Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you have known?

(70 Posts)
annsixty Fri 17-May-19 07:32:10

The answer I hope is ,never in a month of Sunday's.
This relates to a report today that 3 business men, dining in the Hawksmoor restaurant in Manchester were served a bottle of wine costing £4,500 instead of the £200 bottle they had ordered.
The mistake only came to light when they ordered a second bottle.
The restaurant did not tell them but tweeted about it later.
My main reason for posting is to wonder if this was all on a business account anyway, and is it any wonder prices are so high everywhere
After all, we are all indirectly paying for these expensive meals, either in higher prices for goods and services or through our taxes if these jollies are tax deductable.

silverlining48 Fri 17-May-19 10:42:22

The most costly wine I have had was £90. Can’t say I noticed it was any different to the £5 stuff I usually buy.
I am sure there’s an emperors new clothes thing that goes on with expensive things, whether wine or anything else.

Helennonotion Fri 17-May-19 11:04:34

kittylester Grapevine Merlot by any chance? Thats my favourite Aldi one right now! smile

Margs Fri 17-May-19 11:11:18

Bottle of white California plonk from ASDA @ slightly over a fiver.

That'll do!

silverlining48 Fri 17-May-19 11:12:18

Yes Aldi is my go to wine cellar.

Craftycat Fri 17-May-19 11:16:00

I was glad to hear that the waiter who served them was not sacked or even given much of a dressing down as they said ' mistakes happen'.
If I'm honest would I like to taste that wine?- yes. We have a friend who swerves 'good' wine when we go round - not THAT good mind you but more than we usually pay for ours. It is sometimes REALLY good. Mind you he likes the wine we give him when he comes here too & it is probably half the price of his.

Houndi Fri 17-May-19 11:25:29

On holiday in Hong Kong at a high class restaurant in Victoria .My husband had gone to the bathroom and businesses man came over to me and said we are not drinking tonight we are with our familes would you like this
It was a bottle of champagne it was not untill they had gone that i looked at the label it was a bottle of Dom Perigion champagne.My husband face when he saw it wasa picture especially as i told him i ordered it for our last day i think he was going to faint
Whoever they were they must have dined there regularly because the waiters were so attentive to us all night.I must omit the champagne was a beautiful taste

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 17-May-19 11:37:03

I'm even more of a heathen, leyla - give me a beer any day. How can any wine possibly be worth over £2,000 a bottle? Could many of us tell the difference?
I know what my DH would say if he was still alive - "it all ends up being p!*($d anyway! "

Callistemon Fri 17-May-19 11:50:04

there is such a mark-up on wines in restaurants that neither bottle would have cost that much in fact or be worth that amount - even a £5 bottle of 'plonk' could set you back more than £30.

We were at a 'blind' wine tasting organised by a friend once and he had a very old bottle of Margaux; we had to guess various things including price. We all thought it tasted mousy - we thought it was corked. He was upset, said it was fine and worth a lot of money.
hmm

B9exchange Fri 17-May-19 12:00:00

Really pleased that the restaurant told the employee 'chin up, mistakes happen', what a wonderful supportive place to work!

I just don't get the vast amounts paid for wine, no matter how good it tastes, it is just a drink, it only gives a few seconds of pleasure, and will it make a difference to your life, or how you feel the next day? Not a jot!

Now if I were to to spend £260 on a classic dress (not these days!) it would give me pleasure for 20 years, assuming the weight held stead! grin

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 12:18:30

I'm another one who always reads the label and I'm pretty sure that anyone paying £200 (I read is was £260) would also have read the label. So either they knew and drank it anyway or the whole thing is, imo, just an advertising gimmick.

Lilyflower Fri 17-May-19 12:51:16

I always drink cheap Champagne as I don't want to get used to the good stuff and not be able to afford it. But when my daughter won a bottle of Lauent Perrier vintage Champers and shared it, it was heavenly. Likewise the Bollinger my son bought me for my sixtieth.

If I ever win the lottery (which I do not buy tickets for) I will have the good stuff coming out of my taps.

maryeliza54 Fri 17-May-19 12:53:38

Aaahhhhh Nonnie what an interesting post

annsixty Fri 17-May-19 13:19:26

I wondered myself about publicity.
If the business men come forward all well and good .
If not... a very clever marketing ploy.

Tillybelle Fri 17-May-19 13:45:50

I used to enjoy wine with a meal and could recognise the "usual" ones, from among the red wines of France but we had French friends who were very proud of their wines and taught us about them. I learned it wasn't snobbery but a lot more like farming for a good crop, right soil, age of vine, weather, which side of the hill, no bugs, type of vat etc. As I come from a farming background it appealed to me. We never got drunk in France with our French friends either because we would sit around the table for so long, children too, (well, they would get down and play) and chat and every so often to our incredulity Madame would bring out another course... but as with the wine, we didn't over-eat either.
Those were the days she said yearningly. Ah me, if only I had stayed in France! But that's another thread!

