Gransnet forums

Chat

AirCon- do we really need it?

(51 Posts)
MawBroonsback Wed 15-May-19 07:27:13

Do you use it as a matter of course/regularly/occasionally in your car?
Somebody on another thread has said how “horrendous” the school run journeys are this week as her AirCon in her car is not working, and this got me thinking.
Yes, it is invaluable for long drives through France going on family summer holidays. Jolly welcome too last summer when we had wall to wall heatwave.
But a) is it environmentally friendly, (given that I certainly have noticed increased petrol consumption when it is on?)
And b) in our “normal” U.K. climate - do we need it and can we justify it?
My last little car but one - a Polo- didn’t have it, so I did that other thing of opening the windows front and back. Not ideal, but I coped and frankly about 80% of the time that was enough.
(Added to which, I personally find my sinuses start playing up and my eyes feel dry when the A/C is on for any length of time).
So if we are looking at fuel economy and effects on the environment, should we not also reconsider whether we are becoming accustomed to something which may be hard to justify?

etheltbags1 Wed 15-May-19 10:04:40

Am i the odd one out. My little fiat has no aircon but my last one a corsa did and i found it was noisy. At present i just turn on the air vents it cools the sweat running down my face otherwise i open the window

Cherrytree59 Wed 15-May-19 10:25:50

Izabella you are sooo right,
I am also a paid up member of the Hot Flash brigade sunshinesmile

M0nica Wed 15-May-19 11:21:41

I have still to rise to the luxury of owning a car with aircon, although DH's has it.

Since I have had my car for 12 years and it seems good for another 12, I probably never will.

NanTheWiser Wed 15-May-19 12:09:28

Mine is on permanently, it's better for the air con health as bacteria and moulds can form if it's not used regularly. It should also be left on in the winter, as it recirculates the warmer air inside the car, preventing condensation forming.

gillybob Wed 15-May-19 12:25:11

I have just had the exact same advice from a friend of my son NanTheWiser who said I have possibly caused the problem myself by not using it often enough and therefore letting the pressure drop (or words to that effect) he also mentioned the moulds and bacteria being allowed to form by not using it . He echoed your words about using it in the winter too. Grrrrrrr

How was I to know?

grannyticktock Wed 15-May-19 12:43:42

Yes, we had a car in which we rarely used the air con and it eventually seized up and wouldn't work. The garage told us this can happen if you don't use it regularly. Then we discovered how efficient it was at de-misting and keeping the windscreen clear in cold, damp weather , so now I use it often, throughout the year, although only for as long as needed. I doubt whether the difference in fuel consumption is significant - my car is already low on emissions and petrol use. As someone said earlier, opening the windows probably affects fuel consumption as much, by making the car less aerodynamic.

It's easy to get hung up on small things like this. Cutting out a few car journeys and taking the bus would do more to save the planet than driving around in a car that's hot and stuffy, or damp and misty, in the hope of saving fuel.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 12:48:34

Would hate to be without aircon in the car.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 12:51:33

My DH thinks you can save fuel by not having it on. Grrr! Will not give in. Saving must be negligible.

Anyway, we have lived most of our lives without any of the minor luxuries available today. Let the young 'uns go without air con.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 12:55:15

I have been known to have the aircon on, and the window open. shock

jura2 Wed 15-May-19 13:05:33

Mine has broken down 3 years ago- had it refilled and it was 'lost' within weeks and expensive to find and repair leak. So no, I don't have one and love the windows opened, lol. In the other car we use for long journeys, we have one, and I am glad of it, for sure.

As a native French speaker - love the title though. And the answer is 'NON' for sure ahaha

Witzend Wed 15-May-19 13:10:21

It surely must depend to some extent on where you live. Here in SW London I certainly wouldn't be without it in summer, especially when stuck in traffic jams on the M25 (a journey I make often to a dd and Gdcs.)

Not to mention summer traffic jams on the A303 near Stonehenge - another regular journey until very recently.

