Gransnet forums

Chat

Pet hate!

(67 Posts)
H1954 Thu 09-May-19 13:33:08

The recent announcement and the comments on GN regarding the new Royal baby's name got me thinking.

I DO NOT like to called or even read anyone else addressed as "Chick" "Hun" or "Babe"!

These are all popular on social media, why can't people use someone's correct name?

jaylucy Fri 10-May-19 09:58:31

"Hun" makes my skin crawl ! Originally it started on FB between men and women on some of the chat groups- short for "honey"
I don't mind being called " darling" or "love", round here "me duck" doesn't get used much anymore!

Johno Fri 10-May-19 10:00:20

I come from that rare person who frankly does not give a damn. The clear intention of the people using said words is to be nice. The intention is everything, context is everything.

Farawaynanny Fri 10-May-19 10:04:57

I’m another that hates “fur babies”. It’s a dog/cat so call it that! Where on earth did the term “fur baby” come from?

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 10:05:42

I asked my husband, very early in our relationship, to only use my name, he’s stuck to it!

sue01 Fri 10-May-19 10:14:05

Born in Somerset, I love being called My Lover, in a soft West Country burr.

Now I'm in Northants it's My Duck... or rather Me Dook.

Like that too.

We call Medoc, Northamptonshire wine.

lovebooks Fri 10-May-19 10:20:20

"Aw bless!" is GHASTLY! And to 'dear' or 'love', I'm tempted to ask "Are we in a relationship?"

nipsmum Fri 10-May-19 10:25:07

I was putting bins out one day recently and heard a very Glaswegian voice shouting " morning Doll" . I looked around and had to laugh, it's a very long time since this 78 year-old was called Doll. It was the window cleaner, and he was speaking to me. It made my day.

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 10:25:08

We had a colleague who called all the men Buddy, and all the women Darling, I don’t think he could ever remember anyone’s name!

rizlett Fri 10-May-19 10:31:32

I struggle with kiddies - reminds me of kiddy fiddling. sad

and hubby - way too twee and as bad as saying wifey

Margs Fri 10-May-19 10:39:12

The word "Hubby" really sets my teeth on edge.

Women who refer to their partners as such make the poor man sound like he's either a bluddy Toby Jug sat on the mantlepiece or he's a carbon copy of Terry from the sit-com "Terry & June".

Please don't do it ladies.

Annaram1 Fri 10-May-19 10:39:27

Oh dear! You have probably noticed that when I write about my late husband I often refer to him as hubby. When he was alive I never called him by his name. . We called each other "Darl."

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 10:43:01

Hubby! Can’t bear it!

Phoebes Fri 10-May-19 10:56:49

I can't bear "hubby" or "the wife" or being called "You guys" When I first came to Oxford I was amazed to be called "me douk" by everybody. Don't hear it so much now though.

Aepgirl Fri 10-May-19 10:58:43

I am happy to be called anything - just don’t ignore me!

Craftycat Fri 10-May-19 11:15:54

My otherwise lovey DiL calls the children' guys'- one is a girl. I hate it. I have lovely neighbours but they all call each other (& me!) Hun! I guess it is so they don;t have to remember names!

HannahLoisLuke Fri 10-May-19 11:23:10

My son and his girlfriend delight in calling each other 'Dear'
They're in their mid twenties!

It's rather funny.

Swanny Fri 10-May-19 11:30:20

One woman I meet with regularly calls everyone in the group 'Babes'. I'm sure it's because she can't be bothered to remember everyone's name smile

Another person I know always says she doesn't care what people call her as long as it's not late for dinner grin

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 11:59:06

I have a lovely friend, who always calls her husband ‘hubby’ it’s “hubby said this, and hubby did that “ it’s awful!

But what was worse, when I was a young mum, I was friendly with a girl, and when her husband came in from work, he’d call “hello Mummy “ and she’d reply “hello Daddy” ! What on earth was all that about!

lemongrove Fri 10-May-19 12:18:58

Hun is awful in my view, ditto babes.
Hubby is a bit grating, kiddies sounds sinister, but I don’t mind love or dear, or darling etc if said in a friendly non patronising way.
Guys seems to be used a lot now, it’s ok by me.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-May-19 13:17:46

I have always disliked "hen" which is commonly used to girls and women in the Glasgow area.

I've never found real hens all that appealing either.

maddyone Fri 10-May-19 13:52:49

I don't mind any of them, except perhaps 'dear' as it makes me feel old. All the others are friendly and kind. I quite like being called 'Madam ' too, especially in France. It's respectful in my opinion.
I call my own children 'chick' even though they're all grown up, but I've always called them chick, it's my pet name especially for them. I call my grandchildren 'chicken' or 'darling,' my husband calls them 'little darling ' because they are little and they are his darlings.

minxie Fri 10-May-19 14:05:49

A man comes into work everyday and calls me sweetheart and I like it, I don’t mind love, darling etc I don’t mind that either
I do detest the word hubby though it makes me cringe

NannyC1 Fri 10-May-19 14:24:48

Where I am from we women get called Queen. Which is fine by me. I just straighten my crown and get on with my day.
Sometimes the lads refer to the g/f as me bird. But that's because of the worms they pick up!!

Peardrop50 Fri 10-May-19 14:33:14

NannyC1, very amusing, I'll use that next time I hear a man refer to his 'bird'.

Nvella Fri 10-May-19 15:18:52

I am another who HATES hun with a passion - and it’s misspelled!