Gransnet forums

Chat

Storm Miguel

(6 Posts)
Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 19:50:34

Storm Miguel is right over us as I type - thunder, lightening, hail, dark skies and heavy rain.
I hope none of you are out in this.

Sadly, I think that three people have lost their lives off the French coast trying to rescue others.

Jenty61 Sun 09-Jun-19 18:44:32

Where are you? its calm on the south coast of the uk

MiniMoon Sun 09-Jun-19 18:46:20

Jenty it was two days ago, look at the date of the post. We only got the tail end in Northumberland.

Callistemon Sun 09-Jun-19 18:47:09

Oh! Someone replied smile

The storm was on Friday evening and must have hit a swathe through Somerset (where a children's nursery was hit by lightening, unoccupied at the time thank goodness), Cardiff. where there were apparently piles of hailstones on the pavements and 'rivers' running down the streets, and surroundings but I don't know where it went from there.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 19:51:55

We had that in the NW on Friday, the day before that too.

M0nica Sun 09-Jun-19 20:08:49

Only just seen this thread. We definitely had these storms in Oxfordshire.

It started with an enormous crack of thunder immediately overhead with no visible lightening. And it completely overwhelmed our electrics. Some of our appliances were restored by flipping a few switches back up on the consumer unit, but DH had to go out and buy a new router for the internet yesterday morning because that was non-functioning and we think it has also blown the master unit on our alarm system.

The repair man is coming tomorrow but the man on the phone, after getting me to press various buttons on the keypad without effect, thinks this is the most likely problem.

For us the storm has been quite expensive.