Gransnet forums

Chat

Does no-one check bank statements any more?

(25 Posts)
Willow10 Fri 03-May-19 14:14:03

Does anyone else find it odd that everywhere you shop these days they ask you if you would like your receipt? I pay mostly by card and yes, I do want a receipt. a) to check my bank statement and b) in case I need to return something. A shop assistant was having a moan to a colleague this morning and I heard her say "And if that's not enough, now we have to ask if they want a receipt - EVERY TIME!' So I tookmthe opportunity to ask what was the point of it - to save paper? She said "Don't ask me - nobody tells me anything!" confused

I bought a skirt in a place where I never normally shop and was asked the same question. I said yes and got my paper receipt. When I got home there was an email attaching my e-receipt! And apparently I received this email (full of marketing info) because I requested it! Err - no I did not! How did they get my email address? So much for privacy!

Anja Fri 03-May-19 14:24:55

Yes, check mine, online, quite often.

You must have provided your email address somehow at some time Willow10

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-May-19 14:29:45

Just a piece of information the "paper receipts" are not what they used to be, you will find that the ink fades much quicker. Always handy to have a back up of e-receipt.

janeainsworth Fri 03-May-19 15:50:44

I’ve only been asked whether I want a receipt for inconsequential things like a cup of coffee or a newspaper. I always say no thank you.
A paper or electronic receipt is essential for goods and services in case you want to return anything or complain.
I check my bank statement and credit card statement online nearly every day and cross examine MrA in depth over any mystery purchases which have appearedgrin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-May-19 16:04:27

I always get a receipt as I don't want any 'mystery items' on my bank statement, thank you very much - I may be fussy but I tick off every item.

Purpledaffodil Fri 03-May-19 16:27:28

Read somewhere that you should have a receipt because there have been cases where cashback has been added to a purchase and the cash pocketed by dishonest worker. Conspiracy theory? Not sure. ?

Fennel Fri 03-May-19 16:40:21

We check ours regularly.
I have a friend who refuses to start banking online. So they don't know what has gone in and out until they get their monthly paper statement.
They have internet, but she says she's scared someone hacks into their account.
I'm suprised banks still do paper statements - they're with Barclays.

Tabbycat Fri 03-May-19 16:56:32

I always ask for a receipt - especially in pubs/restaurants where we've had a meal - several times I've been given someone elses or things have been added. Just this week my mother and I had lunch in ASK in Leeds; I had a voucher for 20% off food, which I gave to our server before we ordered, when the bill arrived the reduction hadn't been made!
Also, if you buy something in a shop and they don't put it in a bag anymore, how do you prove that you've paid for it without a receipt?
I bank online, but still check my statements carefully wink

M0nica Fri 03-May-19 17:07:15

I always check my bank statement and all the family ones, plus credit cards, but I only keep receipts if I might want to return something if it faulty or as proof of purchase for a guarantee.

I still know what every item on the bank or credit card statement because I will recognise the amounts and the information on who it was paid to. I also use cash for a number of smaller transactions - under £20.

In a restaurant I will always check the bill before I pay it

Willow500 Fri 03-May-19 17:09:52

I always take the receipts. I enter them onto the piece of accounting software I use and regularly reconcile that to the bank statement - I wouldn't know where I was if I didn't. Years of doing accounts for work I guess. It does surprise me the number of people who pay contactless and don't even wait to be asked if they want a receipt.

Floradora9 Fri 03-May-19 18:16:58

I look at my bank accounts every day online and know right away if anything is wrong . I love internet banking being able to transfer money , set up standing orders, pay bills etc. at home . We lost our local bank last year but I seldom went into it .

ElaineI Fri 03-May-19 21:46:26

I check mine - online now but I like to know that everything is accounted for. Also if you need to take anything back shops don't always accept a printed out bank statement and want the original receipt.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 19:46:18

No need. I can never get to the bottom of it. grin

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 19:49:31

Your family let you check their bank statements and credit cards?
Aren't they in charge of their own finances?
That's a bit personal.

dahlia Sun 05-May-19 19:54:12

I regularly check my statement on line, and check my supermarket receipts, too. Can't think how we could quickly prove we have paid for all our purchases, and years ago we were charged £15 for a bag of apples (overlooked at the desk) so we were able to march straight back in again clutching the receipt! I have read reports that the ink on receipts is non-degradable, this may be a complete myth!