I have been a no alcohol drinker (Salvation Army) for nearly 25 years now. I love it! Every time I think of why I don't drink I praise the Lord!

I never miss alcohol now I don't have it. I love nice water and adore milk. I can even taste different waters (well, sometimes!) and milk varies a lot especially throughout the year. It's also so much cheaper when you don't drink! Who knows? One day I might save £4,500!

EMMF1948 Fri 17-May-19 13:55:31

We have a friend who thinks he knows about everything, we used to buy whisky from a shop where you took your own container, we then decanted it into a recognised whisky bottle and he never knew the difference.
Great place, they sold wine like this, priced per bottle and they weren't too fussy about the size of the bottle! Not in the UK though, naturally.

Tillybelle Fri 17-May-19 13:57:15

Craftycat. You reminded me: About errr, 40 years ago (??) we had friends who owned a well-known chain of wine-stores that he had built up himself. He called round to pick up his daughter one day and my husband was chatting to him about how he selected the wines. The next thing I saw was my husband busying himself with a load of different bottles of his new home-made wine hobby, giving glasses of Parsnip wine, Dandelion wine, Revolting wine, Washing-up water wine, etc to this man who bought wine for his own top brand famous chain of Wine Stores!
He was such a lovely guy he never said anything unkind or even grimaced! What a gent!

JulieMM Fri 17-May-19 13:58:48

How can anyone anywhere ever justifying spending £4,500 for a bottle of wine? If you can afford to put that much money down someone’s throat then let it be medication to improve or save someone’s life. It makes my blood boil it really does sad

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-May-19 14:05:19

We would have known the wine wasn’t what we ordered because the label would have told us. Whenever we order a bottle the waiter shows us the bottle before pouring the first glass out.
Notice I wrote waiter! We don’t often dine in top class restaurants that have a sommelier. I have eaten in Hawksmoor a few times though and I’m sure we went through the usual procedure.
I’d love to have tried a glass of the expensive stuff just to see if I have been missing out all these years. I expect I never will and maybe that’s a good thing. What you’ve never had you never miss.
I agree the price seems, to me, obscene. How much food could you buy for a food bank with £4500?
However it’s all relative, someone with nothing would think a fish and chip supper was a luxury.

Callistemon Fri 17-May-19 15:25:26

We have a friend who thinks he knows about everything
that sounds like our friend with the bottle of terrible Margaux, EMM

willa45 Fri 17-May-19 15:41:15

Not really an expert here, so I recommend use of the scoring system when it comes to wine. Open a bottle of wine that has a score of 90 or more and you really can appreciate the difference in taste.

www.wine-searcher.com/wine-scores

When it comes to cost, like most I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on a bottle of wine either. I also happen to believe that the enormous difference in price can never justify the maximum difference in taste and quality. Normally I look for 'very good' (85 point) wine for no more than $20 a bottle.

Having said that, it's mostly collectors' wine in the hundred to thousand dollar range that wine enthusiasts store lovingly in their cellars; and sadly, without opening or tasting ever.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 15:48:20

Another thought, surely such a restaurant would have a sommelier? Not that I know much about it but when we ate at the Oxo Tower the S opened the wine and tasted it before giving it to us. If that is normal (and how would I know) surely he would have tasted the difference?

Many years ago I was staying with a friend and we went to have lunch with one of her neighbours. We had a lovely bottle of wine and a nice lunch. When her husband came home he was really upset, not because we had drunk a bottle he had put down to mature but because we hadn't appreciated it.

Callistemon Fri 17-May-19 15:49:43

That seems utterly pointless, doesn't it. willa!

Wine is meant to be enjoyed, not as an investment.

My favourite red is only around £7-8 and the white about £10 - sometimes on offer too.

Deedaa Fri 17-May-19 16:00:32

I normally know if I'm drinking a good wine, but I'm not sure if I would know it was £4,500 worth of good!

willa45 Fri 17-May-19 16:06:57

Callistemon

Great pun by the way!

Agree.....inexpensive wines can be surprisingly good too.

To mimic that well worn slogan about great minds......my version of of the same would be "A good wine is a terrible thing to waste"..... wine

gillybob Fri 17-May-19 16:11:00

Have a you red wine lovers tried

Head Honcho merlot ( Morrison’s) 2 for £10 at the minute
19 crimes (Asda) Australian ? Around £7-£8

Both delicious wines ( in my opinion of course) .