Gransnet forums

Chat

My hidden skill!!!

(116 Posts)
kittylester Wed 29-May-19 16:42:54

Although I love them, I never ever cook kippers at home due to the smell and DH's attitude to the smell grin

When we are staying in a(n) hotel, as we are currently, I always take the opportunity to indulge.

I was most surprised this morning when the woman on the next table came over and congratulated me on the really good job I had made of de-boning this morning's kipper.

I knew there must be something I would be good at.

Do you have a hidden skill.

MamaCaz Sun 02-Jun-19 13:06:33

I have the ability to know what is going on in another room.
Only a couple of years ago, my adult sons, now in their thirties, said that they still didn't know how I always knew when they were up to mischief of some sort when they were children. Apparently, almost as soon as they thought up some 'naughty' plan, I would be heard shouting from wherever I was that they could stop that right away.

It's only very recently that eldest son has acquired this skill himself - his children have reached the age where he too now recognises whispering or silence as a sure sign that they are up to something grin

jura2 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:47:18

Callistemon- DD2 asked me if <I could still touch my toes- so I bent down and put my hands flat on the floor in front of my feet, and she was amazed. Apparently people my age can't normally do this?!? Surprised.

Slowcookervegan Sun 02-Jun-19 12:44:06

Today's skill is wearing my food. Manage to spill everything smile

blondenana Sun 02-Jun-19 10:56:36

Dazed i have a drawer like that in my kitchen, , whatever anyone needs ,i always seem to be able to find it in that drawer

DazedAndConfusedByLife Sat 01-Jun-19 23:12:39

I've usually got anything someone needs in my bag. Hankies, wet wipes, mirror, pen, plasters, scissors, corkscrew (no idea why it's there but it was handy!) needle and cotton.

I've taken the spare pair of toddler knickers out as DD is now 23 and I think well able to look after herself in that department.

I don't think my handbag would get through airport security but, hey. smile

Scentia Sat 01-Jun-19 21:46:20

I can pack a suitcase or bag with so much stuff and I am called upon to use my skill many many times.

Grannynise Sat 01-Jun-19 21:31:15

I can wiggle one side of my nose without moving the other side. Haven't found a use for this skill.......yet.

Callistemon Sat 01-Jun-19 21:24:52

I can still touch my toes
I can turn my elbows 'inside out' (not really a skill!)

Never found a four leaved clover although my friend always seemed to find them

DoraMarr Sat 01-Jun-19 20:41:19

I’m not telling. I share it with, reputedly, Cleopatra and Wallis Simpson.

JaneJANE60 Sat 01-Jun-19 20:33:02

Mine is so hidden I have never been able to find it ! confused

ditzyme Fri 31-May-19 10:10:06

I can communicate without speaking, just by thoughts, with my husband, and he with me. But maybe that's common and not a real skill, like de-boning a kipper!

BradfordLass72 Fri 31-May-19 10:04:30

I'm loving this thread, it's made me smile a lot.

Does anyone remember how Eric Morecambe used to throw an imaginary thing up in the air and catch it in a paper bag?

Go to 2.02 on this video clip.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX93cC5hbTY

I can do that.

B9exchange Fri 31-May-19 08:49:44

I can sort out misbehaving laptops, phones and printers, but my grandchildren will no doubt soon overtake me.

I seem to just think about someone and they ring me which is weird!

gillybob Fri 31-May-19 00:04:38

Oh forgot to mention I can bend both my thumbs back on themselves to touch my palms. It’s a trick I was proud of in junior school.

Houndi Thu 30-May-19 23:15:23

When i was growing up my mum used to call me radar ears and i have still not lost the knack

Houndi Thu 30-May-19 23:13:40

I can here every one conversation when we are in a room or restaurant but still keep on track with what my husband is saying and answer him as well as listening to another 20 seprate conversation

CanadianGran Thu 30-May-19 23:02:56

Party trick... if you bend one corner of a piece of paper, I can pick it up off the floor with my mouth.

Also bend my arm around my head and touch the ear on the same side. I actually just tested this and can't quite do it... must practice more and limber up!

Also make a very popular apple crumble.

loving this topic! I'm so impressed with everyone!

NotSpaghetti Thu 30-May-19 22:55:27

I'm your go-to person in an emergency or crisis... can I count that as a skill???

00mam00 Thu 30-May-19 22:22:19

I can also put a long piece of grass between my thumbs and make it whistle, GCs cant.

I can flare my nostrils.

agnurse Thu 30-May-19 22:08:59

I seem to have a special skill for identifying very nice, sappy cats.

Most of the cats I have selected have turned out to be sappy things that love spending time with people.

Our mechanic has a very nice, floofy cat (long-haired male). The cat loves attention and quickly learned that I am a sucker for a sappy cat. Now, every time we go to see our mechanic, Smokey (the cat) has to come and see me and ask if I will pick him up.

Jessity Thu 30-May-19 21:39:04

Hooray for such a feel good thread!

I can do the top digit of my fingers like Bradfordlass, raise just one eyebrow, touch my toes with hands flat on the floor and make a Yorkshire puddings (I’m a Yorkshire lass so it’s an essential).

Thank you kittylester for helping us all to feel so talented wink

NotAGran55 Thu 30-May-19 21:28:42

I can pat my head and circle on my tummy at the same time , in addition to wiggling my eyes and moving my hair back wards and forwards - not all at the same time I must add .

Marmight Thu 30-May-19 21:17:22

I can touch my toes too; I just can't get back up again.... grin

GeorgyGirl Thu 30-May-19 21:07:11

I always seem to be the only one in my family to be able to relax my eyes enough to 'see' 3D pictures!

grannylyn65 Thu 30-May-19 20:51:17

I write very good comic verse