Gransnet forums

Chat

running out of steam

(33 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 31-May-19 18:33:17

Some days i can keep plodding on until the evening but others, like today, all i want to do is sit as i feel worn out and my back is hurting too. MY garden is calling on this lovely summery evening but i am just to tired to get out there and get going.I have managed to water the baskets and my toms and beans but that is it i am bushed. Even had 'words' with other half as he was irratating me so much whereas ususally i just bite my lip!!!

moggie57 Tue 04-Jun-19 21:20:39

i get days like that .that i just want to sit and read my book. and why shouldnt we. there is no i have to. there is always tomorrow .and i think you done enough today. take it easy and relax.

sarahanew Mon 03-Jun-19 09:51:03

Is there a medical reason as to why you sometimes get so tired? Get some blood tests done. I was tired all the time, all I had energy to do was my job and nothing at home. I had blood tests in Feb and was diagnosed prediabetic, I changed my diet and exercises more and my energies returned in just a few weeks, I felt really alive again. Three months later I had reversed the condition through diet and exercise. I'm on top of the world. So go to the docs, see if there's an underlying reason

travelsafar Mon 03-Jun-19 07:13:23

Thanks for all the lovely helpful comments. I think it is something do with having a very full calendar every week with groups, outings, friends and family visits etc plus as MawBB says the lighter mornings i am very often awake around 5am and although i dont get up straight away i doze till bout 6 then start my day. If i have a whole day at home i feel lucky but it is invariably spent catching up on things in the home and garden that i haven't done due to being out!!!! I guess the day i put up this post i was just extremely bushed.and felt overwhelmed by all the things that needed attention.In my head i can do much more than my body will allow.Its all about managing expectations i suppose. Anyway thanks all.smile

Aepgirl Sun 02-Jun-19 19:43:28

Do as much or as little as you wish. You can always catch up another day.

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 19:39:35

I am sorry you feel like this travelsafar - are you sleeping OK?
These light sunny mornings may be depriving you of a couple of hours’ sleep at a time. Another possibility if you regularly feel totally washed out, might be anaemia. I used to swear by Riboflavin, an iron supplement.
As we get older we do need to pace ourselves. And perhaps you are doing too much.
A day in London (which seems to be at least once a week) can leave me knackered but I do try to do as much as I can - art history and literature classes, Book Group, helping at the Food Bank, TAS (used to be NADFAS) , theatre and cinema for streamed opera and ballet (which works out much cheaper than West End prices+ the fare.)
All of these are tiring but also stimulating and energising.
But I also wonder if you are generally “down”?
Maybe a nice meal out, a trip to a NT house or gardens might perk you up?
Whatever it is, do not beat yourself up about it.
Smell the roses, enjoy sitting on your garden and instead of weeding, think of the borders as a wild flower conservation area! smile

Thirdinline Sun 02-Jun-19 18:27:57

I think the humidity doesn’t help, but if you don’t pick up in or day or two, it might be an idea to visit the doctor. You might be anemic or pre-diabetic. I find taking a multivitamin, particularly one high in vitamin D, helps me when I’m going through a phase like the one you’re describing.

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 16:30:06

travelsafar. Bless you my love. I'm sure we all know how you feel. I get so little done now in a day that I don't even have visitors sometimes!
Sorry to reply late but just found this post. I was very moved by your words. I believe that at our age we should not be nagging ourselves to get all he jobs done. You deserve to take a break. Some days you need to have a rest. You have earned it!

Greciangirl Sun 02-Jun-19 14:36:50

Bin the hanging baskets, that what I say.

Very hot here today.
Just put up Swingball, but too hot to play for long.

Wait until cooler weather for gardening.

sharon103 Sun 02-Jun-19 14:22:29

Knackered today. I was on the garden from 4pm until dark yesterday. 6 hours in all apart from chatting to the neighbours and two drink and fag breaks. Had older brother in hospital last week with sepsis and up the hospital every day. The housework didn't get done. It will have to wait.I've got a pile of ironing to do this afternoon then off to feed my daughters two cats as she has gone to Spain early this morning.
It's been very warm here this weekend and that can be very draining. Travelsafar do what you can when you feel you can. There's always another day. It will wait. Like you, I can't do what I used to do ( coming up to 65) Like my my mum used to say " eek it out like the boy did his manners" lol I'm hoping for some rain to water the garden. I won't be getting the hose out today!

