Gransnet forums

Chat

Cold caller, rude, but ...

(51 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 14-May-19 07:50:34

Yesterday's cold caller must have been having a bad day.

Once I had ascertained that she was calling from some company "currently doing energy efficiency surveys" in our area, I told her, reasonably politely, that I wasn't interested, didn't own the house we live in, and wanted removing from their list as I am fed up of all the cold calls that we get.
As I expected, she began the usual response to this, which would (I presume, based on what normally happens) have been to try to convince me that I had nothing to lose by agreeing to what they were offering,
However, after just a couple of words, she stopped, and I caught the words, " oh, you know, I really can't be arsed" as she hung up.

Yes, it was rude, but I was actually quite amused by it, once I had taken the split-second decision not to be offended just because I could, if you know what I mean ?

It must be a soul-destroying job to do!

hereshoping Thu 16-May-19 07:43:23

Don't you find that no matter how many times you ask them to repeat it, they always mumble the name of the company so that you are none the wiser. At that point they lose me.

vena11 Wed 15-May-19 14:45:59

I keep my land line on answer phone all the time because of the amount I receive , if its someone important they will leave a message . It certainly saves you having to keep get up to answer them .

Mamma66 Wed 15-May-19 06:06:46

We are plagued with cold callers to the extent we don’t actually answer our landline. Friends and family ring our mobiles. One day my brother was round and the landline rang. He asked if I was going to answer and I explained why not. He said, “oh please can I answer?” So I told him to fill his boots.

The conversation went like this... CC: “Are you the homeowner?” Brother: (in a very friendly tone) “No, sorry I‘m not.” CC: “Can I speak to the homeowner please?” B: “They’re not here right now.” CC: “Do you know when they’ll be back?” B: “No, not really, but not too soon I hope, as I’m a burglar and I’ve broken into the house, I was just stealing the phone when you rang!”

For some reason they hung up... ????

NannyC1 Tue 14-May-19 23:39:16

I love it when I get a accident claim person in the phone. Oh the stories I make up. Then I tell them actually it was my fault as I'd been out drinking all afternoon and I was sending a text etc etc. I not only don't drink and drive I Don't drive!!!

moggie57 Tue 14-May-19 23:20:11

my brother told me to say something rude if it was a male caller.,same guy always phones and says about funeral insurance, .told him this time it would be his funeral i would be going to .if he called again.next morning same guy .i asked him if he name was wayne kerr. ??/that shut him up .no more cold calls from him...(smiles) you should try it it works.

GreenGran78 Tue 14-May-19 21:37:42

Legs55 Judging from the number of Range Rovers and the amount of gold jewellery that the travellers that visit our area own, they could probably afford to pay cash for one without batting an eyelid.

boat Tue 14-May-19 21:09:54

An even worse job than being a Cold Caller must be being the Civil Servant who has to make a response to press questions on behalf of the Home Office.

"The Home Office actively seeks to make things easier for vulnerable people who find themselves in the position of applying for asylum in this country. We uphold Britain's proud tradition of welcoming those who need refuge from oppression. So welcome Windrush Generation, people from other EU countries and their children and children of people from Commonwealth countries settled here (as long as they pay a hefty fee)."

I know that none of them actually say all of this. I am being ironic.

I may be mistaken but I can't remember this department being so toxic before T. May was in charge. I actually don't think she is a very nice person.

olliebeak Tue 14-May-19 21:03:07

My sister and I were sharing stories about 'cold callers' earlier today - she informed me that she just passes the receiver to her 2yr old grandson and tells him that 'somebody wants to speak to him' .............. methinks maybe I'll have to do some extra child-minding, specially so I can do the same thing ;-)!

Onestepbeyond Tue 14-May-19 20:17:06

I respond thus- The number you have called is a Company number and therefore we cannot uphold your offer thanks '
or if I can't be arsed.. its the long stand......

annab275 Tue 14-May-19 20:07:22

it goes something like this:''Hello I hear you have been in an accident that wasn't your fault? is that correct?"
Me 'Really? I had no idea, how do you know these things? "
and then the person hangs up on me.
I worked in a call centre for about 10 years - the drop out rate was huge, but some callers were lovely, others just very rude and demanding. The people who got the best service were those who were polite and respectful. I wasn't paid enough to take abuse from anybody and told them so, very politely.

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-May-19 19:38:30

I try to be polite. I'm sure making cold calls on minimum wage isn't anyone's idea of a dream job. I'm even reasonably polite, but firm, with what are obviously scam calls, as I'm pretty sure the person on the other end of the phone isn't the so-and-so raking in the cash.

If they're rude to me, it's no holds barred. grin

Our BT line does filter out nearly all the cold calls anyway, and we have the facility of adding a caller to the banned list immediately if we do actually pick up and find it's an unsolicited call.

