Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh No - Ant and Dec on M&S checkout!

(49 Posts)
Hampshirehog Wed 05-Jun-19 12:24:17

I recently bought some food in our local M&S and decided to go to the self-service checkout only to be greeted by the voices of Ant and Dec when I pressed 'Start'! I still can't believe it and I, for one, am really not a fan and feel that, again, M&S have got it wrong. What do you think?

Kitty1951 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:37:45

I don’t understand this obsession with Ant and Dec. Other drug dependant celebrities have been dropped from television programmes.

Eloethan Fri 07-Jun-19 13:58:43

I find them a bit irritating but the introduction of the disembodied voices of anyone on these checkouts is, I think, very silly.

Now Ant and Dec are doing the Santander adverts. It seems these celebrities have never got enough money.

Desdemona Fri 07-Jun-19 11:03:37

I have had Amanda Holden and Alesha Dixon on recent shops. I think I would like to hear Kenny Everett - it would be "in the best possible taste!"

Dee1012 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:55:22

Living in the North East and saying I really dislike Ant & Dec is like saying I'm planning to murder families!!
And don't even get me started on Amanda Holden angry

Margs Fri 07-Jun-19 10:48:48

Well, at least it wasn't DelBoy and Rodney from that appalling "Only Fools & Horses".

Loveable Rogues my arse! No such thing.

TwiceAsNice Fri 07-Jun-19 09:31:37

I refuse to use self service checkouts. I like to talk to a person who is being paid for doing a job not contributing to rich celebrities who do not need more money

grannyactivist Fri 07-Jun-19 01:04:33

I'm not at all sure I would even recognise a 'celebrity' voice, so it would be lost on me I'm afraid.

Swanny Thu 06-Jun-19 23:15:49

Thank goodness I avoid using self-service tills. I'm paying enough for necessities without paying 'celebrities' to take my money from me angry

NanaSuzy Thu 06-Jun-19 19:51:00

Ooh I never realised it was Amanda Holden! Hate BGT.

NanaSuzy Thu 06-Jun-19 19:48:37

Yes, I got the damn stupid 'I'm Amanda' Nonsense - WHY? Why can't they just have onscreen instructions of some kind, sick of the eternal 'unexpected item in bagging area' !!!!! Or at least a neutral, business-like voice, not a so-called celebrity or faux-friend.

NanKate Thu 06-Jun-19 17:39:46

What a waste of money paying these celebrities to do the voice overs. At least it is not Steve Wright who I think speaks in a slovenly way. When I said this on another thread I got lambasted. I love accents by the way.

Tin hat at the ready ?‍♂️

Camelotclub Thu 06-Jun-19 17:29:57

I wondered who it was when she said "Hi, I'm Amanda." I don't care who you are, I thought, let me out of here. Voice suggestions: John Bishop (for Merseyside stores), Gregor Fisher for Scotland, Iolo Williams for Wales, Jasper Carrott for the Midlands, Alan Titchmarsh for t'north, Joanna Lumley for the south, the Wurzels for the West Country.

Smiley4 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:49:52

I’ve heard this in marks and spencer. And I’m not a fan. It put me off. Instead of paying them, they should reduce their prices!,

Legs55 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:40:18

Thank goodness I don't use self-service checkoutsgrin

Mollygo Thu 06-Jun-19 16:17:32

What amazes me is how folks are so familiar with the voices that they can tell. I used the M&S checkout this morning, but I didn’t recognise the voices.
Note to self... must watch more TV.

Aepgirl Thu 06-Jun-19 14:32:04

At least if you go through a checkout you get to choose who to speak to and listen to. I avoid these self-service checkouts as it has been proved that people are losing their jobs because of them.

Anyway why should a celeb be paid when we have already chosen our shopping - wouldn’t make me want to shop at M&S.

LadyO Thu 06-Jun-19 13:38:39

Oh yes, Amanda and Alesha are screeching at my local M&S. The standard auto till voices are annoying enough but those two.... aaaargh!!!angry. I asked one of the shop assistants if it was driving all the staff mad having to hear them all day - (yes) - and she showed me a button on the till where you can reduce the volume right down ... hah! Haven’t quite had the nerve to do it but maybe I will next time!

GrannyHaggis Thu 06-Jun-19 13:37:31

Simple solution.......don't use the self service check outs !

HildaW Thu 06-Jun-19 13:30:06

Yet another reason why I prefer not to use self checkout, they reduce jobs too. Much happier having a person to talk to and its been interesting trawling our new area to see which ones I prefer. We are in a semi rural area but with a large city 10 miles away so we are slap in the middle of quite a selection of different supermarkets and even branches of same. Its been quite an eye opener testing them out.

Chino Thu 06-Jun-19 13:16:32

Horrible idea - gave me a shock when I heard it.
Feel M and S have lost their way

KatyK Thu 06-Jun-19 13:15:58

I've just been into Santander and Ant and Dec are in there on a TV thing advertising Santander products. They are everywhere!

Davida1968 Thu 06-Jun-19 13:08:22

All this information has reinforced why I always use the "person" checkout!

NannyG123 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:25:24

I've heard Elvis Presley on checkout in Poundland.. that was quite annoying.

gillyknits Thu 06-Jun-19 11:33:06

WE got Amanda Holden last time we used the check out at M&S. What on Earth are M&S doing.? Trying to be trendy, yet again, I think. When will they learn that it won’t work.

Craftycat Thu 06-Jun-19 11:26:19

I love Ant & Dec.
I actually feel sorry for Ant- I cannot say hand on heart that I have never driven the morning after a night out when I suppose I could still be slightly over the limit. TBH it never occurred to me until his case was all over the front pages.