Gransnet forums

Chat

Agoraphobia

(35 Posts)
Rufus2 Wed 22-May-19 14:46:04

Evening Annie; Here it is! Hope you find it useful! Cheers!

Doodle Fri 24-May-19 14:45:46

DanniRae thank you for your kind comment ?
I think Rufus and others are right annie, please don’t sell Fred. I think you would regret it. There is always hope and if you have your scooter there is always a chance you will get out on it. I would take this Red Cross chap as a sign of something meant to be.

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 13:56:43

Rufas I am ok riding Fred in the area outside my bungalow but nervous about leaving the area and going to the main road, pavements, kerbs etc. Not been out of the Cul de sac for 2 years so nervous of traffic.

I have decided not to drive on grass, will apply to council to
have a small piece of the waste ground next to my bungalow
and put Fred’s garage there.

Rufus2 Fri 24-May-19 13:42:33

He accompanies new scooter users for six weeks
Annie; That's a fantastic service! You'll get the hang of it in one lesson and as you already know, the driving controls couldn't be simpler; finger-tip control on the steering column toggles, rt.side for forward, left for reverse; no brake lever, Fred stops immediately as soon as you take your finger off toggle. wink
I haven't tried grass, but next time! Freda has 4 x 12 inch wheels so shouldn't be a problem, only concrete so far. Two speed ranges; 1) up to 5km/h. 2) up to 15km/h max. 5 is walking pace!, my preference! grin

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 12:30:25

dragonfly hello , such kindness here, x I will not give up

dragonfly46 Fri 24-May-19 12:27:10

Annie you can do this! We are all going to hang around until you do! You are still a strong lady. As someone said the Red Cross turning up was fate. Keep moving forward. We are rooting for you.

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 10:53:31

Rufas there is a gentleman who works with the Red Cross in our town. He accompanies new scooter users for six weeks to give support and confidence , getting use to using pavements in town, entering buildings, crossing roads etc .

Do you ride Freda on grass ? I don’t mean across fields , I want Fred to have a garage in the back garden which means about 25 feet of grass from my back gate to the front path

Rufus2 Fri 24-May-19 09:57:29

Fred is blue , what’s a ‘Red X’
Annie; I was just guessing, but blue is a girl's colour!? Although, my Freda is red because it's a safer colour and whilst I was tempted to go for British Racing Green it's too dark to be seen easily. grin
KatyK got it in one! smile Red Cross are coming to help; what's involved?

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 09:55:17

Thank you Katy , I have always been honest, I am not the brightest coin in the mint ?

KatyK Fri 24-May-19 09:32:30

I think he means Red Cross! grin

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 09:14:07

Rufas Fred is blue , what’s a ‘Red X’ ?

Rufus2 Fri 24-May-19 09:10:54

Decided Monday evening to sell Fred
Annie; don't ever think of doing that to Fred! You'll regret it every time you see someone riding a red(?) scooter, thinking that it's Fred. He's your best bet for getting out and about in comfort and safety; how would you achieve that without him? Not in a wheelchair, that's for sure! sad
Freda has a cheap mobile phone always charged up o/night and a roadside breakdown assist policy, so we feel fully safe and confident where ever we are.! smile
Intrigued by the Red X help. What's involved?

DanniRae Fri 24-May-19 07:39:23

Doodle - so very pleased for you that you have overcome your fears flowers

Squiffy Fri 24-May-19 00:31:53

coincidence? No.

It was meant to be, Annie.

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 20:33:11

Auntieflo yes, onwards and upwards x I was going to advertise Fred for sale on Monday evening on our local
‘For Sale’ site. It was a bit late to apply for permission to post
so left it until Tuesday, the day I heard about The Red Cross,
coincidence? No.

Doodle thank you, I know only I can change me but encouragement certainly helps so much x

Doodle Thu 23-May-19 20:21:16

annie it was really 40 years. I thought I would never get to grips with it and to be honest for about 39 of those years I didn’t even consider trying. It was easier to avoid all situations that might make me panic than to even attempt to combat it. The most difficult part was actually the inability to go into a pubic toilet and shut the door and lock it. I was so terrified of being shut in, which would of course mean that I would suffocate (genuine fear of many claustrophobics). My panic levels were very high. I have written this so that you can know how ever long it takes you can not only overcome your phobia but you can get to a point where it isn’t a battle and fight all the time. Every year my tolerance improves and I would say in most cases now I cope really well. Lifts, tube trains, planes AND going to the loo and locking the door. I can do it all now. I hope and pray that you have the strength with God’s help to try and overcome your phobia and enjoy your garden and the outside world again x

Auntieflo Thu 23-May-19 20:09:20

Oh Annie, that is such good news, re the help from the Red Cross chap. Onwards and upwards ☺️

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 18:36:04

Thank you Danni, wish I had known about the help from the Red Cross last Summer but no matter , I know now , am on a waiting list

DanniRae Thu 23-May-19 17:07:50

That's good news Annie about the Red Cross gentleman. I have a good feeling about it! grin flowers

Fennel Thu 23-May-19 16:59:39

Annie you have to decide in your own mind what you want to achieve. All we can do is support you in what you decide, but we can't change you. The only person you can change is yourself.
Sometimes I just don't want to go out again in this big bad world.

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 15:27:12

Thank you Auntieflo

Decided Monday evening to sell Fred. Tuesday I found out
a gentleman from Red Cross gives six weeks support for scooter users to gain confidence, Fred stays ?

Auntieflo Thu 23-May-19 13:48:13

Annie, baby steps, we are all rooting for you to overcome your phobias. How kind people are, to try and help.
Have you yet managed to get out on the faithful Fred?
Sending hands across the ether, as it were, to give you a lift.
flowers

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 13:43:35

Thank you Squiffy, 3rd year I am missing the Hay Festival , ?

Squiffy Thu 23-May-19 12:37:45

Annie you're such a strong person and have come through so much. You will get the better of this, even if it takes a while. flowers

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 12:27:31

Thank you Mycat, it’s so difficult to go from a person who loved roaming the mountains to a person fearful of an area in the middle of a Cul de sac. Yes it is cruel.

Mycatisahacker Thu 23-May-19 12:21:00

flowers to you Annie it’s a cruel and hideous condition xxx