Gransnet forums

Chat

Going bonkers - or even bonkers-er

(86 Posts)
Witzend Wed 22-May-19 14:21:24

Spent a few minutes this morning looking everywhere for a pair of jeans which I thought could do with a wash.

I was wearing them!!!
There is no hope...

(We used to have a dog called Bonkers - christened by previous owners. And a very lovely boy he was too.)

MamaCaz Sat 25-May-19 07:33:36

I've just remembered something I did a couple of years ago.

My parents were visiting and I was making my dad a cup of coffee. There was lots of chatting while I was doing it, so it took me quite a while.

When I finally handed Dad the drink, you should have seen his face as he took a sip - it turned out that I had forgotten to boil the kettle and had made the drink with icy-cold water!

MamaCaz Sat 25-May-19 07:27:16

Ah, yes, the abandoned baby. Been there, done that - I left DS1 behind in Woolworths in Worcester when he was a few weeks old!
I still remember that feeling of horror when I realized what I had done.

Eleanor21 Sat 25-May-19 06:54:35

I woke up this morning with a really sore throat, a cup of tea just what I needed. Why then have I just brought a cup with a tea bag and milk in but no hot water back to bed with me?

CanadianGran Fri 24-May-19 23:05:07

Oh Lordy! Thanks all... I guess going to the grocery store and getting everything except what was on the 'mental list' isn't all that bad!

HillyN Fri 24-May-19 22:51:43

I also left my new baby outside the chemist shop, came out of a different door and walked halfway home before I remembered her.
I also made some gravy that turned lumpy so I strained it through a sieve- down the plughole of the sink. I only realised what I'd done when I couldn't work out what I wanted the lumps for!

phoenix Fri 24-May-19 17:48:56

I've actually got into a strangers car outside the village shop, the chap in the driving seat took it very well, all things considered.

Also put my glasses on, so that I had a clearer view to put on my mascara.............blush

They took quite a bit of cleaning!

SirChenjin Fri 24-May-19 17:38:20

I once came out of a toilet in a pub, got a bit disoriented, forgot which way to turn as my sense of direction is rubbish and ended up on stage with the singer. I was mortified, ran off in front of the crowd which included my then boyfriend who were all roaring with laughter, and demanded to my BF through tears of embarrassment that we leave immediately. The singer was an absolute trouper - she looked very puzzled but kept on singing. I still cringe 25 years later.

Notthecatsmother Fri 24-May-19 16:08:02

Once my son was picking me up, I walked past his car and tried to get in a strangers car, much to son's amusement.
I have also gone out with my husbands jeans on and not realised.

Witzend Fri 24-May-19 13:04:26

Mind you it's not just a wrinkly thing.
When my first was only about 10 days old, I left her in her pram in Boots, having completely forgotten that I had her.

Luckily I'd arranged to meet my mother shortly afterwards, whose horrified, 'Where's the baby???' led to my equally horrified charge back to Boots - luckily nobody had nicked her, or even noticed.

Hilmix Thu 23-May-19 23:29:02

In our shower room we have a laundry basket with lid next to the toilet. So many times I've thrown clothes meant for the laundry down the toilet....I've yet to flush them away, though ?
Unfortunately, the laundry basket will only fit properly in this space.

Baloothefitz Thu 23-May-19 23:18:32

Very very funny ,I do wonder how we cope sometimes!

moggie57 Thu 23-May-19 22:58:28

for bus pass or cats claw clippers.or my memory stick .i knew i put it there ,but its NOT there..must be getting old.

Sara65 Thu 23-May-19 22:40:30

I got into the back of my car to comfort crying baby, to realise with horror that the child locks were on
There really can’t have been anything less dignified than me trying to climb over into the front seat!

MamaCaz Thu 23-May-19 22:35:38

Getting ready for work one morning, I gazed into the mirror in disbelief as I saw my hair turning white as I applied hairspray. Then I realized that I was using deodorant!

There was another morning when I grabbed a quick breakfast, put some washing on then rushed off to DS1's house to mind the DGC.
An hour later, DH phoned me to ask why the detergent was in the fridge and wanting to know where I had put the milk.

I've given a one-to-one lesson at my kitchen table then discovered afterwards that I had a clothes peg stuck on my blouse, and numerous other lessons with various items of clothing inside-out.

GrannyLondon Thu 23-May-19 22:13:41

Me too Joy. About 40 years ago,I had been shopping with my young sons &could not get into our car. Desperately trying & getting hot & bothered. Children calling “Mum ! Mum”.
Me “Not now boys”.
Boys. “ Mum, that’s not our car!”
We still have a good laugh about that now .

GeorgyGirl Thu 23-May-19 22:05:50

Thank you for these, I can't stop laughing - what a tonic! I too have done similar things.

Nanny41 Thu 23-May-19 22:02:11

Thank you everyone for these hilarious posts, just read them late evening,I will be laughing all the way to bed,and all night I should think.

JoyBloggs Thu 23-May-19 21:38:44

Sara glad I'm not the only one!

Sara65 Thu 23-May-19 21:20:50

I’ve done that more than once Joy, I think all cars look the same these days, especially black ones!

JoyBloggs Thu 23-May-19 21:15:30

I thought the lock on my car must have broken as I couldn't get the key to turn. Tried taking key out and putting it back in but lock still wouldn't budge. Noticed a trilby hat on the back seat and wondered who on earth had left that there... didn't know anybody with a trilby. Yep, you guessed, I was trying to break into somebody else's car! (That was about 30 years ago... imagine what I'm like now grin)

cas58 Thu 23-May-19 20:49:08

Oh my! I've done a few of these myself but I really cannot stop laughing! Brilliant!

instagran Thu 23-May-19 19:09:13

Just after a nap, I once caught myself trying to make a phone call by pressing the buttons on the tv remote control!

AlisonKF Thu 23-May-19 18:33:27

Thanks for a genuine laugh.I noticed a few teachers stressed to the eyeballs which reders your mind in capable of reasoned thought.
A tip I have taken up recently- got a handbag with a dog clip on a ribbon attached inside on which to attach a door/car keys. I shall do this with every bag instead of arriving home with no way to get in.

BBbevan Thu 23-May-19 18:15:29

My friend told me about a friend of hers who had quite an
Important job. She was very short sighted. She broke her only pair of glasses beyond repair. So she wore her prescription swimming goggles to work for a few days !!!

SalsaQueen Thu 23-May-19 18:07:18

I couldn't find my car keys one afternoon, after leaving work....I searched my bag, pockets, the office, the toilets, kitchen, everywhere. I rang my husband, got him to bring the spare keys (he had a 6 mile drive in rush hour), and I drove home....and found my keys down my bra grin