Gransnet forums

Chat

we so need a second loo

(54 Posts)
petunia Thu 09-May-19 08:36:17

(I mean this to be lighthearted0

I really, really really need a second loo in the house.

We downsized several years ago and are now both retired. We have a lovely house and garden but I so want a second loo. Maybe a second bathroom. But there's no way to add one without major expense and upheaval

When we were both working, it didn't matter. Our routines kept us busy and out of each others way, but not now. Whenever I'm about to shave my legs/have a shower/cut my toe nails or whatever, there's a plaintive cry at the bathroom door. His bowels need to move AT THAT PRECISE POINT.

And no, he cant wait. It has to be then. So I stop what I'm doing and let him in.
Then of course, I have to go back in to the smell that creeps up my nostrils and lingers all day.

I believe there's some unknown biological mechanism that men possess that alerts their bowels to the woman's need for some time in the bathroom. Its like an alarm clock.

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-May-19 12:25:44

Don't no where washing came from!

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-May-19 12:24:26

Nonnie I actually prefer my washing machine and tumble dryer in the downstair utility for a number of reasons.
1, noise - it is on a solid floor where as upstairs it would be on floor boards.
I also would not like the noise whilst in the bedroom.

2 If there was unfortunatly a flood or leak from washing machine it would probably cause less damage downstairs than it would upstairs and no risk of ceiling coming down.

3. Yes, I agree most of laundry is upstairs in laundry basket, but when bringing it downstairs, it is dry and much lighter and easier to carry than coming downstairs with wet washing to hang on the washing line.

My utility (and kitchen) is at the back of house so only have to carry washing in and out over a short distance. Washing

Nonnie Sat 11-May-19 11:30:20

Not really the place to ask this but why are our washing machines downstairs? We create washing upstairs, bring it down to wash then take it back up. Europeans seem to have more sense.

Grammaretto Sat 11-May-19 11:12:00

My niece has a Victorian terraced house but they've managed to squeeze a loo into what was the original kitchen, now a utility room at the back of the house and turned the dining room into a kitchen diner.
You just need a clever architect.

Once in an emergency, when we had a teenage weekend gathering at our house with around 20 sleeping on the floor and only our one loo, I borrowed a chemical portaloo from a friend and rigged up a screen.
No one used it!!!
These young things are like camels.

grannyticktock Sat 11-May-19 10:50:24

I think an extra loo or bathroom almost always adds value to a house. People expect to have more than one loo nowadays, so I'd say do it if you possibly can.

When we moved into this house which we bought for our retirement, we split an enormous bathroom, creating an an ensuite loo and shower room next to our bedroom, and leaving a goodsized "family bathroom" (as estate agents would say). OH made this his bathroom, while I used the ensuite. It was an excellent arrangement - we would never ever have wanted to sleep apart, but separate bathrooms - bliss! Now I'm on my own, I have a rarely-used guest bathroom, and it's nice for guests not to have to share with me.

callgirl1 Fri 10-May-19 21:48:03

CrazyH, I don`t have an upstairs bathroom, just the wet room and toilet downstairs, in a small extension from the back of the house, my bedroom is at the front upstairs. That is why I think it would be expensive, there isn`t any piping up there for water, just in the small bedroom at the other end of the landing, but I don`t want a toilet in there, it would make the bedroom too small, as well as having 2 steps down into the room, and I have difficulty with steps.

M0nica Fri 10-May-19 20:40:43

DD built a small utility room off her kitchen, not a loo but it was so small it could have been if she so wanted. The bathroom was above the kitchen, as it is in most houses and in a bungalow they are normally adjacent so no problem with the plumbing. She lost her view of the garden from the kitchen but still had it from the living room.

If the only window in the kitchen is at the back extend the kitchen into the garden and take the back part of the original kitchen and turn it into a loo.

Franbern Fri 10-May-19 09:58:41

I seem to have spent a goodly part of the past fifty plus years putting in toilets in houses I have lived in.
In 1964 we purchased our first house when we got married. A Victorian house with an outside toilet. People before us had used part of the back bedroom to install a bathroom, large room and eventually we also put a toilet in there. Access was via the back bedroom, but it did gives us two loos.
Only stayed in the next house for four years, a new build with a downstairs cloakroom and bathroom upstairs. Grew out of this when our twins were born and moved to a much larger 1920's house, four good sized bedrooms, but just one toilet, next door to the bathroom. With young children we had a second toilet installed into that bathroom. Several years later, we divided the large back reception room downstairs and turned that into a room containing a loo, shower, etc. and room for washing machine.
Left there to come to present 1930's house. One toilet in bathroom, second loo downstairs in little more than a cupboard (had been the old outside toilet, turned round so entry was now from indoors, (just). Had that modernised and even managed to install tiny washbasin in there.
Only me in this house, but I had always wanted an en=suite - mainly to give me a separate shower cubicle (the one I had was over the bath). When I had the loft made into a bedroom for g.children, used the new under stairs place for this en-suite.
My kids laughed at me, 'Why?' they asked, 'did I need three toilets, when only I lived there?' But all three had their used and place.
Hoping to move soon to a flat with just one toilet in the very nice, modern shower room. No place to put any others, so will bring that phase of my life to an end. Four houses between 1964 and 2019 and have installed five loos

