Gransnet forums

Chat

How to address letters in the modern world

(59 Posts)
MamaCaz Sun 28-Apr-19 17:41:55

Some of you will realize that this thread has been prompted by another, but it's definitely not about that thread.

It got me thinking about how we now address mail in the following situations:

If I am addressing, for example, a Christmas card that is going by mail to a married couple who share the same surname, I would usually put Mr & Mrs Jones, with no initials.

If the same card was going to be hand delivered, I would just use the couple's forenames
On a more formal letter, I would write Mr A & Mrs B Jones - in other words, I would give each their own initial, rather than just using the man's, as I find the latter very outdated.

I find it harder when the recipients are not married, or don't share the same surname.
Ok, if it is very informal, I might just use their first names (I've done this with my own sons and partners/wives), but it doesn't feel right for anything formal.

I suppose, thinking about it, I would omit Mr and Mrs, and use the initial and surname of each, A Jones & B Smith, but I realize how that I've never had to do this, so it doesn't yet feel 100% natural to me.

What do others put, and is it different from what you would have used in the past?

Magrithea Tue 30-Apr-19 19:04:03

There was some correspondence about this very subject in the Daily Telegraph recently.

If I'm addressing anything to a couple I always use Mr & Mrs J(ohn) Smith but if sending to a female friend who's married I always use her initial. One of my friends does the 'old fashioned' thing of using my husband's initials when sending anything to only me i.e Mrs J Smith which I find very irritating! As for cohabiting couples I'm not so sure - Mr J Smith and M(is)s A Brown is probably the best!

moggie57 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:41:59

mr and mrs .and miss for single person or mr.for single man.

Mapleleaf Tue 30-Apr-19 09:06:03

Jocork - a similar thing here. A friend remarried, but for years I didn't know her husbands surname. I did ask in one of my letters, but was never told. Another family member told me when I eventually bumped into them. It did seem odd addressing the envelope by first names only.

jocork Tue 30-Apr-19 07:49:57

I struggle with a Christmas card to an old friend who married later in life. She notified me of her marriage to 'Lawrence' and their new address. She failed to tell me her new surname though. I still send a card every year addressed to 'Lawrence and Di' which always seems odd! I've even emailed and asked what her surname is but got no reply - just continue to get a card from 'Lawrence and Di'.

Legs55 Mon 29-Apr-19 22:57:57

My DD is in a same sex marriage, Christmas cards are addresses to Mrs A & Mrs B followed by surname as DD took her partner's (wife's) surname, she hasn't told me she doesn't like itgrin

I agree with GrowingOld & gillybob it is difficult knowing how to address envelopes to same sex couples, probably best to ask. As for finding cards I just want nice cards that say to my DD & DiL in the same way that you get cards to DD & SiL or DS & DiL, I don't want twee cards just nice ones, they take some hunting out but the last 2 years I have found beautiful Christmas cards.

I expect to be addressed as Mrs as I am a widow, I hate Ms & as for being addressed by Health Professionals etc by my forename, that's a dreadful assumption as I've always been known by my middle nameconfused

grannyticktock Mon 29-Apr-19 22:22:17

But gillybob, why do your cards have to show a couple at all? I don't send my married daughter a card showing a couple (of people, animals or anything else) I choose one with a picture that's relevant to her or that she'll like. The only time a card might show a couple is when they actually get married, and even then there are plenty of cards with wedding cakes, champagne glasses etc. Or if you must have a pair of something, try birds, they're usually gender-neutral.

gillybob Mon 29-Apr-19 21:30:01

You misunderstand me grannyticktock I don’t want a card showing a pair of gay bunnies at all, just a card with nice words and a nice picture not featuring a traditional male/female couple.

MagicWriter2016 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:43:35

I am still guilty of using the male only initial when writing to a couple, as in Mr and Mrs J Smith (hubby would be called John in this instance). I still use Master or Miss if writing to unmarried youngsters and use Ms if not sure with adult females.

Iam64 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:21:49

Are you suggesting other women who had successful careers didn't do it through merit as well lilypollen?
I was promoted on return to work after mat leave. My baby was 8 months, I was still breast feeding before and after work. I overheard a male colleague, who'd applied for the same post but not been promoted suggesting that "you have to be a lesbian or a breast feeding mother to get promoted here these days".
The vast majority of managers were male. Just saying.

watermeadow Mon 29-Apr-19 19:48:41

Etiquette changes over time, of course. We no longer use the forms Jane Austen knew but I try to use the form my recipient would use, so Mrs J. Smith if she’s old, John and Jane Smith if younger but married, John and Jane if they aren’t.
In my youth children were Miss or Master and an unmarried lady remained Miss.
I hate Ms but it’s rarely used anymore..

lilypollen Mon 29-Apr-19 19:46:14

Bijou I agree. Been married for over 40 years I am Mrs. Actually couldn't wait to show off wedding ring at work once we were married. I had a career in my own right and back then got where I was through merit, not ticking female boxes....just saying!

