Gransnet forums

Chat

LOL Tricia Cusden

(55 Posts)
GrandmaCornwall Thu 06-Jun-19 16:38:12

Tricia Cusden has written a book about staying stylish as you grow older, has anyone read it ? It sounds interesting and Tricia is a very stylish woman, I am not sure how much time and energy she puts into looking good but maybe she has some good ideas. Is there anyone one else who has any ideas on how to rev up some energy, spark the old enthusiasm and find the lost motivation?
P.S the LOL stands ‘for little old lady’ in this case and how to avoid being called a LOL.

Daisyboots Sun 09-Jun-19 12:26:43

janeainsworth thank you

Lilyflower Sat 08-Jun-19 17:59:22

Whenever I put on a dress and makeup the DH looks at me with surprise and says, ‘You look nice.’

janeainsworth Sat 08-Jun-19 12:45:12

Daisyboots flowers

harrysgran Sat 08-Jun-19 12:24:56

After reading the article and looking at the photographs of the lady I think some of her make up tips are helpful however her style is over the top and the lilac outfit is frumpy very WI as I would say to my sister who is a long standing woman's institute membersmile

Daisyboots Sat 08-Jun-19 00:29:35

I haven't read the article but I know I know Tricia Cusden from her make up range. In her videos I always find her stiff and formal whereas I prefer to look friendly and approachable. At 75 I think I look better without make up so no longer use it except sometimes a lightly coloured moisturiser if I look rather pale. As I have to stay out of the sun while having chemotherapy I may be using it a bit more under the factor 50 cream I must now use.
I have to disagree with 1mm6 daughter about only wearing boots with trousers as even in the winter it is too warm even in winter to wear boots very often in Portugal. As I rarely wear anything but trousers it's sandals or Sketchers summer shoes in the summer and trouser socks with shoes in the winter. As for solid waistbands I think everyone to their own choice solid or elasticated. At the moment with the metasteses on my spine stretch waistbands and stretchy fabrics are a godsend .
After all surely we have now reached the age when we can dress to suit ourselves and not the fashion police. I have just had my silver white hair cut really short in anticipation of losing it in the next few weeks. I like it so much I think I will keep it very short when it eventually grows back again.

Glammy57 Fri 07-Jun-19 21:08:09

I’ve never heard of Tricia Cusden! Have always had my own sense of style - a friend’s husband told me tonight that I “always look so elegant"! It's all about balance - like most things in life!.

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 20:37:05

None whatsoever, varian
I think it could depend on your circumstances and level of self-assurance and contentment though.

varian Fri 07-Jun-19 20:35:11

Does it actually mater that much if a seventy year old looks like a seventy year old? - or an eighty year old like an eighty year old? We are real people, still alive, not dead, as some of our school-friends might be. and if we look like the people we are, what's the problem?

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 20:32:10

If she had rosacea I can understand why she uses makeup as she does.
I had acne rosacea years ago (probably due to stress) and can sympathise.

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 20:29:17

*stuck in a sack of flour^

grin
Not the way I apply it on my nose and chin! Never on any wrinkles.

Clinique loose translucent powder applied very sparingly with a brush on nose and perhaps chin
Still glowing wink

00mam00 Fri 07-Jun-19 20:18:58

I always refer to older women using face powder as having stuck their face in a sack of flour. Go with the shine, it’s far more youthful and attractive.

I do have my own style fashion wise but can’t go the whole
Fashionister route as I live on a small market town and it might frighten the animals.

Elvive Fri 07-Jun-19 18:50:12

Walkers.....nearly £ 200 for trews that look as if you've had an accident!

Lark21 Fri 07-Jun-19 17:45:44

I admire Trish C for what she had achieved but she looks so LOL in her clothes like a headmistress from the 1950s and her make up it looks so unnatural and absolutely caked on - I really hope she isn’t the way we all should look I agree with the posts wear what you feel good in

Nannyxthree Fri 07-Jun-19 17:37:27

I think this lady has forgotten that it is the hands that really give away a persons age and hers look her age.