Merryweather Sun 02-Jun-19 13:57:59

My body hasn't said start yet today- I don't think it will now as it's almost 2 pm and I'm still in bed. I have a couple of debilitating conditions and have had since my early 30's. It's a ’no’’, stop and sleep day today. As horrible as it is I have no choice but to accept it.
Take regular breaks during the day, drink lots of water, eat fresh but most of all listen to your body. When it says stop do just that, even if you have 40 winks or read for the rest of the day. Yes, there are things that need your attention but if you rest now you'll eventually get to them. However, if you don't rest you may never get around to them.
Good luck, I hope you feel more energised soon or find ways to help yourself. Xx

Jayelld Sun 02-Jun-19 13:50:46

Yesterday I was up at 8.30, did light housework and had breakfast, dozed off about 10.30, again at 1.30 then again at 6pm. Just one of those days. Today I've been active since 8am and about to finally relax.
No rhyme or reason, just life, (I turned 65 on Friday!).

Rosina Sun 02-Jun-19 13:22:22

Listen to your body. It's much the better way - have a short rest, cup of tea, perhaps a biscuit, watch a short programme or read the paper and you will likely feel revived enough to get on with whatever you want to do. I find if I press on regardlessly , trying to ignore the increasing weariness, then I am absolutely flattened and need a night's sleep to fully recover.

Hazeld Sun 02-Jun-19 13:18:32

Travelsafar, we all have days like this. It's all just too much effort and we do as little as we can. As they say it will still be there tomorrow and who knows tomorrow might find you full of beans and raring to go. So just take it easy, do what you can then make yourself (if you have to) a nice cuppa and sit and relax,read a book or just chill.

Pippa22 Sun 02-Jun-19 13:15:42

Gardening is such good exercise, beats going to a gym. Think of all the poor souls who don’t have a garden or any outside space to fret about !

Nanny41 Sun 02-Jun-19 13:07:47

The other day I "treated "myself to a relaxing few minutes on the patio, I spend so much time getting the garden ship shape I never seem to have time to relax and enjoy the garden.Some good advice here, take a cup of tea and relax more often,I am off to the patio.

Liz46 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:38:27

LuckyFour, we grow our own veg because they taste better when they are so fresh. I love going and picking dwarf french beans for instance and using them immediately.

A good way of keeping your grandchildren occupied is to plant peas in a big pot and when they are ready give the pot to the children. They enjoy picking them, podding them and eating them raw.

nipsmum Sun 02-Jun-19 12:30:17

Just have a rest. If it's anything like Scotland it will rain soon. Be good to yourself. If you don't who will??? Maybe as already suggested get you other half to make you a cup of tea, or a wee glass of what you fancy.

Beammeupscottie Sun 02-Jun-19 12:00:58

Lets face it. the Summer is exhausting. I am held hostage by the hanging baskets; constantly tiding garden area etc. etc..
Even having to do up your legs and feet is a faff.
Roll on Winter!

ReadyMeals Sun 02-Jun-19 11:58:19

My garden is paving, gravel, and well-established shrubs. I have a garden to enjoy, not become its slave.

LuckyFour Sun 02-Jun-19 11:43:48

Why do so many older people feel they have to grow their own vegetables? I don't bother, why give myself extra work when I can buy the veg we need quite cheaply anywhere. I look after my hanging baskets and keep my largish garden neat but I like to enjoy sitting in the sun and reading a book.

My friend is always exhausted because she spends most of her time tending her vegetable garden and then complains she hasn't the time or energy to cut the grass or plant flowers and the garden looks a mess. She gives me a lot of the left over leaks, rhubarb, beans etc.

Nonnie Sun 02-Jun-19 11:40:27

Occasionally it is just a question of getting started and then you feel you can do a bit more but other times it is best to just do what you have to and leave other things for another day.

mimismo Sun 02-Jun-19 10:48:28

Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately?

EllanVannin Sat 01-Jun-19 19:22:58

I can't now do half of what I used to do and at times it frustrates me but unfortunately the horrible fatigue that I have is partly due to the condition I have and also the medication which I take for it. Try as I might, I can't force myself to do that which I can't.
I had visions of being as lively as a cricket like I'd always been but sadly it all came to a halt. I was burnt-out, literally, and had over-taxed my body.
There are poor souls like this who have no choice but to carry on working ! I can't/shouldn't complain.

Ginny42 Sat 01-Jun-19 18:06:44

When I feel washed out (I can tell by my complexion.) I take a teaspoonful of an iron tonic - possibly once a month. If it lasted any length of time I'd see the doc.

Listen to your body, but if you feel drained over a period of time best to get checked out. You can't live life to the full feeling drained. Take care of yourself.

Desdemona Sat 01-Jun-19 18:04:40

Rest. Don't force yourself to do things. Tomorrow is another day.