Gransnet forums

Chat

Queuing

(19 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 28-May-19 09:37:27

There is a Take That concert being held in the local football stadium tonight. People have been camping out since Sunday night (weather has been wet and windy). They all have tickets but in the standing area and want to get the best places. They are apparently in leaking tents and wearing bin bags to try to keep dry. Now whilst I say good luck to them this is something I have never done (and never would - I like my creature comforts too much!) Have any GNs camped out to see a band, was it worth it and would you do it now?

KatyK Tue 28-May-19 09:57:34

No. I wouldn't dream of it but when I was 15 I wanted to camp out overnight to get Beatles tickets. My parents wouldn't let me. I did get tickets the next morning but not great ones. Mind you, at the age of nearly 70, having been to see Michael Bublé this week, he was so good I could be tempted to queue next time grin

kittylester Tue 28-May-19 10:04:56

I haven't camped but queued from 2am to get tickets for a Mersey Beat Tour. That was in the days when the world was still in black and white!

Eglantine21 Tue 28-May-19 10:15:14

I queued for five hours to see Princess Diana’s wedding dress.

I didn’t mean to but the queue cunnngly went round and round the corners of buildings so you couldn’t see how long it was.

When I finally got to see it all I could think was “Wow, it’s ENORMOUS!”

quizqueen Tue 28-May-19 10:15:55

My daughter camped out in Southampton overnight for the Saturday concert-the fifth time she's seen Take That this tour. She must have seen and met them over 30 times since she was 14, now 37. I queued overnight to see Wings in the 1970s; it's in the blood, she says!

DoraMarr Tue 28-May-19 12:54:15

I first saw the Beatles shortly after their first hit, “Love me do.” I went to the box office after school with a friend a few days after booking opened, and got four tickets. They were on a bill with, I think, Mary Wells, and also a couple who had a roller skating act, and the compère was Norman Vaughan- it was more a variety show than a pop concert. I wasn’t allowed to camp out for their concert the following year, but I did get up very early to catch the first bus into town, and arrived to find a very long queue- by this time they were famous. We were supposed to be buying tickets for lots of friends, but by the time we got to the front of the queue we were only allowed two tickets each. After the show the Beatles were smuggled out of the theatre in a Black Maria and taken to the police station where my dad worked. He didn’t meet them, but my next door neighbour, also a policeman, did, and had his picture in the paper with them, wearing police helmets. He dined out on the experience for years.
I hope I never ever have to sleep in a tent again. Even when my son played at a festival I found a hotel nearby.

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 13:14:51

No.
Saw Queen twice but stayed in hotel and paid someone with a free ticket to keep my place.

Charleygirl5 Tue 28-May-19 13:18:27

No I never have and never would but I do envy you Gabriella seeing Queen twice.

Nonnie Tue 28-May-19 13:59:59

No but I have listened to DH going on and on ad nauseum about setting the alarm to get up at stupid o'clock and get every device in our home on the right website in order to be early enough to get tickets for various things.

Also have sons who have literally travelled thousands of miles back and forth in order to watch artists they love.

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 15:20:36

Charleygirl5
Yes, they were the days.
My local hairdresser (at the time) was a fan too but fell on hard times...lost job and asked if I wanted to buy his leather flying jacket which had/has the cover of a Queen album embroidered in full colour over the back. Eagle, lions rampant, crown etc plus band name underneath.
We agreed on £45 but I said he could buy it back when his finances bucked up.
I never heard from or saw him again.
I still have it but obvs it would look faintly ridiculous on me now.
Did think about selling on eBay several years ago but never got round to it.
My favourite band was and still is, Dire Straits.

Charleygirl5 Tue 28-May-19 15:27:22

Gabriella we, I think have similar musical tastes. I frequently ask Alexa to play me something by Queen.

I went a few weeks ago to a tribute concert and it was fabulous- I could have listened to the man all night. Nearly everybody in the audience was a certain age and everybody thoroughly enjoyed the music. The only thing I did not like was that he referred to all of the ladies as bitches and that is something Freddie Mercury would never have done.

I think if you attempted to sell the jacket you may well make some money.

BlueBelle Tue 28-May-19 15:52:51

I ve used to go to WOMAD and more recently LATITUDE music festivals and for years the weather was brilliant every year then one year it just bucketed down on and off all weekend we had the best of fun with black bin bags we made them quite fashionable we had turbans of them on our heads a black bin bag dress and tied one smaller one on each foot My tent did not live up to its waterproof label and one morning I woke up laying in a puddle but we had so much fun we laughed all weekend
Going back further living in a seaside town that’s where all the Liverpool 60 s groups Learnt their trade so I had a great teenage years seeing Rolling Stones, Gerry and the pacemakers, Freddie , searchers . Hermans hermits
Little Richard Thin Lizzie Marian Faithful and so many more a bit later Status Quo, Brook Benton, the Sweet
Such good music experiences we didn’t have to queue over night in those days

ninathenana Tue 28-May-19 16:25:30

I saw Queen at Kebworth

Our coach queued for 2 hrs to get out of the car park. Does that count grin

KatyK Tue 28-May-19 16:28:58

I've saw so many of them back in the day. Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Tom Jones, Animals many more but only ever queued for the Beatles.

Anja Tue 28-May-19 16:35:52

And all those plastic bags and throw away tents will be left behind after the event ?

nanaK54 Tue 28-May-19 16:40:47

ninathenana I also saw Queen at Knebworth what a brilliant day!
Have never 'camped out' but I have queued for Wimbledon tickets that was at least a million years ago smile

callgirl1 Tue 28-May-19 17:07:50

No, have never camped out or queued for hours, but round about 1970 or `71, hubby`s brass band were playing an outdoor concert in Morecambe, and we went along on the band`s bus, me and the 4 kids (at the time). Halfway through it started to pour with rain, we valiantly stuck it out, but strangely we found the rest of the audience had disappeared, leaving just us and the wife and kids of another bandsman sitting there. One of the tunes they played was "Raindrops keep falling on my head", already in the programme, not spur of the moment!

ninathenana Tue 28-May-19 17:32:35

nanaK a day I will never forget

chloe1984 Tue 28-May-19 19:22:08

In 1964 queued overnight outside East Ham Granada to see the stones. Fabulous , fabulous, fabulous concert spent all my money and had to walk home instead of getting on the bus! If I did it again now at least I have a bus pass .