Gransnet forums

Chat

Holidays on my own ? Am i brave enough

(68 Posts)
Jeanlizzie Sat 25-May-19 14:04:47

Hi
I might have posted this in the wrong place I'm new here so please bear with me
My husband decided he had done with foreign holidays, but i don't feel the same i like my time in the sun and since we acquired a dog, DH has the perfect excuse
I went away with my DD and family last year and it was a nightmare and i felt like i was there for childcare
Anyway holiday time is here again, and I'm deciding if I'm brave enough to go on holiday on my own , has anyone else done this and has some advice ?
Im thinking about 14 days in malta

pamdixon Mon 27-May-19 10:19:00

I went on a Solos holiday last summer when I needed a quick get away and was with a nice group of people of mixed ages (50's upwards). I was the granny of the group (!) but everyone was very nice. First time I'd done anything like that. I'd happily go with Solos again , and have since discovered lots of my friends do holidays with them. But there are loads of companies out there that cater for people on their own...hit the internet and see what you can find!

vickymeldrew Mon 27-May-19 10:21:58

Such a lot of good, sensible advice on this thread Jeanlizzie. A special interest trip or a river cruise seems the best way to go. Gransnet at its best.

25Avalon Mon 27-May-19 10:24:46

The dog is NO excuse. There are plenty of lovely dog boarding places in this country where your dog is guaranteed to have a wonderful time whilst you are away. I think your husband need to think a little more about what you would like for a holiday as well as what he likes. Could you not stay in the Uk one year - loads of places will take the dog as well if that's an issue and go abroad the next for you? If not try to find someone to go with - maybe there is someone on their own that you know who would jump at the chance. Otherwise go it alone but it depends on the kind of person you are if you will enjoy this. You could try it and see.

jaylucy Mon 27-May-19 10:32:10

It takes the first time of trying to see if you can do it!
I must admit I haven't travelled overseas on my own yet, but I decided I wanted to visit York, travelled by train and booked myself into a B&B for a few days.
Train journey ok and fairly easy, when I got to York, I went into the Tourist Info office who kindly called the B&B to let them know I had arrived. B&B owner told me the best route to get there and very kindly allowed me to book in outside the usual times. All in all, had a great time and would love to go back.
I have been to several concerts on my own too and every time have been lucky to have met nice friendly people from a group of 20 somethings that insisted on walking me back to my hotel as well as a couple that were staying at the same hotel that arranged to meet up with me after the concert so we could walk back to the hotel together. People can be so kind! Have a go, it will be worth it!

Jishere Mon 27-May-19 10:55:07

Not sure what you are in to but I had a lovely yoga holiday a few years back. It has been one of the best experiences I have had and the healthy food delicious.

There is another one that I will treat myself to go on which is healthy holidays. I agree just do it.

JanaNana Mon 27-May-19 10:55:20

You certainly wouldn't struggle language wise as English is spoken and a big expat community lives there. It is really easy to get around on the local buses and lots to see. June is the month we used to go and it is extremely hot then. Very friendly place to go. It's worth going on a couple of pre booked trips to places like the Blue Lagoon on Comino isle and Gozo. Otherwise you can easily take yourself off on a local bus to various other attractions. There are plenty of little bistro type places and local cafes everywhere, depending on whether you choose to eat out mostly or in the hotel, it's one of my favourite places and hope if you do decide to go there you will equally enjoy it.

Bijou Mon 27-May-19 10:58:26

After I was widowed I went on at least three holidays a year both home and abroad. Everyone was very friendly and I never had to sit alone. Some were with Saga, Malta, Italy, Spain. Others with a local coach company. Czech Republic, etc. I flew out alone each year to visit relatives in California and Barbados. I only gave up at age 84 when arthritis in knees made it difficult.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 27-May-19 11:11:00

Hi, I regularly travel alone and each time I have felt a bit nervous and each time I have had an amazing time. Just You are brilliant although choose carefully if you want a chilled rest as can pack a lot in. I've also travelled with Leger who are good. Last year I booked with a local coach company on a holiday not specifically for solo travellers. About a quarter of group were single and we had a lovely time. I've never travelled completely on my own,i have a friend who does who went away for 3 weeks but by third week was feeling a bit lonely. I'm more introvert than extrovert but have always met some lovely people! Do some research and read some reviews and have a wonderful time!

eilys Mon 27-May-19 11:12:03

have travelled world wide on my own, no problem some times meals a little awkward, have been to Malta several times a lot of people on their own, so always some one to talk to, airports area nuisance hanging around, you will be fine,go and enjoy

trisher Mon 27-May-19 11:13:52

I've done lots of holidays alone. Some good advice on this thread about what you really want. I'm fairly independent and book my own travel, but I can see that for some having a group would be easier and more sociable. Whatever you decide I would say get yourself a good guidebook and look at what you want to see, then you will be able to join in the trips you like, or if there is something not being covered go off exploring on your own for a bit.