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 19:56:50

As long as I don't get letters from banks then I rarely check on the apps as all online shops send email receipts. I keep a broad runnnng tab in my head and when I do check on the 3rd of every month (as my DDs go out on the 1st) if there is more in the bank than there was the previous month then I'm doing ok.

Buffybee Sun 05-May-19 20:14:26

I check my bank statement online probably every day.
A couple of weeks ago, I found two items of thirty ish pounds each for TK Maxx.
I immediately knew that these purchases had not been made by me so rang my bank and after a few questions they told me the amounts would be paid back into my account by them and the case would be passed to their Fraud Dept.
They asked if I had done any unusual transactions recently and I told them that funnily enough I had bought some Spices online from a small independent store in London on the same day as the fraudulent purchases. Ahhh! He said..
By the time I had finished my call, they had transferred the money back to my account and that is the last I've heard of it.
I've often thought that when you hand over your card details and the 3 security numbers on the back, what is to stop an unscrupulous person using these numbers themselves.
I now know that it can happen!

MamaCaz Sun 05-May-19 20:19:53

We always want a receipt if paying by card, however small the purchase.

One shop in our area doesn't give (or offer) receipts unless the customer specifically asks for one. Woe betide anyone who leaves the shop without then realizes that they want one, as the staff get quite stroppy if you turn around, go back in and ask for it, as they then have to rifle through their waste paper bin behind the counter to try to find it.

I really don't understand why they don't just hand them over automatically to all customers, unless it is to try to reduce litter dropped outside the shop!

Happiyogi Sun 05-May-19 21:44:19

I've noticed that when I use the new scan-as-you-shop in Sainsburys the machine asks if I want a receipt when I'm paying. I wouldn't dream of leaving with £60 worth of food, no receipt and no way to successfully return anything that turned out to be faulty.

However, the sting in the tail is that some forms of till receipt are known to contain BPA which can be cancer-causing. It primarily affects staff who are handling large quantities of the paper.

So yes I want a receipt to prove I've paid, but no I don't because of the environmental aspect and the cancer risk!

jeanie99 Mon 06-May-19 00:35:11

I was asked today also if I wanted a receipt, it does seem odd. Why would you not want a receipt, it's proof of payment for a start and I check my statement whether it is a credit card statement or debit card or cash.
I've been charged more than once twice for a purchase on my credit card.

Lyndiloo Mon 06-May-19 02:01:35

I check my bank statements weekly, and always get receipts.

One thing I am particular about (now!) is checking restaurant bills. Never used to bother. But recently have found so many mistakes! £6 for a coke ...? 4 deserts charged for instead of 2 ...? A slap-on 10% service charge ...? Nah! Check your bill!

Grandma70s Mon 06-May-19 06:02:55

I can't be bothered to do online banking, so I still get a paper statement every month. I check it quickly when it arrives. I can see at once if there are any unlikely items, because on the whole I know what I spend. Mistakes are very rare - in fact I don't think there’s ever been one. Same goes for my card statements.

Grannyknot Mon 06-May-19 08:42:17

I don't check my bank statement because I get a text every week with my balance, I have a very good idea of how much goes out of my bank account and that is my "check" ...

I'm careful about asking for receipts though and checking there and then. Last year we were on holiday in Devon and had a meal out and husband paid for it and I was standing nearby and said "That's too much" (having seen the prices on the menu). He squirmed (of course! why can't some men cope with things like this?) and off we went. It bothered me so much that I went back the next day (with no receipt) and asked for a copy of the receipt from their system (I could give our table number). Sure enough we had been overcharged (the explanation was that another table's drinks round - not cheap! - had been inadvertently added to our account). Needless to say, the refund went into my purse ... and I tried not to be smug. smile

janeainsworth Tue 07-May-19 17:46:22

Sure enough we had been overcharged (the explanation was that another table's drinks round - not cheap! - had been inadvertently added to our account

That’s happened to us too gk and it does make you wonder, doesn’t it?

Grandad1943 Tue 07-May-19 20:37:13

My wife and I never take a physical receipt for anything that we pay by card for any longer. We both feel there is no need as the card transaction is placed online in your card account often within hours of the purchase.

Argos are no longer even offering paper receipts for online "click and collect" purchased items as your order and collection data is your guarantee and proof of purchase.

Also helps save the planet, fewer trees chopped down to make paper.