...

annodomini Tue 16-Apr-19 13:32:49

Sorry, M0nica, I have to agree with Maw. Every reference I've found on line confirms that the origin of this quotation is from Mark Twain.

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-19 13:11:35

Mawbroon I checked it first and copied it from a site of Oscar Wilde quotes. I have known this quote from time immemorial and always had it attributed to Wilde.

granbabies123 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:02:21

I have a 16 year old GD too and don't see much of her because she now works in a restaurant (apprentice chef). She loves her job and we are extremely proud of her . To see her more often we go and eat at her work, she always pops out to see us and give hugs kisses regardless of who is in view.
They are just moving on as we did but the love will hopefully always be there.
I think when they get older and become parents themselves they revert to seeing more of older generation and that's good too.