Gransnet forums

Chat

How to have a delightfully aromatic home...

(60 Posts)
Rosina Mon 13-May-19 13:25:38

I thought I might pass on this little tip; when arriving home almost on your knees with several bags of extremely heavy shopping, unpack same and place giant size bottle of fabric conditioner on worktop. Remove jacket, and in doing so ensure that you catch giant bottle with elbow and send it crashing onto tiled floor, where it will split from end to end and a tidal wave of conditioner will surge across your shoes, the kitchen floor, and into the dining room.
Spend the next hour or so trying to clean up slippery liquid which does not want to be absorbed into any kind of cloth or kitchen paper. Then keep filling bucket with hot soapy water and repeatedly mop slippery finish from floor. Lastly, with help, pull out cooker, large and heavy fridge, and dishwasher, and remove all kick boards on kitchen units in order to repeat the above over the next hour or so. Try to ensure that grandchildren, who arrive in middle of exercise, do not hear what you are muttering.
Your home will smell wonderfully of 'Clean Cotton' .
Alternatively, light a scented candle.

Anyone else have any household tips learned in similar manner?

Craftycat Tue 14-May-19 10:41:12

Thank you Rosina- I did exactly the same thing last week- minus GC arriving. I did have 4 cats parading through the mess though so had to catch them & wash their paws- did not go down well!
I was so annoyed as I had just bought the huge bottle of Method Peony Blush liquid & it wasn't even on special offer that week but I'd run out.

Saggi Tue 14-May-19 11:14:15

Yes Rosina...well an anti-tip really ...dont drop a bottle (glass) of TCP....two months for the ‘aroma’ to finially disappear! Gross...but infection free!

Judi45 Tue 14-May-19 11:35:04

Talking of spillages - I had put 3 bottles of red wine in a bag in the boot of my car, left them all night and in the morning the car smelt like a pub. Couldn't think what it was until I found one broken bottle - what a waste of Merlot - which had seeped through everything. What happened next? Endangered species in uniform asks what I'm doing, smells alcohol and asks me if I've been drinking! 8 in the morning!! Breathalizes me as I have car keys in hand! Then understands and helps mop up, car still smells like the aftermath of a good party, hope I don't get stopped by the police again!

Angeleyes58xx Tue 14-May-19 11:36:25

Rosina, I think I would rather light a candle lol ?
Joking apart I feel your pain having to clean all that slippery conditioner up, I bet your sinuses are clear now too ?
No one can say your kitchen floor is dirty, bless you.
This post did make me smile though, Thank you.
Sending you Much love ? and Hugs ? xx

granzilla Tue 14-May-19 11:41:18

That's one that Mrs. Hinch didn't think of.
Made me smile

Grannyguitar Tue 14-May-19 11:51:04

I use vinegar in the last rinse instead of softener. It neutralises the last of the detergent, and leaves the clothes soft. No, I don't smell like an escapee from a chip shop, the slight smell is gone once dry!

Teacheranne Tue 14-May-19 11:53:38

My worst spillage was dropping a bottle of gin as I took it out of the car boot! Not a strong smell as it was on the drive but such a waste!

As for smelly cars, you can't beat the stink of a long lost dirty nappy, once had one wedged under a car seat and it took me ages to work out what the awful smell was and locate it!

The most difficult mess to clean up was very concentrated coffee dribbled up the stair carpet after my son tried to make me a cup using his toy tea set and a full jar of coffee - and a tiny amount of water! Luckily the carpet was beige with mottled spots of dark brown so the remaining stains didn't stand out too much. But I never got it out of his pyjamas or bedding!

Houndi Tue 14-May-19 11:55:02

We arrived on our holiday to Mauritius brought Vodka and Rum from the Duty Free my husband dropped the bag with the full bottle of vodka in.The mauritian who welcome us was hindu and said to us dont worry in his religion when a bottle is smashed when you arrive it signals a new beginning lets hope he right as last year was the worse year of my life my mom died
The manager smiled at us and said dont worry they do it to ships all the time.This was a start of one of the most wonderful holidays i have had

SueDoku Tue 14-May-19 12:04:59

GillT57 I agree about the amazing covering power of a small amount...! Last Christmas, at DDs, I opened the fridge - and a carton of double cream, with about an inch left in it, toppled off the front of an (over-filled) shelf....
Unfortunately, the top hadn't been clipped on securely, so it hit me - covering me in cream from neck to waist - then rebounded into the edge of a lower shelf - covering everything on that shelf in cream - then fell to the floor - covering a large area of slate tiles in cream...! All in a splint second shock
It took two of us over an hour to clean everything (while fending off 2 curious DGC and a dog) and the grouting in that area of the floor has never really been the same..!!! confused

nipsmum Tue 14-May-19 12:08:28

Oh bless you. You've kept your sense of humour against all the odds. Sorry to laugh.