I dare say that if I lived a lot further north, I wouldn't be too bothered about it, unless I was e.g. driving through France in summer.

petunia Wed 15-May-19 13:21:20

I too was against air con in cars feeling that it was being a bit precious. My goodness, surely we Brits can cope with a bit of heat without resorting to something a decadent as air con.
I bought a new car which came with air con as standard. I decided I probably wouldn't use it, it being such a decadent concept
Then the menopause hit me. So, very very quickly, I had that dammed air con on EVERY journey. Does that make me a bad person.

RedRidingHood Wed 15-May-19 15:38:01

If you have hay fever it's a blessed relief.
My best purchase of 2018 by miles was a portable air con unit for my stifling attic bedroom.

MawBroonsback Wed 15-May-19 16:58:04

Your daughter is not wrong Gonegirl

www.airconco.com/news/does-in-car-air-conditioning-consume-fuel-if-so-how-much/

Useful advice

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 17:00:59

Ooh heck Maw! shock

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 17:01:16

Sigh!

kittylester Wed 15-May-19 17:07:19

j52, not just birthdays! I had a Citroen Dyane and the roof was open when it was hot and shut when it was cold. It wouldn't start in first gear either which was a bit panicky sweat making.

Willow500 Wed 15-May-19 17:11:56

Mine is on permanently - if I turn it off the windows steam up in the winter. I don't go out often but mostly when I do I have my cat in her carrier on the passenger seat (with the seatbelt on grin ) with a journey of 75 miles so worry about her overheating. Yesterday the sun was on that side and I had the temperature down as low as I could stand it to keep her comfortable. In my husband's car I usually turn my side off as it's too cold! The roof comes off my car but I can't see for the sun and it's too hot anyway so rarely use that facility hmm

SueDonim Wed 15-May-19 17:21:28

I live in Scotland where the requirement for cooling isn't as pressing as further south but I wouldn't consider buying a car without AC now. Our cars both have auto climate control so they just keep the temperature at whatever level it's been set at.

I find opening windows makes it very noisy and the pressure on my ears is quite painful. I have the opposite of fond memories from my childhood of being cooped up in boiling hot cars, the smell of hot leather and petrol and my mother's perfume all combining to cause me to lose my breakfast or lunch at the side of the road!

J52 friends of ours had one of those Citroens. They travelled all over the UK and Europe. Their solution to the heating issue was for the passenger to sit in a sleeping bag. When the driver could no longer feel his/her feet, they would stop and swap drivers! grin

J52 Wed 15-May-19 17:42:15

Sue in winter it was sheepskin coat, in summer the roof was rolled back! It was fun.

sodapop Wed 15-May-19 18:03:16

Yes, yes and double yes. I really can't tolerate the heat and spend July & August indoors with my fan. I couldn't travel far without air con.
Like Suedonim I find the pressure on my ears painful when the car window is open.

J52 Wed 15-May-19 18:22:01

Kitty just read your post! My first one was blue and my second one was white!

Nandalot Wed 15-May-19 18:45:31

We have climate control and use it all the time. I understood open windows used more fuel. Today, before we went out, DH opened windows to ‘let the heat out’ but once we were driving we had the climate control on because my DH is suffering from hay fever and we have fields of flowering rape all around us at the moment.

jura2 Wed 15-May-19 18:53:21

We have had 2CVs and Diannes in the family since 1950. In UK I had 3, a red one, a blue one and a green one. The last one I had to push down our long drive, pick my time to push it across the main road and jump in, so it would start down the hill. Roof rolled up and grill at the front opened smile

JenniferEccles Thu 16-May-19 12:20:10

Air con isn't just great in hot weather, it's also invaluable in de-misting the windows.

In wet weather (either warm or cool) if I get into the car with a damp coat on, the windows mist up very quickly, but the air con is a god send in clearing them almost instantly.

We had a day out at a NT property in Sussex yesterday, and the car was baking hot when we got back in to come home, so yes the air con was put on pretty smartish!

It went wrong in our previous car and I couldn't wait to get it fixed.