Bekstar Tue 14-May-19 18:33:11

Its more likely she took in the fact yoi were asking for yourdata to be removed and your name taken off their lost and knew it was unlikely you wanted to be involved in what she had to offer amd instead thought with the requesting removing your name etc that this is what wshe couldnt be aesed with, not the acrzal call. To remove your name from lists now due zo the GDBR they have a lot of work to do, notjust typing on a computer, she has to personally make sure that everyone gets the message to remove it and its removed from all screens, departments etc. Then inform you qheb thats been done. Its really time consuming and failure zo do it can land them in shit. So its more preferential that she hang up that qay your name stays on the list and calls will continue until someone else takes on the job of removing your name if thwy can be arsed.

Jaycee5 Tue 14-May-19 16:55:05

My phone is very good about putting 'telesales' on phone calls from such companies and I don't think that one has slipped through their system without a warning. It is worth looking at next time you upgrade your phone.

quizqueen Tue 14-May-19 16:39:44

Sometimes I just leave the phone hanging for along time in silence, other times I say ridiculous things like if they call to say my washing machine cover is up for renewal ( I don't have this)- I tell them I wash my clothes in the stream at the bottom of my garden or if they say they are ringing from my provider- I say I don't have a phone, I just heard this one ringing as I was passing and broke in (any) house and answered.

Ohmother Tue 14-May-19 16:37:37

My friend had the conservatory seller on the phone for ages and had virtually ‘done the deal’ for an actual measure up.

The guy then said “Any questions before we make the appointment?”

My friend asked, “As I live in an apartment on the second floor can you explain how you would attach it?”

The caller slammed the phone down. ?

I would hate to have to do their job.

BlueBelle Tue 14-May-19 16:31:32

I had one tell me to Fxxx xox using the full words

Tedber Tue 14-May-19 15:54:16

All this has got me wondering....just how much work do cold callers generate?

I actually do feel sorry for them (the legit ones I mean) BUT, like others I just can't help winding people up now! (I mean there are only so many calls about PPI and accidents that aren't my fault that one can ignore!)

Surely it is about time for these time wasting (and I mean time wasting on the part of whoever is orchestrating the calls) practices to be halted? I have been known - on occasion - just to keep them talking for the sake of it to see who 'gives' first - it is always the call centre in my experience. Naughty yes, but hey on a dull day it gives me something to do (said tongue in cheek before anyone tells me I need to 'get a life' ha ha ha)

Justanotherwannabe Tue 14-May-19 14:58:52

When I get a cold call I'm always polite, but usually ask why a nice sounding person like them is working for a company like that? If they really annoy me I don't hang up. That way they can't phone anyone else!

Megs36 Tue 14-May-19 14:49:03

Got to add mine...One afternoon after having received a spate of cold calls I answered the phone yet again to a very poor English speaking voice asking to speak urgently to Mr M, I snapped back he's not interested in double glazing , answering a survey and so and on.... The voice then said this is Doctor .".....". From Watford Hospital with his X-ray results......

confused

25Avalon Tue 14-May-19 14:43:38

I was once plagued with cold calls from a double glazing company. It didn't matter how many times I told them to take my name off their list, that I wasn't interested, and that I wouldn't use them if they were the only company in existence and I had to freeze to death, they still persisted. I just kept putting the phone down in the end. Then one day I met someone who had actually worked for this company as a cold caller - for ONE day! They said it was so awful they couldn't do longer than that. They had to make calls to people who didn't want them and keep trying to get them to sign up even though they said no. It is the company's mentality and not the callers. One does feel so sorry for them - they have to be desperate for a job.

Legs55 Tue 14-May-19 14:02:34

I had a cold call on day regarding solar panels, I started to explain as I live in a Park (Mobile) Home I couldn't have them fitted. His response was "we don't deal with gypsies" & slammed the phone down. I was furious at the time but find it funny now however that young man needs educating, a lot of Park Homes cost considerably more than many house & the owners aren't of the Romany persuasion

flaxwoven Tue 14-May-19 14:00:51

We are with TPS. Has no effect as the callers seem to be from Asia and when I ask them which company they are calling from I can't understand what they are saying either. We have caller display so I can tell if it's a number I recognise. We have also had recorded messages, one saying they are from BT. It sounded very plausible but my friend had one and she rang BT and they said it was not them.

nonnasusie Tue 14-May-19 13:34:55

We have them too. I do the same as evianers and answer the phone with hello not pronto. I then say I'm English and my Italian is not good. They usually ring off then!

Nonnie Tue 14-May-19 13:32:27

I'm never rude to them but I have been known to wind them up. A good one is "I'm sorry, I'm really busy right now but give me your home number and I'll call you back". Actually one poor little innocent responded that he was not allowed to give out his home number! I would love to know how they know with telecom provider we use. On one occassion I asked them to hang on while I went to my router and just left the phone. Later that day she called back and was cross with me so I ended up agreeing with her that I was stupid. She was really annoyed. Monosyllabic answers annoy them as well. grin

As others have said, their is no legal protection from those calling from outside the UK, or is it the EU?

kwest Tue 14-May-19 12:28:34

Revenge of the frustrated tele-sales person can go like this.
Save the rude person's number and then the next night or the next week ring them back. When they answer (making sure that you have dialed the correct three number code to make your call untraceable) hang up on them. Repeat this throughout the evening, making sure they have had time to sit down between calls.