Blinko Tue 14-May-19 12:10:06

Years ago, I was painting the woodwork in he kitchen with a sort of marine blue gloss paint. DS1 aged about two and curious, dipped one foot complete with new leather boot into the paint pot....

Chaos!

H1954 Tue 14-May-19 12:20:16

Oh dear! I sincerely feel for everyone who has posted on this thread with their own spillage disasters. Fortunately, the only major mishap I had was as a teenager helping with "tea" one night after school. I thought I could easily open a 2lb bag of frozen peas in the same way as we would open a packet of crisps, how wrong I was. Yes, you've guessed it, peas all over the kitchen but I did manage to get a few dozen in the saucepan!

Just a little tip in case people are unaware, spillages of cooking oil, melted lard etc and broken eggs clean up much easier if covered in salt first and left for a few minutes.

Singlegrannie Tue 14-May-19 12:22:41

I get more sensitive to smells and sprays as I get older. I am currently recovering from spraying the friendly on my roses, think I'll give in to them in future. Don't use fabric conditioners or air fresheners or perfume.

Singlegrannie Tue 14-May-19 12:27:25

Worst spillage, olive oil. Took ages to clear up but at least it's good for the wooden floor ( advised by ENT consultant not to have carpets). Hate spilling something just as I'm serving up a meal !

acanthus Tue 14-May-19 12:35:43

Awful isn't it to enjoy reading about others' disasters? Thank you all for your spillage stories. My own experience of something similar (although no large quantity of liquids involved) was when we had just moved into our first house.
The elderly lady next door kindly came round with a tray of tea and biscuits, complete with (now collectable) green 'Beryl' teapot, cups, saucers and milk jug.
We stupidly dumped it on the old enamel draining board which immediately gave way. Fortunately our local hardware store sold Beryl tableware and we were able to replace, but our neighbour was somewhat frosty ever after.

Magi Tue 14-May-19 12:39:46

I managed to spill a bottle of olive oil in the caravan. It took weeks to get it all up but floor was nice and shiny!

Molly10 Tue 14-May-19 13:26:40

I feel for you Rosina having done something similar. Fortunately, the conditioner bottle was only about half full. I'd put the top on but not secured it as I intended to use it again. Later I picked it up to move it but it slipped through my fingers and bounced on the floor. it didn't break and only about a quarter of what was in the bottle spilled or splashed around. It was a nightmare to clear up and very very slippy. It smelled lovely for ages though.

Tips:

Use bicarbonate of soda instead of conditioner.

Soak a clean dishcloth in a fabric conditioner mixed with water then hang over airer or radiator to dry and it fragrances your rooms lovely.

NotSpaghetti Tue 14-May-19 13:30:03

Unpacking a tin of gloss paint (British Racing Green), dropped it over our first ever brand new, wool, sitting room carpet.
Spent many many hours with a metal fish slice, dustpan, rags and turps cleaning it up, whilst fending off “help” from 5 children.
I did get it all off eventually. It was a spill of ginormous proportions but with persistence and lots of shampooing after the event, even the smell was gone...
Unlike the spilt milk in the footwell of the car that just would not budge!

Singlegrannie Tue 14-May-19 13:33:23

Just re-read my post. Why oh why does "greenfly" get changed to " friendly " ????

jenkins Tue 14-May-19 13:55:48

my washing machine is in the garage off my kitchen along with my fridge-freezer..left the conditioner on top of the washing machine with top not screwed on properly..I then slipped on the spilt mess landed with my back on the stone step and pulled the door off the fridge trying to get up ..comfort wasn't the word I used....

Rosina Tue 14-May-19 14:05:43

Oh jenkins - you made that sound so funny but I'm sure it wasn't, particularly the stone steps and your back. Having read these replies I think I got off lightly! At least it was all over in a couple of hours, involved a pleasant smell and as commented, under the cooker, fridge and dishwasher the tiles are spotless.

aggie Tue 14-May-19 14:15:32

A spill of oil is easier to clean up if you throw a bag of lour on it !

annodomini Tue 14-May-19 14:23:56

When DS2 was young and irresponsible (as opposed to middle aged and semi-responsible), he bought a beer kit from Boots. He was decanting it into containers on my gate-legged kitchen table but hadn't secured one of the leaves. Result - 40 pints of beer all over my kitchen floor which had carpet tiles. Cats were paddling in it and every tile had to be picked up and put out in the garden. The house smelt like a brewery for weeks. Unforgettable - and I've never let him forget it.

Parsley3 Tue 14-May-19 14:46:12

I spilled a bottle of fabric conditioner onto a carpet. I never did manage to clear it up properly . It left a stain and after a while it began to smell. Eventually, I had the carpet professionally cleaned and the man who did that came back twice to make sure the smell had gone. I am really careful with those conditioner bottles now.
Good tip about second hand cars.?

sandelf Tue 14-May-19 14:50:17

Oh thanks for the laugh - every something has a silver lining.