Fennel Mon 29-Apr-19 19:42:48

I would like to be able to address one of our next gen. couples by their first names eg Jack & Jill.
But I don't know if the postman will understand.
Unless the address is the most important thing?

Iam64 Mon 29-Apr-19 19:30:56

My 3 year old grandson often arrives shouting 'hey guys, we're here'. I love him and love his enthusiasm so he guys does it for me.

I write to people as susan jones and John brown, ignore doctorates, or Ms Mrs Miss Mr - who needs it. If they're married and trad I'll probably put Mr and Mrs Fred Jones though I do worry about where Mrs Susan Jones fits in that.

Gay couples if married, unless they've changed their names or combined them just use both full names. It's simple.

maddyone Mon 29-Apr-19 18:33:46

Incidentally, with regard to my above post, I thought we lived in a more liberal and caring society now. With people behaving like that, I’m clearly wrong!

maddyone Mon 29-Apr-19 18:32:22

Doodle, I think the person with a female name who objected to being addressed as Madam, was seriously rude. How was your friend supposed to know that she identified as a man? I’m afraid people like the man/woman who behave like this are insufferable. No offence was meant, none should have been taken!

Bijou Mon 29-Apr-19 18:11:23

I am old fashioned and do like to be addressed as Mrs.
I address son and his wife as Mr and Mrs.
I think it is disrespectful for companies to address me by letter or telephone by my forename.
I will be noticed that I don’t like using acronyms.

BlueSapphire Mon 29-Apr-19 17:43:42

My brother remarried and his second wife double-barrelled her surname with his. So when I send a Christmas card it has to be addressed to (for example) 'Mr L Smith and Mrs M Wilson-Smith.'

JackyB Mon 29-Apr-19 17:34:31

I did my secretarial training in the early 70s, and we weren't taught the correct form for, say unmarried couples, and certainly not if they have children. I just list all the names. I would have to look up how to do it properly. It is not done in Germany to address a couple using just the husband's initial. I have forgotten what to do there, so I use the useful: "Familie Schmidt".

When sending a condolence card, the family may have different surnames and the Germans can get round that with"Trauerhaus Schmidt", meaning the "House of mourning" and the surname of the deceased.

Jenro Mon 29-Apr-19 17:31:59

What about emails? The sensible way seems to be to save time, go straight in with Hi or Hello or Good morning, Jane, and end simply with one's name, or Love, or Regards, according to the relationship. What is the approved the business style and what is casual?

grannyticktock Mon 29-Apr-19 15:25:25

The same-sex marriage thing is so new that there is probably no rule. I think if I needed to know, I would ask the couple how they like to be styled. Friends can dispense with titles and just use full names, but banks, insurance firms etc must be establishing some sort of pattern and I expect before too long there will be an accepted style of address.

Gillybob, I think your search for cards featuring gay cats or lesbian bunnies is doomed. Why do you need to depict a couple at all on a card? Can't you just find a nice card with a picture of trees/boats/fireworks or whatever, and write your own greeting in it?

gillybob Mon 29-Apr-19 14:36:46

I have a similar query to GrowingOld . How do you address a card or letter to a same sex couple?

Mrs & Mrs ? or Mrs's or just first names?

Its easier when I text them as I just say "hi girls"....

I struggle to even find cards for my DD's best friends who are a same sex couple as they all seem to have a female looking bunny and a male looking bunny (dog, cat or whatever) even when the words read "to a lovely couple" they are still aimed at male/female couples.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Apr-19 14:34:58

I address letters to my children's generation using first name and surname of recipient e.g. Ann Smith. If they are a couple who don't share a surname, I write, Ann Smith and John Brown.

If both have a doctorate and use their title, then the letter should either be address to Dr. Ann Smith and Dr. John Brown, or to Ann Smith Ph.d and John Brown Ph.d, or whatever the relevant academic degree is.

Drs. Smith and Jones would be an option, especially if they are physicians.

You could if they are friends just write Ann Smith and family.

The easiest thing is to simply ask the person concerned what form of address they prefer, or if you don't know them and it is a business letter, ring their secretary and ask.

Milly Mon 29-Apr-19 14:31:59

I had to ask my gay friends how to address their Christmas card as Mr Jones and Mr Smith seemed cumbersome. They said Messrs ! Which I's what I do now but feel I'm addressing a firm !

inishowen Mon 29-Apr-19 14:29:55

When I was an army wife in the seventies we were not known by our own names at all. We were referred to as WO John **** (Wife of, then husband's name) How outdated was that!

MamaCaz Mon 29-Apr-19 12:58:07

lilypollen
The only couple I used that style for we had known him longer.

That makes sense to me ☺