Gransnet forums

Chat

A frivolous train of thought...

(131 Posts)
Rosina Thu 18-Apr-19 08:52:33

This morning while applying mascara, I remembered the 'spit and scrub' type of the sixties. the small black and deep pink plastic case, the tiny black brush, and then 'Outdoor Girl' popped into my mind. Curious to see if anyone else remembered it I googled 'Outdoor Girl' - and it seems it is still going strong. Why do our brains retain these small facts? I know the words to the advertising jingle for 'Richard Shops'. Obviously I now need to steer my brain on to slightly more significant matters like paying some bills and walking the dog, but I did enjoy that little foray into my teenage years!

gransal Tue 23-Apr-19 00:24:05

I still remember my parents phone number as it is still the one mum uses today. Never had another one. I also remember Leichner foundation in a black tub. I used hint of coffee which must have left a dark brown "tide mark" on my jaw.!!! But hey ho thought I was cool.

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Apr-19 23:56:55

Lindylou23 Kunzle cakes were the first commercially produced cake I ever tried. I'd be about 14 or so. Mum used to bake and very occasionally we'd get other cakes from a local bakers.

But Kunzle were those ever-lasting processed things and to my palate they were absolutely revolting, possublt because I have never like sponge cake, and still don't, nor artificial cream.

Here's a good article about Kunzles from the T&A:

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/tahistory/10804715.grocers-window-display-boasts-kunzle-delights/

Lindylou23 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:52:21

Esso sign means Happy motoring cannot get tune out of my head,
Does anyone remember Kunzle cakes in a chocolate case ?

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Apr-19 23:08:38

PamelaJ1 Dolly Blue was a litle bag of compressed blue dye, with a wooden stick in the top, the whole covered by muslin.
When the white clothing was being rinsed, the 'washerwomen' (ie my Mum) would swish this bag about in the water and it gave a very faint blue cast to the whites. The idea being was that it would make them look even whiter.

The blue specks in today's washing powders are there for the same reason.

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ "All the dust, all the grit, Hoover gets out every bit as it beats, as it sweeps as it cleans." ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQO-V-9RAD8

PamelaJ1 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:57:45

BradfordLass, I was dressed up as dolly blue for a fancy dress competition at Caton Bay holiday camp.
I’ve no idea who dolly was but I think your picture must have been what I was representing?
I remember the jingle- It beats as It sweeps as It cleans.
Must have been a Hoover, it’s amazing how many carpet related jingles we remember.

wot Sun 21-Apr-19 20:31:39

Country Life butter. It's Country Life, its Englishtoo, From the cows on the meadow, down to you. Then it goes You can't put a better bit of butter on your knife! Best said with glottal stops ha ha.

squabblebottom2 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:17:17

Katy K. I remember this so well.
We has a hideous lime green watered silk cushion cover.
I have a vivid memory (aged 2 ish} of helping get this off the line, frozen solid.

gulliver12 Sat 20-Apr-19 09:54:56

That 4 digit phone number you can't forget is very useful for setting safes in hotel rooms etc.

KatyK Fri 19-Apr-19 18:30:29

My mother only had a mangle to put the washing through. I remember her hanging washing out in winter and when she brought it in it was as stiff as a board!

DoraMarr Fri 19-Apr-19 13:41:45

I remember Monday washing days. My mother had a twin tub that was brought out from under the sink behind a gingham curtain on Mondays. We would come home from school to find her tired and bad tempered, the kitchen floor awash, wet laundry hanging everywhere, and a scratch meal for tea. Life was so much better once she got a Hoover Keymatic because she could do the laundry over several days. It also meant that the Napisan bucket, which was also kept under the sink and emitted a powerful smell when you lifted the lid, was emptied more frequently.

LullyDully Fri 19-Apr-19 12:21:06

I have been singing " Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain" all my life seems to have got stuck in my poor old brain.
Does anyone have a carpet sweeper any more? Not to mention a twintub with wooden tongs. A Monday smell of Omo about the house.

Tweedle24 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:19:27

Bold: Purpledaffodil. I wore white or black lipstick, long mohair jumpers and black stockings. My father asked me not to call him 'Daddy' if I met him outside but refer to him as Mr ...

DoraMarr Fri 19-Apr-19 12:15:41

I remember paper knickers! I thought it would be a good idea to wear them when I went hitchhiking through France and Spain. On the first very long, hot day when we finally arrived at the youth hostel I found that the paper had disintegrated, leaving only the elastic around my waist and tops of my legs.

Tweedle24 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:13:01

"You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent."
There was also a very rude joke connected with this - not for sharing on Gransnet but, some of you might remember it.

FarNorth Fri 19-Apr-19 10:53:30

I couldn't stand Freddy Frinton's drunk act but liked him as Thora Hird's husband- can't recall the name of the show.

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 07:08:22

JaneJANE60 yes, that red stuff for teeth, I remember it well.

I liked Harry Worth, he was such a bumbler but my favourite was Freddy Frinton (still hilariously on YouTube) with his broken cigarette and drunken, 'Esscuse me ossifer....'

Could not abide smarmy Michael Miles, Hughie Green or Bruce Forsyth who all seemed happier when people lost than if they won.

George Formby made me cringe as did Normal Wisdom, for whom I felt sorry.

But I was mad about Rowdy Yates in 'Rawhide' later to become the world-famous Clint Eastwood.
Swooned over Clint Walker as 'Cheyenne' and later, Roger Moore as 'Ivanhoe'.

Further back I used Robin Starch, Sunlight Soap and Dolly Blue.

I love these trips down Memory Lane grin

Tamayra Fri 19-Apr-19 06:47:59

We had an advertising agency in London back them. So can personally own some of those ditties.....
Also
Viota cakes for busy mothers. (Packet cakes)

And the first automatic car ad.( Volvo I think)
Forwards to go forward
Backwards to go back.

Crispy64 Fri 19-Apr-19 05:54:53

Was the lipstick called strawberry meringue by max factor?

Lilyflower Fri 19-Apr-19 05:47:08

My husband had a free record given out by John Collier with an excruciating tune to the words of, ‘The Saturday night suit, by John Collier!’ We still call anything fancy we put on, ‘the Saturday night suit’.

Joyfulnanna Fri 19-Apr-19 02:36:04

Fizzers.. Your comment about the Richard Shops advert made me smile.. Went something like... Richard Shops are bringing you the pretty things, lots of lovely pretty things to wear...can't remember the rest of it.

Grandma2213 Fri 19-Apr-19 01:39:41

So many memories imprinted on our brains. Who says TV doesn't have an influence on us?! My baby toddler sister used to freeze and stare at the screen when the Smarties advert came on with, 'Buy some for Lulu' (She wasn't called Lulu).

My DGC are transfixed by 'The Simpsons' though they have no idea what's going on.

Pat1949 I think it was Perry Como sang the Shell song.

Serendipity1 Thu 18-Apr-19 23:16:46

Do the shake and vac and put the freshness back...

FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 23:05:04

Was I the only one who didn't understand the shout of "The Milky Bars are on me!"?

FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 23:01:37

I didn't think it was that so I asked Google. It was Thank Your Lucky Stars, with Pete Murray

sassenach512 Thu 18-Apr-19 22:55:05

Juke box jury FarNorth