Gransnet forums

Chat

Social club committee wrongdoing

(25 Posts)
Steve58 Wed 17-Apr-19 10:23:51

Hello. I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. A situation has arisen at my local social club. A Lady member has been accused of things that cant be proven and has had her membership revoked on hearsay alone despite other members saying she did not commit the alleged actions . A committee member does not like the Lady in question and is always looking to get at her for one reason or another. she is a nice person and not a pain to anyone in the club. and well like by people. Its almost like bullying. I want to take action by some means its wrong for this to happen and I want to do something like bring a no confidence vote in the committee member can anyone advise me what i should do to begin this process. Many thanks.

Nonnie Wed 17-Apr-19 10:26:18

I think it sounds like bullying. No suggestions about how to deal with it, others probably have but I think you should do something. Is there anything in the constitution that would help?

Steve58 Wed 17-Apr-19 10:48:46

Thanks I am not sure but Its so unfair I will pursue the matter hope that i can get some advice on here

FarNorth Wed 17-Apr-19 10:51:57

Has there been a meeting where it was agreed to revoke the person's membership?

fizzers Wed 17-Apr-19 11:44:45

Is there a constitution? all the rules and processes should be set out in there

Marydoll Wed 17-Apr-19 12:38:01

There should be a constitution and any issue to suspend or revoke a membership should be discussed at a full committee meeting. The lady member should be given a chance to give her side of the story.
I find it odd that one member has so much power.

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 12:50:05

There must be a Club Constitution with procedures set out, otherwise it is just an informal gathering of people.

www.eiba.co.uk/Guidance/constitutions.pdf

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 12:50:28

There must be a Club Constitution with procedures set out, otherwise it is just an informal gathering of people.

www.eiba.co.uk/Guidance/constitutions.pdf

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 12:51:57

sorry, posted too soon.

There is something about the Discipline and Appeals Procedure regarding expulsion in the link.

Nonnie Wed 17-Apr-19 12:53:19

4 of us have said the same thing!

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 12:57:42

Do you think Steve58 has got the message grin

If it's worth saying, it's worth saying four or five times!

glammanana Wed 17-Apr-19 13:01:38

How can just one member have the authority to goven the thoughts of other members it certainly sounds like bullying imo.

Steve58 Wed 17-Apr-19 13:05:08

if you call it a meeting i was in support only and it was a farce

Steve58 Wed 17-Apr-19 13:06:29

not sure if i said but there is sure a dominance of governance here

Mycatisahacker Wed 17-Apr-19 13:34:34

I would tell them to stuff it then and start another group! It doesn’t sound like a group I would want to be part of anyway. Form your own one and I bet lots will break away too.

Sounds like a midsomer murder plot! grin

M0nica Wed 17-Apr-19 13:46:24

Presumably the Social club has written rules and procedures. Read those and insist they are followed.

Oh, someone else has already said this. But rules are rules and have to be followed whether one person is dominant or not

In fact having read the whole thread I am entirely in agreement with Mycateisahacker

Caledonai14 Wed 17-Apr-19 14:01:56

I agree with Mycatisahacker. It sounds like a situation where people might be wary of speaking out in defence of the lady. You, she, and the others who have the courage to support her should think about what might happen in future if this is allowed to stand. You'd be better to start your own club and run it along honest, humanitarian, well-organised lines. I have been in a similar situation to you many years ago and I took a lot of flack for my stand but am pleased I can look back and - at the very least - did not add to the injured innocent's troubles. Now I'm older and wiser, I think I might just have walked away from it, but with my friendly arm round the shoulders of the wronged person.

Jane10 Wed 17-Apr-19 14:18:22

Steve58 are you the lady member by any chance?

FarNorth Wed 17-Apr-19 15:56:03

If one person is so dominant, and everyone else goes along with it, there doesn't seem to be much hope for the situation.

Breaking away to start a new group might not work if no-one else wants to leave the old one because of toadying to the dominant person.

Might as well give it up as a bad job, by the sounds of it.

(If you are not the lady in question, Steve58, you could support her by quitting the club too.)

Steve58 Wed 17-Apr-19 17:06:36

there is a princible here for all members

Nannarose Wed 17-Apr-19 17:38:54

I'm a bit unclear on Steve58's position, and they have been given sensible advice. I would add that if you feel that you need some 'back up' or guidance, then there is usually someone locally who can help.
If the club is a charity, then the Charity Commission have a useful helpline. Most 'social clubs' have some link or affiliation to a larger body such as a sporting body, village hall or Institute.
Our local authority has a worker who offers advice to voluntary, sports and social organisations, and she is useful when such situations arise. If however, it is just a small body only answerable to itself, then you must either follow the constitution or leave.

Steve58 Wed 17-Apr-19 18:20:52

great advice many thanks

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Apr-19 03:21:18

Don't do it alone - ask as many people as possible to back you and put your objections in writing to be raised officially with the Committee.

Try not to be personal, point out that hearsay is not proof and you would all like some sort of explanation as to why the decision to revoke membership was taken without this proof.

Innocent until proven guilty.

As others have said, there should be a Constitution or at least Guidelines governing club procedure. If not, then now is the ideal time to get one written for future protection so a little martinet like this cannot impose their will.

Steve58 Sat 20-Apr-19 05:59:45

Many thanks great advice.

Dragonella Fri 17-May-19 17:57:28

I'd say your best bet would be the Secretary. It's their job to advise the Committee to ensure correct procedure is followed. Unfortunately, 'innocent until proven guilty' does not apply here, as it is not a legal issue.