Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you like your 'professionals' to dress?

(118 Posts)
kittylester Mon 29-Apr-19 11:18:53

I had to see a doctor yesterday and, apart from the fact that she was only 12 and kept calling me 'dear', she seemed very competent.grin

DH couldn't get over the fact she was wearing t shirt, jeans and trainers rather than being more smartly dressed.

What do you think?

glammagran Tue 30-Apr-19 16:55:37

I’ve just returned from gp visit and was NOT impressed to see a receptionist with several facial piercings. Traumatic visit though, as an elderly patient died in the waiting area which was cleared.

Jan16 Tue 30-Apr-19 16:07:04

My young doctor wears casual trousers and an open necked shirt. He is kind confident and very competent. When my husband came into the surgery with me today he shook his hand and introduced himself and gave us all the time we needed. To me that is all I needed

Theoddbird Tue 30-Apr-19 14:30:28

This is something that I have never thought about so I don't think it is important to me. I go to see a doctor very occasionally. I know they are a doctor but can't say I have ever thought about what they were wearing.

Jacqui1956 Tue 30-Apr-19 14:14:24

Forget about what they are wearing as long as they are good at the job. I was a nurse in the days when doctors used to wear white coats. They were often really dirty white coats!
Then they wore suits and their sleeves and ties used to touch people before they moved on to the next patient, and the next patient!
Now they wear either short sleeved tops and if they are wearing a tie they tuck it in their shirt so it doesn’t touch people. They even wipe their stethoscopes between each patient. When we were in NZ the doctors wear shorts and t-shirts or scrubs. Scrubs can be thrown into the laundry at the end of every shift.
I think it’s more about hygiene and reducing the risk of cross contamination than if they look nice!

Biggs Tue 30-Apr-19 13:38:27

I want to see my ‘professionals’ in clean clothes but would rather they were casual than a formal suit, I want to be able to talk to them not feel I am in an interview.

Lilyflower Tue 30-Apr-19 13:22:32

Clearly, hygiene is an issue but, beyond that, professional people should dress professionally. Scrubs rather than scruffs!

Alexa Tue 30-Apr-19 13:20:24

I'd imagine a holistic therapist in a flowing Bohemian dress and long hair and well aware of not being patronising.grin

Saggi Tue 30-Apr-19 13:20:20

My doctor could be stark naked....but I’d she/he knows what’s wrong with me and cures me with the right medication I couldn’t care less. What nonsense going on about what folk wear.

Gingergirl Tue 30-Apr-19 13:12:51

Clothes have changed over the years. I’m a holistic therapist and twenty years ago I wore a suit when seeing clients...now I might wear some (smart) jeans. Everything is less informal and it doesn’t bother me. However, I would never call anyone ‘dear’. That bothers me more....I think it’s patronising.

Alexa Tue 30-Apr-19 13:08:37

The general opinion that has emerged from this discussion is that patients do care how the professionals appear to patients. The same general opinion I assume applies to the decor of the medical centre or the hospital.

Would any gran here like a medical centre or hospital that was got up to look like some old granny's bedroom or sitting room?

What the general opinion is that medical personel should dress with a view to hygiene and modesty without looking like stuffed suits, or office workers of any grade.

Luckygirl Tue 30-Apr-19 12:54:12

I do not mind what they wear (or whether they are still in nappies!), as long as they do a competent job politely and with compassion.

At one time doctors were told not to wear ties in hospitals because research had shown that they were a potent source of cross-infection as they trotted from patient to patient; and I confess (at risk of being slaughtered) that I do feel concern about the flowing garments and head gear that some doctors wear. If a tie can carry bacteria etc, so can these garments - more so, I would have thought.

Ducks below parapet!