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 07:51:03

We often think it’s time we downsized a bit, but one absolute deal breaker would be one bathroom, we have four in this house, two would be sufficient, but four is very useful when there are a houseful of visitors!

Downside? Somebody’s got to clean them!

annep1 Fri 10-May-19 07:20:54

Crazyh you could get one of those loos that caravanners use for emergencies. Very easy to empty.

GabriellaG54 Fri 10-May-19 00:00:52

crazyH
? you could call it that but the benefits are all one way. Mine. ?

crazyH Thu 09-May-19 23:48:27

Callgirl, my friend had a cupboard converted to a toilet and handbasin. I don't think it cost that much. Get a couple of quotes.....you might be pleasantly surprised,. Is your upstairs bathroom directly above your wet room?

callgirl1 Thu 09-May-19 23:43:41

I`d love an extra toilet. Our bathroom, now converted to a wet room, is downstairs, as is the toilet, which is OK most of the time, but I worry about what would happen if my stairlift conked out whilst I was upstairs. I have a small walk in cupboard in my bedroom which would just about take a toilet and tiny hand basin, but the plumber who did the wet room said it would work out very expensive.

crazyH Thu 09-May-19 18:05:28

Gabriella - I call that 'friends with benefits' ?

Lazigirl Thu 09-May-19 18:03:39

We bought a smallish new house with three loos, two showers & a bath. They all need cleaning!!

FlexibleFriend Thu 09-May-19 17:58:32

I already have a downstairs loo but my next project is to nick a bit from the back of the integral garage for a very swish shower room. Just have to decide whether to convert the utility room to the shower and put the utility in the garage or leave the utility room be and put the shower room in the garage. Either way it's the same amount of space.

LadyGracie Thu 09-May-19 17:33:51

We moved from a three WC house to a one WC bungalow, there is no way we can extend to incorporate another WC. We’re going to buy a portable one for the garage, which is enormous, and can be partitioned for use in emergencies.

lemongrove Thu 09-May-19 17:33:00

Presumably sulphur? The matches.
Yes, an extra loo is very useful, when watching tv we always want to rush off to the loo at the same time.

Witzend Thu 09-May-19 17:20:02

Yes, striking a match does work! Never knew this was a thing until I asked my brother why he had a big box of matches in the bathroom.

I hope you find a place to squeeze an extra loo in, OP.
I couldn't do without one - dh takes AGES in the bathroom, and that's just for shower/shave/teeth -he spends so long with those little brushes.
As for going to 'commune with his soul', as my father used to put it, when he disappeared with the newspaper, I won't go into that!

Sussexborn Thu 09-May-19 16:45:17

Strike a match in the loo - smells disappear and much cheaper than the chemical perfumed stuff.

Before we married I worked in an estate agents and couldn’t understand why an extra lavatory was required. Made life a lot easier with the family and even now the grandsons seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in ours and at least we have somewhere else to go if need be.

kittylester Thu 09-May-19 16:15:46

Having had a big family and having as many loos and showers as we could squeeze in, we now have 4 showers and 3 loos between the 2 of us. Sort of overkill now.

aggie Thu 09-May-19 15:56:56

Garden shed with a commode ?

annodomini Thu 09-May-19 15:55:02

Mine is a late Victorian end-terrace and I have only one loo - upstairs. Now that I have dodgy knees, I yearn for my old house which had a downstairs loo. It's lovely when I visit DS2 and family - 3 showers, a bath and 4 loos but sadly I do have to come home. Don't tell them my visits are purely for 'convenience'.

Slowcookervegan Thu 09-May-19 15:29:17

So it goes from the children wanting to use the loo when you arein there to your husband. I even have pets wanting to come in with me.
Buy the place next door its the only answer grin

gulligranny Thu 09-May-19 15:19:32

When DH and I were house-hunting I kept in mind the wise words of Sir Michael Caine who said that the secret to a happy marriage was separate bathrooms! So like HildaW above, we have a modest house but we have two bathrooms upstairs and a downstairs loo, and all is sweetness and light (except of course when DH has been in his bathroom for what always seems to be hours, but I'll draw a veil .....)