Gransnet forums



(7 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 01-Jun-19 11:31:18

I do not sleep in the same room as my OH (who is disabled) as he has the TV and music on all night!

I have tried using children's walkie-talkies so that he can contact me if he is in trouble, but they always break down - the one we have at present just beeps incessantly!

Baby monitors look good but of course they relay every sound from the room - which is exactly why I am in another room in the first place!

Any ideas out there?

mumofmadboys Sat 01-Jun-19 11:40:55

A hand bell?

kittylester Sat 01-Jun-19 11:43:01

Contact your local council and ask for a visit from the people who supply all sorts of technology for care situations. (There is a name which someone else will know!)

We had a talk at one of the Alzheimer's groups and there are lots of things they can do. He could wear an alarm which alerts you via a vibrating receiver for example. They are really good at coming up with solutions.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Jun-19 11:43:37

Tried that! - I do not have my hearing aids in at night! smile

kittylester Sat 01-Jun-19 11:45:41

Or 2 Alexas?

A hand bell might give you a heart attack!

Assistive technology is the council department you need!

Luckygirl Sat 01-Jun-19 11:46:19

When I say tried that, I mean the hand bell!

Thanks kitty - I will look into it.

kittylester Sat 01-Jun-19 11:53:12

The vibrating alarm goes under your pillow.

The assistive technology dept here will 'invent' a system to help people.