Elvive Fri 07-Jun-19 16:16:33

annab,thanks an excellent tip.

M0nica Fri 07-Jun-19 16:10:57

The problem is that to embrace grey hair, you have to have it.

My family have the gene for not going fully grey until their 80s, if then. I am in my mid 70s and still predominantly my original colouring, except for going grey around the edges, which I colour. Except that nowadays, with the use of colour so wide spread, everyone assumes that my hair is coloured, and not that they are actually looking at my original colouring.hmm

Theoddbird Fri 07-Jun-19 13:51:43

I dress for me and nobody else. I love loose Italian linen dresses and have the same style in several colours and patterns. I live on a narrow boat so wear baggy heavy cotton dungarees when home as they are practical and so comfortable. I think it is all about what is right for your lifestyle. Find a style that you are comfortable and a happy with. Keep the colour palette simple. I am so for older women going grey. I have grown out my short hair into a bob and dye it metallic silver. Grey hair is not aging....go for it....embrace it.

Matelda Fri 07-Jun-19 13:15:25

Tricia Cusden founded a brand new business, Look Fabulous Forever, at the age of 65. She wanted makeup for older women which would cover her own rosacea. Now at over 70 she is her own best model and her business is thriving. Salutations to her for changing her life through her own efforts. I love her makeup, particularly the face primer and the matt eye makeup and lipsticks.

With so many LOLs having given up on physical fitness and appearance, now is the time for plain ones like me who think it is worthwhile to make an effort and to try new things to make an entrance and shine. A woman is never too old to change her life.

Immiesnana Fri 07-Jun-19 13:05:20

Paperback writer,I followed your advice and went on Walkers. What a lot of very expensive sacks. I am a size 18 but have always followed the mantra "any high street label as long as it fits well". In my opinion it is these shapeless clothes that are ageing. My latest fitted summer dress from Tu ( Sainsburys) was £16:50 in the sale, fits perfectly and has received many favourable comments. If you try to hide yourself in voluminous outfits it just makes you look bigger.

MaryXYX Fri 07-Jun-19 13:02:46

Most of my clothes come from charity shops, and I have had compliments on my style. I normally wear a skirt and top as it feels more feminine to me. Three years ago I went to 'Pride' as Batgirl, in a black PVC minidress. Just be yourself!

annab275 Fri 07-Jun-19 13:01:45

Tricia Cusden dresses like my mother in law who is 76 - very neat and tidy and co ordinated. It looks nice, but a bit dull in my view. I have just discovered Mistral www.mistral-online.com/clothing-c50/tunics-dresses-c1#page2:infid30664_9360 - a bit like Seasalt but cheaper. I think it is great to wear fun clothes that are comfortable with pockets and not perfectly tailored. Each to their own. For me lagenlook is just a bit too voluminous and there is a danger of sweeping coffee cups onto the floor or being trapped in a car door. I cannot quite get my hear around that I will be 66 very soon.

Pat1949 Fri 07-Jun-19 12:30:20

Probably ok for a wedding or the theatre but not really for the supermarket, which more or less is my only outing these days. I tend to dress in trousers or black jeans these days and a reasonably fashionable top, topped off with a fashionable coat or jacket. I rarely go out without light makeup but never lipstick, I hate lipstick on me, I’ve never been out with it on.

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 12:18:30

I don't always wear makeup but if I do I make sure to powder my nose (loose, translucent powder).
Surely a shiny nose is not a good look?

SueLindsey Fri 07-Jun-19 12:15:14

Luckily I've never been stylish in my life and don't intend to start at 68!

Paperbackwriter Fri 07-Jun-19 11:43:45

Goodness, she looks so conventional and dresses incredibly safely, doesn't she. So VERY Daily Mail! There are certain labels that don't get any coverage but which are wonderful for all ages. I like Mama B (Italian, but available here), Rundholz (expensive but I look on eBay and sales) and various others. Have a look online at a company called Walkers Style. interesting stuff and the models include the owner who is definitely +++ size.