Jnorma Mon 27-May-19 11:27:24

I went to China with Just You and met 4 lovely ladies. It took me weeks to pluck up the courage to book a singles holiday but I'm so glad I did. On the trip were other people whose partners no longer wish to travel as well as those that were divorced, widowed or were just single.
Now I meet up with the ladies I met on that holiday a couple of times a year and we have all gone on other holidays together too and had great fun.

BHol Mon 27-May-19 11:37:59

I definitely recommend The Mistral in Crete. I’m going there for the 3rd time this year. Also recommend Friendship Travel. Slightly smaller groups, where you can please yourself in the daytime but join together (with a resident host) for meals.

henetha Mon 27-May-19 11:45:46

I've done lots of travelling alone, holidays etc, and it's amazing how kind people are when you're alone.
You'll soon make friends, so go for it. Life is an adventure.

GreenGran78 Mon 27-May-19 12:03:51

Go for it, Jeanlizzie. I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself. Plucking up courage is the hardest part!
Some of the holidays mentioned sound very expensive! For those who. like me. have to watch the pennies Shearings is very good. Anything from 3-day breaks to holidays abroad. They are advertising a 5-day 'mystery break' for less than £150, for example. Their holidays are very good value, and I have never been disappointed with the hotels and food. There are usually some people on their own, and the couples are always friendly. A couple of sightseeing trips and some evening entertainment in the hotel is usually included.
It's a good way to ease yourself into solo travelling without the hassle of coping with all the arrangements.

Newatthis Mon 27-May-19 12:07:17

14 days would be a little too long for me. Try a week with maybe an all inclusive so you don't have to sit in restaurants on your own - although good opportunity to make new friends.

Jeanlizzie Mon 27-May-19 12:25:35

Thanks for all your lovely replies and sorry i havent been back and checked before.
Your answers are really encouraging and have made me feel much braver about it all and am thinking of having a look at guided holidays but might start with a few days in the UK first
And petra yes I've been to malta a couple of times and love it ,
And to the lady who suggested Dubai that sounds very adventurous !!!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 12:28:50

jean go for it!

Two weeks isn’t for ever. If you don’t like it, well you’ll soon be home, but if you like it then a whole new world is open to you. You’ve nothing to lose

Caro57 Mon 27-May-19 13:51:55

Yes, you’re brave enough, it’s liberating! Haven’t travelled much on my own before but am currently sitting in the departure lounge of Perth WA airport waiting for flight home!

Charlie888 Mon 27-May-19 14:01:38

Yes you can do this. I would go for somewhere with a mixed age group. It depends what you like doing. I would find Malta too quiet as I like to walk early eves mooch around the shops etc. I think 14 days is too long for a first solo holiday.

crazyH Mon 27-May-19 14:06:47

I am divorced. For the past couple of years, I've been going on holiday with a couple of single friends, my age, and had some great times. This year the two of them are going with their own children . I could go with my daughter and her family I suppose, but I have been with them once or twice before, and as someone earlier said, it doesn't work. My daughter and kids just sit by the pool, whereas I like to do some sight seeing.
So no more holidays for me ?- my sons never ask me to join them haha

Bijou Mon 27-May-19 14:35:37

CrazyH. Don’t say no more holidays for you. Buck up courage and try a short coach holiday where they do sight seeing. You will not be alone but make new friends.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-May-19 15:22:39

Have you a friend who you could consider going on holiday with?

I've a feeling lots of women are in the same boat.

DoraMarr Mon 27-May-19 15:22:55

I went on holiday alone the summer after my marriage ended. I went on my first package tour to Lake Garda. I nearly chickened out when I got to Gatwick at 11a.m. and saw people who were getting my plane drinking lager and quite merry. However, I had chosen a quiet resort, so all the lager drinkers (who were actually decent folk just having a good time, and a self- reprimand for me for being snobbish) got off the coach at more lively places. I reasoned that it was only a five day holiday, so if it was awful it wouldn’t be for long. In the event it was thoroughly enjoyable. Since then I have been on a few holidays on my own, by train, independently booked. I would counsel against a long holiday at first, and I think your idea of a short break in the UK is a good one.

Miep1 Mon 27-May-19 16:01:04

Go fo it!

NannyC1 Mon 27-May-19 16:01:22

I travel by myself all the time. I love it. Someone said about One Traveller they are really good but a bit on the expensive side. Why not try a couple of nights away first rather than a fortnight. This last couple of years I have gone away with DD and family BUT they understand that at least one day is all for me, and no thank you I don't want company ? Baby steps x