Gransnet forums

Chat

Birds' bedtime

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 23-May-19 22:14:34

Last night I stood out on the decking and listened to the birds in the wood at the back of us - they were wonderful and very loud indeed!

But.....on the dot of 10 pm they all stopped completely. Strange.

tanith Thu 23-May-19 22:27:52

That is odd, we sometimes have birds singing at 2am why?

mimiro Thu 23-May-19 22:36:06

when theres a full moon they sing all night.
so does the rooster down the road.

rosecarmel Fri 24-May-19 00:07:49

They seem to sing more as a group at dawn and dusk- But there are times when they are much louder than others-

It is soothing ..

BradfordLass72 Fri 24-May-19 03:23:41

There's a blackbird whose family has nested beside my deck for a few generations and they often sing very, very quietly so that only I can hear them.
As we are told birds sing to advertise themselves or territory, I can only imagine that this whispered song is practice.

LightAmber Thu 30-May-19 09:50:25

The birds certainly weren't quiet here at 3:45 am! Such a pretty sound but oh! How I wished they would go back to sleep until a more civilised hour.

Elegran Thu 30-May-19 10:50:46

Maybe at 10 pm the resident fox passed by on his nightly patrol, so they all took cover and kept schtumm.

Squiffy Thu 30-May-19 11:33:54

We used to regularly holiday in the same tiny Portuguese fishing village and you could set your clock by the birds. They would return to the enormous fig tree at 6.00pm every day - the noise was deafening! - and then all of a sudden it would be 'lights out' and total silence. It was as though someone had flicked a switch!

Who decided it was time for silence and how did they know?!