Alexa Tue 30-Apr-19 12:40:41

A man I knew was hospitalised with manic depression. More than one other patient told him that when they were suicidal in hospital they did not know who to go to for help as the nurses dressed casually just like the patients.

kittylester Tue 30-Apr-19 12:30:42

I didn't mind the t shirt though it could have done with an iron! grin

It was DH who was bothered but he did wear (stripey blue) white coats for 50 years.

fizzers Tue 30-Apr-19 12:21:22

Doesn't bother me how people dress, as long as they are clean and tidy, act in a professional manner and know their job

1inamillion Tue 30-Apr-19 12:15:42

I've had regular hospital appointments over the last 25 years with the same consultant until he moved recently. He was dressed smart/ casual and more importantly had my absolute trust. Mostly the GP's at the local practice are dressed casually but I've not seen anyone wearing geans though.
My DiL is a hospital Registrar and has done her last consultant's exam recently. She is always smartly dressed but not overly so. She's very good at her job and that's the main thing isn't it? The staff who work in the dept will ask for her first rather than the consultant.
Occasionally when introducing herself to a patient, the said patient will ask to see the doctor.
DiL 'I am the Doctor'
Patient ' But you're a woman'

Kitty I wouldn't mind the t shirt etc but I'd hate to be called 'dear'.

Izabella Tue 30-Apr-19 11:28:13

Another one with Flexible friend here. It is medical competence that is important to me. The rest is window dressing imho, although I accept others have differing views. The best trauma consultant I ever worked with was a scruffbag but he was and inspirational leader and excellent clinician. We all had total confidence in him and I learned so much from him

EthelJ Tue 30-Apr-19 11:25:10

I don't really care what they wear to be honest I'm more interested in how they behave and what they say.. But for some reason I find a doctor dressed informally much easier to talk to than one wearing a suit and tie.

Shortlegs Tue 30-Apr-19 11:19:45

Teachers:. Why do so many dress as if they have smeared glue on their bodies and ran through a charity shop?

EEJit Tue 30-Apr-19 11:17:52

As long as my GP treats what ails me she can dress as Tinkerbell for all I care.

Laurely Tue 30-Apr-19 11:11:09

I have just read 'This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of Junior Doctor' by Adam Kay, which tells of his experiences as a hospital doctor between 2004 and 2010. It explains why sometimes they look a bit rumpled and scruffy (long hours, no time, too tired...) Terrifying.

blueberry1 Tue 30-Apr-19 11:02:01

"come in"

Tillybelle Tue 30-Apr-19 11:01:39

I'm fine with it so long as medical professionals are clean. I did hate it when one Doctor's hair used to dangle on my body as she leaned over to examine me, I thought she should tie it back.
Actually I think casual clothes are more friendly and the people in "power suits" can be too daunting. For younger people especially it must take away some of the fear to see their Doctor dressed in ordinary clothes. Trainers are very comfortable too.

blueberry1 Tue 30-Apr-19 11:00:35

My 40-something GP wears designer dresses and red-soled Laboutin shoes.She struts around the surgery like she is on a catwalk.It is very off-putting and inappropriate in my opinion.She is not even a good doctor,does not explain things or listen properly to concerns.It's "come in,take these,bye," and I always try to see a different GP in the practice even if I have to wait longer.

JanaNana Tue 30-Apr-19 10:56:43

I remembered my husband saying last year at his doctors appointment that he was quite surprised when his GP (male) was wearing shorts and trainers, the doctor is probably in his 50s and usually in regular type of clothing. However it was during the heatwave so why not. As long as they still do their jobs properly and effectively,I don't suppose it really matters.

Amira15 Tue 30-Apr-19 10:54:09

Those starched nurse uniforms and aprons were very uncomfortable to wear. I did my Sick Children’s nurse training at Great Ormond Street decades ago. We had to wear the most ridiculous hats that the children used to grab off our heads as we bent down to check their observations ? I’m retired now but think scrubs which are changed daily are so comfortable and hygienic. I love the American ones bright and colourful. Not sure about the dangly earrings and flowing hair though!