Gransnet forums

Chat

Warning!

(7 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:36:08

I am not sure if this has been flagged before but as I am coming up to 73 I received a form from DVLA which stated I could do this online. I typed Renew driving license for over 70's in Google and came to an official looking site which wanted to charge me £69.99 for this.
On examining the form again I saw the online address did not have www.gov.uk at the beginning. On entering the correct address I got to the DVLA site and of course it was free to renew my licence.
This is a scam and I just wanted to warn others.

MawBroonsback Tue 16-Apr-19 10:38:48

TG you spotted this in time!
It is appalling that this has not been tightened up ?

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:41:15

These websites just make me so cross - why can’t they be banned? I just don’t understand how they are allowed to continue. Another example of how the private sector is so on the side of the people and allowed to exist to rip people off. Well that’s capitalism for you. ,

dragonfly46 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:47:15

What is worse is that Google allows these sites to come up first on the list - but I expect they receive money for this.

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-19 13:33:37

This has been a problem for years. These sites operate for passport applications and even benefits applications.

These people are top of the lsit because they are usually paid for ads. You will see the little AD in a box beside them.

No matter what I want to buy I always skip the ADs top and bottom and look at other links.

BBbevan Tue 16-Apr-19 16:27:48

Hmm. We got caught by this scam renewing our passports. You have to be very very careful these days

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Apr-19 20:42:58

Awful. Same with the EU health cards. They are free.

Well they were pre brexit