Gransnet forums

Chat

The secret to a long and happy life

(22 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 02-May-19 10:07:12

Three wonderful people talk about how to live long, healthy and happy lives.

If only we could all be like this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AThycGCakk

What's your secret?

M0nica Thu 02-May-19 18:13:47

There isn't one.

grumppa Thu 02-May-19 18:17:47

Luck!

BBbevan Thu 02-May-19 19:42:58

I have had a happy life so far. I have always been optimistic and content. Whether it will be a long life I can't say. So far so good

Liz46 Thu 02-May-19 20:05:52

Thanks for the link BradfordLass. That was lovely.

Nannanna Fri 03-May-19 09:24:01

Look for the positive ...in everything ?⚘??????????⚘???

blondenana Fri 03-May-19 10:59:41

Hoping its down to genes too, not had a particulaly happy life, but i try to keep positive, but my mother and grandmother lived well into their 90s,with no serious health problems

Wiltshiregrams Fri 03-May-19 11:18:22

My husband died suddenly when he was just 40. My daughters were 8 and 10. The hardest thing ever was having to tell them their daddy wouldn’t be coming home.
My youngest daughter had a pretty disastrous marriage which ended 5 years ago. Her ex continues to haunt us with bullying behaviour. However we have always remained positive - two grandsons help enormously. I always say to myself it is so much easier to stay near the top than let ourselves get really down. So much harder to get near the top again. We are what we have been through, if that makes sense.

JanaNana Fri 03-May-19 11:44:18

I think contentment plays a big part, being happy with what you have and not longing for things ....things don't make you happy. Also good health, as you can do so much more if you are not struggling with health issues. Genetics as well, some families have a history of longevity. A combination of many things. I have met quite a few people in their late 80s & 90s during the course of my working life and the ones who were the most robust and energetic were the ones who were the ones who were always on the go, doing something, some still cooking their own meals from scratch. Others enjoying gardening and going for walks, and when inside doing various hobbies, always having something stimulating them. There are probably other factors too, friendships and family. Some people find it quite easy to occupy themselves without needing much company and are quite content, while others need the stimulation of other people to motivate them. And lastly your own outlook on life and how you perceive things will reflect on how you live it.

Annaram1 Fri 03-May-19 12:45:05

Those oldies in the video are all so positive and I don't think it really occurs to them that they are getting old. Luck has a lot to do with it. If your life has been largely happy and you have not had too much hardship and illness and your genes are good, you should live to be as old as these happy centenarians.
When I briefly joined a dating agency one of the questions was "What do you do for fun?" Most of the men gave sensible answers such as walking, dancing, theatre, travelling etc. One poor fellow answered "Fun? What is that? I have never had any." I don't think any woman would contact him, but I suppose he was hoping for sympathy, He had a miserable face too. Not much point living to be 100 if you are so pessimistic. .

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-May-19 12:51:22

I think that being happy with what you've got helps, not being too envious of others who seem to have it all. It's not things that make you happy - it's people, isn't it?

overthehill Fri 03-May-19 13:05:51

Count your blessing. I than God every night to have survived another day with my DH and ask Him to bless all the members of our family. I had a bad childhood due to a narcissistic mother. One bad but short lived marriage then my life turned round when I met my husband of now 44 years. I am in the fortunate position to have enough money (not rich by any means) to be able to go out take holidays etc. also although being diabetic type 2 coming up for 20 years this year and having IBS I manage these conditions as well as I can and don't let them stop me having a good time.

red1 Fri 03-May-19 14:00:09

your upbringing,maybe genes, if your parents were troubled, good chance you would get the wrath of it.Education,dont mither yourself with religion, politics etc although its good to fight for injustices. good luck,bad luck-who knows?
Some of the greatest at writings come from troubled folk,
life is difficult ,so maybe the few who seem to breeze through it are in the minority,and we shouldn't aspire to be similar.

Blinko Fri 03-May-19 14:16:22

I loved the link, BradfordLass. Thank you.

Day6 Fri 03-May-19 14:40:49

My life has been hard since my early 20s, and all about keeping going when the chips are down. 2019 has been awful so far in terms of two new ailments of the organs (discovered via routine blood tests) and hospital consultations. Don't need it. I already have so many flippin' chronic conditions.)

However, I want to shake 'poor me' types - the ones who have nothing very much at all to grumble about - and try to keep buggering on, doing all I can to keep going. I am determined to enjoy what life I have left - hope to have a couple of decades, but ho knows? -and to value all the good things going for me. I am mobile and that in itself is great.

I think a positive disposition is a wonderful asset. I tell myself that despite the personal blows along the way, I am lucky to have a 'never say die' attitude - and strength to bounce back. (I inherited that from my parents, who had so little to be grateful for but were wonderful role models in looking for silver linings.)

One of my relatives is a complete fun-sponge (I like that term!) She can suck the joy out of anything (and always does!) with her miserable 'poor me' attitude which is mostly hypochondria. It makes me so mad when I consider how lucky she is (she really is so fortunate in many ways!) and how little in her life has gone 'really' wrong.

So, for me, it's a willingness and desire to keep going, knowing we are now pensioners with bodies starting to deteriorate, but have life still, to be lived, which is something denied to others we've known, who all died far too young.

Destin Fri 03-May-19 16:28:42

Thank you Bradfordlass - that was such a great video to watch - each of these wonderful folk had such a great attitude on life and it’s also quite refreshing not to hear about their children, their grandchildren and their worries! Everyone has a “nugget of happiness” somewhere inside them - and the more we appreciate happiness for what it is and decide to live each day optimistically the more happiness we are able to spread around.

As an afterthought - interesting that a question like this posed on Gransnet receives so few responses - but a ‘doom and gloom and poor me’ post activates page after page of responses - many of which quote the responder’s own “doom and gloom and poor me” situations! That doesn’t shine a very positive light on the readers opportunities of leading long, healthy, healthy lives!

Redrobin51 Fri 03-May-19 20:20:50

Wonderful video thanks for posting it what positive people. I have had a very difficult life especially healthwise and nothing has been handed on a plate to me. I have always had a positive outlook which has helped me overcome my difficulties. Try not to envy what other people have just get on with your own life trying to enjoy whatever positives you do have as there is always other people much worse off. I think putting something back into life helps as it is a good feeling to be able to help others. I have accepted less well paid jobs in order to do jobs that I felt were in some way contributing to the happiness of others. I find selfish, introverted, self centred people always seem to be the unhappiest.x

Ohmother Fri 03-May-19 21:20:42

Always remember there’s a plan ‘B’. And if there’s no plan ‘B’ there’s a plan ‘C’, ‘D’ or ‘E’. ???

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-May-19 05:49:39

I was very inspired by the positive, happy people in the video, all of whom had seen at least one war and its tragedies.

Yes, I agree that a positive attitude is certainly helpful when you're battling the odds - and we all have to at one time or another.

Chins up chaps grin

Grandmother1234 Sat 04-May-19 11:01:27

Your health is your wealth and a loving family

nipsmum Sat 04-May-19 11:13:11

OH I so agree with BBbevan. Being positive and content has served me well for the past 78 years. I can be stressed but it is not allowed to take over my life. I had a very stressful job too and survived that for 48 years so I'm not doing too badly.

David1968 Sat 04-May-19 14:41:07

"Always look on the bright side of life.....tee tum, tee tum, tee tum, tee tum"........Always look on the light side of life...." (Is this the answer?)