Gransnet forums

Chat

A lovely thought

(16 Posts)
DanniRae Mon 13-May-19 11:40:06

I have just called my daughter for a l-o-n-g chat. She gave up work last Wednesday because she is now on maternity leave and is so delighted to be home. I am delighted too to be able to phone her and speak to her regularily........when she was working (as a teacher) she was so busy we didn't have much contact. Mind you things will be different when the baby arrives..........no long chats then I imagine.

Jane10 Mon 13-May-19 11:26:57

Is it? Oh no. I'll have to rush now as I have to go to DGS's birthday tea at 3.

Eglantine21 Mon 13-May-19 11:23:28

Just finished my coffee.

Oh look, it’s nearly lunchtime ?

EllanVannin Mon 13-May-19 10:57:39

No way could I be rushed in the mornings now. Going to work or even getting up at 3am for an early long-haul flight. The thought of it now gives me the jitters so I appreciate taking my time and certainly taking things a lot easier than I did so in the past when I used to meet myself coming back a lot of the time----hospitals being busy places.
My days still go by quick enough and I'm never bored. Right now I have a lot to be thankful for compared to the lives of many others and for that, I'm very grateful.

Bellanonna Mon 13-May-19 10:35:22

I love the sound of your fun day ginny. Long may they last.

Davida1968 Mon 13-May-19 10:05:39

That's truly a lovely thought and I think it often. Especially on a Monday morning!

Jane10 Mon 13-May-19 10:03:16

Joy indeed! I still really appreciate my relaxed starts to the day and feel fed up when I have to be somewhere for eg 10am. Such a rush!

ginny Mon 13-May-19 00:00:49

Totally understand how you feel. On Friday I spent considerable time playing Buzz Lightyear to D 3 year old DGSs Woody. Also , smelling flowers, watching bees going into their houses through a hole, poking all sticks into manhole covers , discovering a very large fungi in the woods and having my make up put on by a very slapdash beautician!
The joys of having time to enjoy all these things.

Jomarie Sun 12-May-19 23:17:35

Totally get where you are coming from *Eglantine21 - I too have been retired for a number of years now but quite frequently, particularly on a Monday, squirm and stretch in my bed covers luxuriating in the fact that I
don't have to get up and I have no little ones demanding attention .
Definitely (definately) a perk of the acceptance of retirement, old age or whatever - loving it.

crazyH Sun 12-May-19 22:31:52

I am retired....didn't work long anyway. Was made redundant by my ex husband. Yes, seriously.
Not having to get up early, has made me an owl, and also very lazy.
I wanted to volunteer in a charity shop, but I don't think i could stand for hours on end. Any excuse ?

jogginggirl Sun 12-May-19 22:26:13

Eglantine21 ???

Eglantine21 Sun 12-May-19 22:24:24

Yes well the thing is, I haven’t had to go to work for the last twelve years, so why I should suddenly turn into Gloaty McGloat Face I really don’t know.....

phoenix Sun 12-May-19 22:13:11

Humph! I was just thinking "must set the alarm as I need to be at work a bit earlier than usual".

So I suppose I should think about going to bed soon.

Sara65 Sun 12-May-19 21:30:27

That’s lovely! Enjoy your day, have a lie in!

Luckygirl Sun 12-May-19 21:28:15

Enjoy!!! smile

Eglantine21 Sun 12-May-19 21:22:55

I was sitting here when suddenly into my head popped the thought

I don’t have to get up and go to work tomorrow

Just thought I’d share that with you........