Gransnet forums

Chat

Virtual emotion

(21 Posts)
allassinsane Mon 13-May-19 08:35:57

That's exactly what it's like rosecarmel. I think the fact that we're all individuals with different characters, ideas and experiences adds to the 'plot'.

rosecarmel Mon 13-May-19 06:21:20

I don't have a favorite forum member, I like them all, and am grateful this forum doesn't have a like button! It keeps the playing field level -

To me, a forum is like reading a book that's almost constantly in the process of writing itself - There's character deveopememt, plot lines, written by infinite authors - Its an interactive read and it matters not if the author isn't someone's cuppa in real life/time..

smile

Septimia Sun 12-May-19 21:19:17

Yes, good post Bradfordlass
Like allassinsane, I 'lurked' for a while before joining GN. I joined because of the useful information and the practical and emotional support to be found here. It's such a wonderful supportive group of people that it's a shame when some of them are bad-tempered. Let's stick to helping each other!

Tangerine Sun 12-May-19 20:49:58

Where is MissAdventure? Is she OK or does no-one know?

Mapleleaf Sun 12-May-19 20:30:35

Thank you Bradfordlass for your nice post.
Yes, I agree, we’re a bit like family. We have our ups and downs, and our disagreements as well, sometimes, but generally it’s a good place to come just for a chat, or advice or even to vent on occasion!. There’s always someone ready to offer support, guidance and a friendly word. I love it.

Urmstongran Sun 12-May-19 18:55:03

Oh BradfordLass what a sweet post.

When I first came on GN I felt overwhelmed and posted occasionally and cautiously. I wondered how on Earth you all got to kind of ‘know’ one another? I got to realise some actually met up, so that must have helped. But over time (many months actually) I began to ‘place’ people better. Mick with his ‘good morning’ thread definitely helped. It’s gentle, reminds us all where we post from and ‘introduced’ me to posters gradually.

I’ve had some lovely private messages and now I’ve really come to appreciate my virtual friends. Although I’m not one for meeting up I do love to read about you all.

I’m amazed and humbled by the way some cope with the slings and arrows in life. Those of you are struggling in various ways are pretty awesome in my book.

I ❤️ GN! I never thought I’d get so involved.

fairisle Sun 12-May-19 18:41:23

smilewine to GNetters

Buffybee Sun 12-May-19 18:19:05

I agree BradfordLass it's great having our virtual friends here on Gransnet and as you say feel genuinely sad and happy for people we've never met.
I feel that each posters personality comes through when you get used to their posts and that makes you feel as though you know them.
Some as you say are miseries and some a bit too feisty for me but the majority are lovely.
Thank you my virtual friends! ?

Day6 Sun 12-May-19 18:16:04

Like you BradfordLass I have been very moved and really upset when reading of the difficult circumstances other Gransnetters are going through. I don't 'know' the posters concerned either.

And some people, including you, have the knack of posting lovely messages. It's what makes GN a good site. People generally care for each other.

As always, perhaps I ought to exclude the News and Politics threads from that last sentence. Daggers are often drawn there. I am glad we mostly agree to disagree. Never discuss politics or religion they say. grin I can see why.

hugshelp Sun 12-May-19 17:41:43

I am coming to love my friends that live in my 'puter.

allassinsane Sun 12-May-19 16:45:47

I'm new to GN but have 'lurked' for quite a few months. I agree it's a heartwarming place.
Some of the posts I've read have made me laugh out loud and then others have been heartbreaking, and I've shed a tear or two.
It's good to know that this is a place where you can open up if you want to, have a joke and a laugh and get advice if you need it, and discuss topics of the day without anyone being too judgmental. smile(hope I spelt judgmental right!)

lemongrove Sun 12-May-19 13:22:18

Great post Bradfordlass ?
Actually, yes, where is missadventure come to think of it?
I know she has a very busy life, so hopefully that’s all it is.

Auntieflo Sun 12-May-19 13:15:29

Bradfordlass, what a lovely post, and so echoes what I think about folk on here. I often get very emotional about other people who write on here, often with their heart on their sleeve. Thank you, and keep on being a GNetter.

glammanana Sun 12-May-19 13:11:05

Such a lovely post Bradfordlass and so true this forum is full of very knowledgeable GNers who really go out of their way to help in one way or another.
Over the years I have made some fab virtual friends who are always there if I need them and I could pass them in the Street and wouldn't know them from Adam.

KatyK Sun 12-May-19 12:19:25

Lovely post Bradfordlass. People on here are lovely.

NanaandGrampy Sun 12-May-19 11:05:30

I agree Bradfordlass .

I have been surprised at how overwhelming it can be reading about other people’s sadness and challenges . The desire to empathise without being able to actually physically help has been something I didn’t realise could be so sad .

I’m amazed at the strength, courage and good humour that people face some of the saddest situations with.

You’re heroes !!

kittylester Sun 12-May-19 10:16:08

Good post BradfordLass. I love gn and would miss it hugely if it wasnt there.

crazyH Sun 12-May-19 09:48:20

I fully agree Bradfordlass.....Thankyou and everyone else who post here.

ninathenana Sun 12-May-19 09:47:26

Thank you BradfordLass for giving us insight into life "down under" and being part of the melting pot that is GN.
The fact that we don't all agree, just adds interest IMHO

SueH49 Sun 12-May-19 09:41:09

And thank you too BradfordLass, for your caring and measured posts.

BradfordLass72 Sun 12-May-19 09:16:36

It's amazing how, in this world of digital 'reality' one can feel genuinely sad and distressed for those whom we've never met but know are hurting.

I've shed many a tear at problems listed here - and yet I don't even know what any of you look like.

I miss MissAdventure Her posts were vibrant and often sassy.

I laugh at old Rufus - always trying to put one over on the ladies - and never quite making it smile

I marvel at the huge wellspring of knowledge and kindness shown to those asking for help.
And have learned to feel sorry, rather than irritated about the (very few) posters who grump and gripe at everything.

I'm usually awake when everyone else is asleep in the antipodes (UK) but I get my Gransnet fix after tea - and go to bed to think about you all.

It's not so long since I didn't even know Gransnet existed and yet now it, and all of you, are friends I wouldn't want to lose.

You've enriched my life - even those who've made me cross on occasion, so thank you one and all. flowers