Gransnet forums

Chat

Translation of terms please

(19 Posts)
agnurse Fri 28-Jun-19 22:33:40

OP is original poster - the person who originally started the thread.

Other examples - MIL (mother-in-law), FIL (father-in-law), DIL (daughter-in-law), LTR (long-term relationship), GF (girlfriend/grandfather), BF (boyfriend). SIL can also mean son-in-law, depending on the situation.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Jun-19 18:40:41

D.D can be 'Dear' Daughter instead of 'Darling'?!!

toscalily Tue 25-Jun-19 10:27:03

I personally prefer words to abbreviations and would not be calling or referring to people as dear this or that in real life, they would think I had completely lost the plot (LTP grin) if I did.

MawBroonsback Tue 25-Jun-19 10:13:26

These are not compulsory so why not ignore them?
If others choose to use them, grit your teeth and read on if you feel it is worth it.
If not.....well grin

Yorksherlass Tue 25-Jun-19 10:00:50

I sometimes see OP and wonder is it old pest ? ?

Franbern Tue 25-Jun-19 09:53:52

Like Bluebelle and others I really do not like the 'Darling' bit that seems to be so necessary for posts. I will never use these acronyms due to this.
If I am referring to a daughter, I can type daughter - and it is even easier for son!!!
Even understanding these still a bit confusing when a poster write SiL - which I assumed from content meant Son-in-Law, but actually meant Sister-in-law, which gave a totally different slant to the post.
What is wrong in typing these in full?

Doodle Fri 31-May-19 20:02:40

I think you mean ECPTR kitty ?

kittylester Fri 31-May-19 19:35:55

Everyone can please themselves really.

Namsnanny Fri 31-May-19 19:26:30

I agree with sodapop, BlueBelle and Anniebach, its a bit ott!
I call my loved ones all kinds of endearments to their faces, as they are dear to me, but seems a waste of time to add a letter to an acronym which, is all about reducing words to the bare minimum of initials!

Slowcookervegan Fri 31-May-19 13:30:00

Didn't know about the list. It puts me off reading some posts of they are full of initials.

Anniebach Fri 31-May-19 13:13:12

I agree Blubell. And the use of initials for people is so often used now too

sodapop Fri 31-May-19 12:31:22

Totally agree BlueBelle as we have said on several occasions before.

BlueBelle Fri 31-May-19 12:25:49

Or be like me and use the actual word it’s so much easier on the eye and takes a fraction of a second longer and this darling business gets up my nose Moan over ?

Blinko Fri 31-May-19 12:24:02

Can't understand why folks don't read the Acronyms list at the top of this page. Maybe it should be called something else like 'Abbreviations'.

MarieLL59 Fri 31-May-19 11:47:02

Oh great! ?Thanks, I didn’t realise a list existed. I must admit on occasions if I used DD to describe my daughter she’ll think i’m being sarcastic ?

gmelon Fri 31-May-19 11:24:12

There is an index in gransnet. Or just Google it. Gransnet acronyms.

libra10 Fri 31-May-19 11:24:10

DH stands for darling husband
OH - other half
DD - darling daughter
DS - darling son
DGC - darling grandchildren

Can't think of any others.

HTH (hope that helps)

Grannybags Fri 31-May-19 11:23:07

Hi Marie.

At the top of the page it says Active/I'm on/ etc. The last one is Acronyms. Click on there and you have the list!

MarieLL59 Fri 31-May-19 11:20:32

I quite enjoy reading a lot of the posts on both mums and gransnet but would someone please explain the terms that people use for example DH, or OH, DD etc. Some of them I get - like SIL ( Sister in law?) but the rest? I really try to work it out, I go back through the post and make stupid guesses, but it’s like reading the script for ‘Line of Duty’ ? ( I didn’t get that either). I apologise if I sound stupid but maybe a little ‘index’ somewhere on here would help newbies like me ? ?