Gransnet forums

Chat

Online receipts

(14 Posts)
M0nica Fri 07-Jun-19 17:05:57

When I order something online, I always print out the on screen confirmation of order and order number, in case no confirmatory email arrives and I have to chase the company up. So why does this receipt always cover multiple sheets of paper, when the confirmatory email is always short and to the point

I have just ordered some flowers from Waitrose. The receipt covered three sheets of paper, one of which had only one line of print on it. Yes, I do use gash paper, which already has print on one side of it, but really all the screen print needs to have on it is company name and logo, what has been ordered, delivery details and order number, which should fill about half a sheet.

phoenix Fri 07-Jun-19 17:16:49

You could just copy & paste the relevant bits (order number, for example) into a blank document, and then print that?

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 17:16:58

Firstly I don't print them, just put them in a special folder in the mailbox. However when there is something I want to print which is full of unnecessary info I use ctrlA to highlight the whole thing, ctrlC to copy, then open a Word doc and ctrl V to paste. After that I go through and delete all the rubbish! Only after that do I print. Sounds long winded but is not when you've done it a few times

phoenix Fri 07-Jun-19 17:19:06

Alternatively, just print the confirmation email, after all, you wouldn't have been sent that if the payment hasn't gone through, and it probably contains the order number anyway!

phoenix Fri 07-Jun-19 17:20:21

Were on similar lines, Nonnie ! smile

GabriellaG54 Fri 07-Jun-19 17:28:38

Well, since the dawn of time (in reality, since emails were 'invented') I have never failed to receive 3 confirmatory emails.
1) after ordering
2) after receipt of payment
3) after merchant dispatches item(s)
There is usually a 4th email from PayPal if I have paid by that method or one from bank which verifies transaction.
Printing out is a waste of space and paper.

Alima Fri 07-Jun-19 17:29:05

Seems a bit of a waste of time/gash paper and printer ink M0nica. If I need a copy invoice I take a photo with my phone which can be produced when needed.

M0nica Fri 07-Jun-19 17:53:12

In the past I have made online orders that have gone astray and then when I have chased them I have been asked for an order number, which I haven't got because a web page is ephemeral. That is why I started printing them. I certainly do not print out the confirmatory emails. Apart from anything else, once they arrive I know the order has been received.

cornergran Fri 07-Jun-19 17:58:00

I capture a screen shot and save it in a ‘just in case’ folder. Insurance so I’ll never need it. smile.

phoenix Fri 07-Jun-19 18:00:14

Well, M0nica may I refer you to the suggestions made by Nonnie (and me!) which should solve you problem!

Actually, you wouldn't even need to print them at all, just save the c&p'd documents in a dedicated folder on you pc.

Safe, easy to access and environmentally sound. smile

dizzyblonde Fri 07-Jun-19 18:24:55

This reminds me of a credit controller I used to work with. She’d have an email correspondence with a client and then print the whole thread out and post it to them. She couldn’t understand why the boss got a bit fed up of the colossal waste of money on paper, ink and postage.

fizzers Fri 07-Jun-19 19:23:44

I don't print online receipts out either, I save the emails in a special folder, I also save the attachments (if there are any) and I upload them to my cloud account, should I need them. If any of them have come via text message, I back that up also.

M0nica Sun 09-Jun-19 09:04:55

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am not talking about the confirmatory emails you get, nor am I talking about online receipts. None of which I print out

I am talking about the last online screen on the suppliers website when you place your order, which says 'Thank you for your order, we will send you a confirmatory email.

A quick click on print screen still seems a much easier and immediate solution for a confirmation that may only be needed for an hour or so than all the complicated cutting and saving to a word document etc.

M0nica Sun 09-Jun-19 09:26:18

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am not talking about the confirmatory emails you get, nor am I talking about online receipts. None of which I print out

I am talking about the last online screen on the suppliers website when you place your order, which says 'Thank you for your order, we will send you a confirmatory email'.

A quick click on print screen still seems a much easier and immediate solution for a confirmation that may only be needed for an hour or so than all the complicated cutting and saving to a word document etc.