Gransnet forums

Chat

7pm and the Bra is off.....

(117 Posts)
Mossfarr Thu 25-Apr-19 19:58:46

Am I the only person who finds it too uncomfortable to wear a bra after 7pm?

I can wear it in comfort all day but for some unknown reason it becomes unbearable in the evening.

watermeadow Wed 04-Sep-19 19:39:37

Why do women submit to this tyranny and discomfort? Our predecessors wore corsets and pulled in their waists until they could hardly breathe. Chinese mothers mutilated their little girls’ feet. Women still wear ridiculous shoes. All in the name of fashion.
I deeply resent the necessity of wearing a bra but I’m fat and wouldn’t dare go out without one.

Nortsat46 Wed 04-Sep-19 19:12:07

David Sedaris, a very funny American comedian, who is often on BBC R4, did an amusing piece about one of his performances and book signings. One of the women who queued to have her book signed said 'Oh, you made me put my bra back on'

He was nonplussed at this and asked what she meant. She explained she was at home and heard on the radio that he was performing at a venue near by and she decided to attend. She complimented him saying there were very few circumstances that would make her put her bra back on, in the evening, once it was off.

This is a phenomenon which David S was unfamiliar with, but he discussed it at other signings and performances and discovered there are legions of women across the US, for whom 'bra off, post 7.00pm' is an important part of their evening and a signal for relaxing. ?

Minniemoo Wed 04-Sep-19 19:02:15

I only wear when one absolutely necessary.

SalsaQueen Wed 04-Sep-19 18:57:24

You're not alone. My bra is off, pyjamas are on. Make-up washed off, face cream on. Heating is on, too grin

brendontailor Wed 04-Sep-19 18:49:09

I feel Ya! I'm a 34DDD for now.. last kid went to a 36i after my milk came in so I've moved onto to sports bras.. I bought a large today and it's WAY too small but I just can't fathom buying an extra large hahaha
The struggles. Victoria's secret has good sports bras but I'm not sure how big their sizes get.. I feel like DDD is the biggest they carry.
Try a specialty store?

twinlorna Mon 29-Apr-19 19:07:31

I started to go without a bra during the day and finally ditched it altogether about 3 years ago. I've never looked back. grin

Bellanonna Sun 28-Apr-19 13:22:50

DH has that allergy too sylvia. Not from bra-wearing I might add but from elastic in socks and has to alert re latex allergy in pre-op allergy questions. What a shame you’ve spent such a lot. Is this a newly-acquired allergy?

sylvia1231 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:01:21

I think I've got a latex/lycra/elastine allergy -after shelling out a fortune on Tu underwear. Especially on waist area.

DanniRae Sun 28-Apr-19 08:06:33

Thanks Gabriella - I have just ordered a flexi fit bra to try! smile

Grandma2213 Sun 28-Apr-19 02:49:58

Haven't worn one at all today as I didn't go out and didn't expect visitors. DGC don't notice me anyway let alone my bra-less-ness. I do that whenever I can so no wonder my boobs are dropping to waist level! Non underwired just slide up and cut my boobs in half but what mystifies me is that the engineers find wires in my washing machine in spite of the fact that my bras are still intact!!! Does DS have a secret?!!

GabriellaG54 Sun 28-Apr-19 02:35:13

Called a Flexi-fit bra. Great reviews. Moisture-wicking material keeps you cool.
I tried one on today but they only go up to an F cup, however, the one I tried was supremely comfortable. I would have bought 4 if they made my size. sad

GabriellaG54 Sun 28-Apr-19 02:18:04

ElaineRI55
Try M&S £20 two way stretch. White or pale pink marl.
No mono boob. Up to 40F.

NotSpaghetti Sun 28-Apr-19 00:21:59

Oops janeainsworth

NotSpaghetti Sun 28-Apr-19 00:20:46

janeainswirth I remember those bras. Totally hideous and in terms of support, pointless!

lizzyann Sat 27-Apr-19 19:40:19

Already in nighty and dressing gown , much more comfortable

MaudLillian Sat 27-Apr-19 17:42:42

I don't wear one at all if I'm staying in all day - I hate them. When I get home from a day out, I change into my lounge clothes - no bra and baggy top and trousers.

OurKid1 Sat 27-Apr-19 17:07:57

Not only will the bra be off by 7 pm, so will the jeans, the jumper, the pants, the earrings, the make-up and anything remotely restricting.

The nightie and dressing gown, however, will be on. Don't want to frighten anyone.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 27-Apr-19 15:49:45

Happy keeping my bra on but as soon as possible I put my pj bottoms on and a lightweight sweatshirt. In fact I have them on now.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 10:14:15

no e of ?
mine off?

MrsEggy Sat 27-Apr-19 10:14:07

When was it decided that women should (must?) wear bras? My mother, who was a "flapper" in the 1920s, never wore one until my wedding in 1964. She wore corsets as she grew older, but not bras. Women seem to have survived without them in earlier generations!

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 10:12:27

Hmm, yes I do take no e of more or less when I get in. Depends if I'm alone or with someone, however, I do wear a sleep bra (Bravissimo) or a sports bra when I take the day one off as I don't want saggy breasts.
I do always change into leggings and cami top, bare feet. I wear as little as decently possible. Don't like jewellery or scarves...no rings or watch. I didn't even wear an engagement or wedding ring. No nail polish except on toes and no make-up.
I'm as bare as they come.

CherylMoon Sat 27-Apr-19 09:11:57

I went bra-less a month ago due to an inflamed muscle. I’m liking it so much I might stay this way. smile

HG15 Sat 27-Apr-19 09:07:56

When my husband was alive we got ready for bed at bedtime. Now 6 pm is PJ time and I love it. I would much rather have him and a cuddle up on the settee but you have to find new rituals to make life bearable and being comfortable is one of them.

janeainsworth Sat 27-Apr-19 02:24:14

Does anyone remember Mava breastfeeding bras? They were recommended by the NCT and had a sort of lace up arrangement at the back. I got a couple by mail order and the sight of them reduced MrA (and me) to helpless laughter for several minutes.

I’m not well endowed but feel uncomfortable without a bra on. This one’s my favourite uk.triumph.com/wired-padded-bra/amourette-300/10166798.html?cgid=912200&color=3683_Sterling%20Blue

Merryweather Sat 27-Apr-19 02:08:42

None wired soft cotton or sports bra style are so much better and not restrictive. Big bandwidth between each breast helps support your frame and helps your posture. The stretchy material means it moves with you too.
I brought some from the giant online retailer -made by Lilly and Lilly plus a few stretch maternity ones which are heaven, not branded ones.