Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry’s dilemma

(146 Posts)
DoraMarr Sat 01-Jun-19 09:31:42

Now, I can take or leave the royal family, but I can see that it might be difficult for Harry to have tea with Donald Trump next week, given that he called Meghan “nasty” in an interview with the Sun. Does he go and accord Trump some degree of politeness commensurate with his position as President of The US, can he shake his hand and engage in small talk like he would with any other visiting head of state, or does he treat him to a frosty silence, or turn his back on him, or not go at all and risk a diplomatic incident?

Beammeupscottie Sun 02-Jun-19 11:31:44

I think the remark about not trusting MSM is very valid. That interview given to the Sun(?) was full of questions to Trump designed to inflame.
When asked if BJ would make a good PM, he agreed. If the reporter had suggested Farage/Corbyn/The Downing Street Cat , it would have drawn the same answer as Trump is not a deep or considered thinker! The Sun does not do in depth reporting; it likes a "pop" angle.

ayokunmi1 Sun 02-Jun-19 11:37:18

If everyone took that thought who would monitor and watch his moves
Meg also said some some unpleasnt things about him
Harry should do what he pleases cant be fussed about them but I do know that Trump if we like it or not is a powerful figure
Diplomacy between both countries is needed

Callistemon Sun 02-Jun-19 11:41:42

nanaval I understood that Meghan's opinion of Trump was formed long before he became president and had more to do with his attitude towards women than anything else. As she was always an advocate of women's rights they were never bound to agree!

Sheilasue Sun 02-Jun-19 11:50:29

These are the times when I feel very sorry for the queen and the royal family, he’s such an awful so and so Trump.
I bet they smile and grit their teeth.
I remember a a while ago when the Chinese visited the UK
The queen said how rude they were I actually heard her say it on a television programme.

Callistemon Sun 02-Jun-19 11:54:02

HM is always so professional, despite what she may think privately.

ReadyMeals Sun 02-Jun-19 11:56:21

Showing respect to Trump is actually showing respect to the American people by proxy. Ignore the man, fete the office and the fact he was the person chosen by our American cousins to represent them.

whywhywhy Sun 02-Jun-19 11:59:28

I'm sure the Queen will guide him as to the right thing to do.

Legs55 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:09:01

I don't think there is any dilemma here, Harry is classified as a "minor Royal" as is any -one apart from the Queen & Prince Phillip, Charles & Camilla, William & Kate & their children

I wonder if Phillip will be tactfulhmm. Charles has the bigger problem meeting Trump for Tea, they disagree on climate change & green issues but I'm sure he will be very diplomatic. I'm sure none of the Royal family want to meet Trump but he is President of the USA & will be accorded the respect that he deserves as Head of State & representative of the American people who elected him.

sodapop Sun 02-Jun-19 12:35:00

I agree Callistemon the Queen is professional through and through and it behoves Harry to follow her lead. Like it or not DT is President of United States and should be accorded the respect due to his office if not to him.

Nanny41 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:36:54

Harry will do his duty, like the Queen they will be very diplomatic,maybe teach him a thing or two.
Why is that man interefering in British politics, its nothing to do with him.
Another thing why does Britain have to pay millions of pounds for security,when the Trump family follows, were they invited to a State Visit? and two Airforce One planes arriving,I ask you! Its going to be an interesting week ahead.

Twig14 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:41:04

Well said mrneduc I totally agree with you

sandelf Sun 02-Jun-19 12:58:45

Come on - we don't stoop to reacting. He meets him if requested and HE is polite - doesn't have to be anything more than that. Just because POTUS is a boor does not mean we should sink to that too. I'm sure Gran has instilled that value.

tigger Sun 02-Jun-19 13:03:16

I wouldn't call it purile nonsense or Trump bashing. This man is a global dangerous threat. However I think in this instance the comment "nasty" has been taken out of context. He was referring to what Megan Markel said about him which he said was nasty, not that she was nasty.

DameJudyClench Sun 02-Jun-19 13:07:14

Maybe Harry could make some brownies made with copious amounts of laxative to go with his tea?

sarahellenwhitney Sun 02-Jun-19 14:05:57

EllanVannin
You knew?grin I am sure her majesty bowed to HRH Meghans wishes.grin

Anniebach Sun 02-Jun-19 14:27:58

Trump wouldn’t notice if Harry was there or not,

schnackie Sun 02-Jun-19 15:11:11

I never advocate violence, but in this instance, I would be happy if Prince Harry just punched him in the nose! Although spitting in the tea and putting laxatives in the brownies are a close second. When a head of state personally insults the wife of anyone, it is inexcusable.

maddyone Sun 02-Jun-19 15:15:18

Agree educ

maddyone Sun 02-Jun-19 15:18:44

mrneduc, entirely agree.

Posted too soon on previous thread.

I don’t like to see mature people demeaning themselves by their purple comments. I think we should all stop Trump bashing. He isn’t a nice man, we know that, but he is the elected Head of State of one of our closest allies. We should respect the position.

Callistemon Sun 02-Jun-19 15:27:45

The POTUS is here on state business representing the USA and honouring those who died for our freedom

Can we not at least honour that, whatever we may think of the man himself?

Anniebach Sun 02-Jun-19 15:41:45

He didn’t insult the wife, he said what she had said was nasty

The media is stirring things up by keeping on and on.

The man is here to honour the dead , pity the Speaker, Cable, Corbyn can’t do the same.

jen53 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:49:21

I’m sure Harry will take great pleasure in being the bigger person. He’ll be polite but won’t engage in any personal conversation. It would be too easy to take that man (for want of a better word) down to China town (as they say) but he’s not worth the effort. Harry will do his diplomatic duty will do the Queen.

varian Sun 02-Jun-19 15:52:11

The Speaker, Cable and Corbyn, will all, I'm sure, take part in honouring our wartime dead. None of them want to honour Donald Trump who should never have been invited to a state visit so early in his presidency and at a time when our country is in chaos, not helped by him or by his Russian sponsor. I'm sure many or us feel sorry for Her Majesty, who apparently has no choice but to play hostess to some pretty dreadful people.

NannyC2 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:00:34

Taken out of context!
What was reported was....

Speaking on "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore" in 2016, Markle called Trump misogynistic and said his politics are divisive, saying she would move to Canada if he won the presidency.
Trump responded, "I didn't know that she was nasty. I hope she is OK. ..." He seemed to bury the hatchet saying, "I am sure she will go excellently (as a royal). She will be very good.

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 16:03:24

DoraMarr. I don't follow the Royal Family but this is a really good question!

I'm sure I remember Michelle Obama saying that if someone insults or hurts you, then "Go higher." In other words, don't go down to their level and argue back in their terms, but be gracious and hold your head up so that they cannot pull you down.

I imagine this to be a modern way of describing an aspect of duty. I agree that The Queen has to be polite to all who are presented to her no matter what they might be like. She represents our Country. In this situation, Prince Harry also represents The United Kingdom and I'd like to see him "go higher" and show that we are gracious and do not stoop to shameful personal public insults and neither do they affect us when others try to hurt us with them. We know ourselves well enough. That is all that matters.