Gransnet forums

Chat

This is the other TV licence petition

(36 Posts)
12Michael Wed 12-Jun-19 08:26:22

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/234627

12Michael Thu 20-Jun-19 08:23:40

Having read MOnicas view, I agree Gordon Brown not only did the free TV Licence but also introduced the Bus Pass as well.
These were done when the pension increase was a minimum of say 50p a year before being linked to RPI and then CPI as to increases by the present government .
Even in my case although under 75 , have found myself getting around with other work pensions earning less after Tax , which is less than when I was working full time before 2003 .
Mick

nightswimmer Thu 13-Jun-19 14:48:12

Seems to be doing well perhaps they will backpeddle?

Pennypie Thu 13-Jun-19 13:40:43

Signed.

For those saying they can afford it, then don’t apply for a free licence. It’s not automatic, you have to apply for a free licence.

And the money saved by the BBC won’t be going to younger generations, it’ll be staying in their coffers.

But for those who would feel guilty receiving a free licence after 75, then don’t apply for it.

FlexibleFriend Thu 13-Jun-19 13:34:35

No, I think £12 a month isn't a great deal to pay for what we get and if I can currently afford it but can't work or get my State Pension for at least another year and I can manage on what I have I'm sure when I get my state pension I'll feel like I've won the Lottery. There are certainly plenty of 75 year olds than can easily afford to pay it and it's freebies like this that have made me and lots of others have to manage for longer with less. Those on pension credit will still get it for free and I'll be expected to pay even though I have little choice over leaving the house or not. In an ideal world we'd give Pensioners a huge increase and masses of freebies but we don't live in an ideal world.

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jun-19 12:52:09

There are always more important things but IMO it's the insidious crumbling away at civilised society and accepting things because they are only £3 a week which makes me sad and cross.
I think what I'm trying to say is that its not all about the money, it's also a sign that we value people and honour them for their long contribution to our society.

My In laws are in their 90s and watch TV every evening, They have stopped buying a newspaper and can't see to read so looking forward to favourite programmes is a pleasure to them. They like to tell us what to watch. OK so they probably can afford it but it's back to the slippery slope analogy.

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 12:37:17

I agree with you Motherofmany . There are plenty young people struggling to make ends meet who would love to have a free TV licence. I agree that those on the lowest incomes should benefit but perhaps this should be across the board and not just for the over 75's.

Motherofmany Thu 13-Jun-19 11:02:52

Not signed, am 76 next month and although not rich I can afford 3 quid/week for TV. Only yesterday my son with Down Syndrome had a letter saying he will have to pay 31.50 a week for day services out of his meagre disability allowance as will all his mates. I have more important issues to worry about!

blondenana Thu 13-Jun-19 10:46:42

£10-£15wouldnt make much difference ,taking into account prescriptions, fuel, council tax rent etc
Would need to be much more
I have signed

harrigran Thu 13-Jun-19 10:31:22

Signed.

goldengirl Thu 13-Jun-19 10:19:05

Done. A television can be a lifeline to many housebound people who may not receive any other benefits

Lyndiloo Thu 13-Jun-19 01:58:43

I signed - although I did feel a bit guilty, as we could afford to pay for a TV Licence.

I don't like the idea of having to pay prescription charges, though. Many elderly folk must be on repeat prescriptions (luckily not I!) and what are the charges now ...? Is it £9 for every item? That could amount to quite a lot out of their pensions, and make the difference between managing and floundering! And ditching bus passes could mean that a lot of older people would have to choose between getting out and about and other essentials.

I think there's a lot of jealousy nowadays for the 'baby-boomers'. Work was plentiful, house ownership was achievable, etc. What a lot of younger people don't recognise is that we were brought up in a time of frugality. If you couldn't afford something, you went without - or saved to buy it.

Nowadays, they buy it on their Credit Card, or get a loan and pay interest. Can't be without the latest mobile phone, TV, - wotever! They aren't prepared to wait and 'make-do'.

I went without lots of things when I was first married ('fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV, etc. and most of our furniture was second-hand) in order to be able to afford a mortgage.

No, we weren't just 'lucky' - we were sensible and self-denying! Things we were brought up to be. Time has moved on, but the younger generation could learn a lot from us 'baby-boomers'!

(Sorry, gone a bit 'off-post'.)

Witzend Wed 12-Jun-19 20:01:08

Dh and I have a few years before we'd be entitled to it. TBH we could afford to pay, and there are plenty more like us so I don't see why we should get it for free. Ditto the winter fuel allowance, though I have to say we do love our Freedom Passes, and use cars a lot less since we've had them, so that's an environmental advantage, too.

Personally I think there are too many freebies for people who could well afford to pay. I know someone who left well over £1m cash and two houses paid for when he died, but for years before that he'd seriously abused free prescriptions, stockpiling masses of items which now and then were just thrown away.
And I don't suppose he's the only one - far from it.

merlotgran Wed 12-Jun-19 20:00:50

Signed. If the Beeb needs to save money they can cut the obscene amounts of money some of their presenters are paid.

womblekelly Wed 12-Jun-19 19:45:35

Will not sign, I feel very strongly that we have left an abysmal legacy for our childr3n and grandchildren and nobody owes us a free TV licence being the generation who denied future generations a free university education. For the record neither of our daughters have a student loan and we are investing to ensure neither of our grandchildren do either

phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 19:36:09

A bus pass would be great, if we had any damn buses!

nanaK54 Wed 12-Jun-19 19:32:15

I have signed with my lovely 88 year old MIL in mind, her main pleasures in life are her family, feeding the birds and watching TV

Marelli Wed 12-Jun-19 19:31:39

Signed.

rafichagran Wed 12-Jun-19 19:23:16

Signed.

Loislovesstewie Wed 12-Jun-19 18:49:49

I've signed. I also believe that state pensions should be increased dramatically so that pensioners can decide for themselves what they would like to have but until that day I will also argue that tv licences , bus passes act should continue to be free .

crazyH Wed 12-Jun-19 18:42:58

Signed

phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 18:26:17

Sorry, not signed.

Those in receipt of pension credits will still not have to pay, therefore it is sort of means tested, and those who meet the criteria (i.e. on low/restricted income) will still get a free licence.

Same with the Winter Fuel Allowance. It is given automatically to those over a certain age. My mother gave hers to Dogs Trust, someone else I know puts it towards their annual trip to Australia shock

A few years ago I was in the unfortunate situation of having to claim JSA. How I was supposed to live on about £114 a fortnight, with a mortgage, bills etc was beyond belief.

As someone who will also have to wait until I'm 66 to get my pension (something that I have paid into for all my working life, and still pay into) sorry, age no longer should be an entitlement to various freebies.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 12-Jun-19 18:19:59

This petition is flying!

Already got over 100,000 signatures which qualify for a parliamentary debate.

Thanks Mick for bringing it to our attention.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 12-Jun-19 18:09:17

Signed

GrandmaJan Wed 12-Jun-19 18:03:45

I’ve signed although DH and I are not 75 yet. MOnica mentions stopping the winter fuel payment, Christmas Bonus and free prescriptions. I think stopping free prescriptions for patients of pension age will cause more hardship because the majority of elderly people regularly get several items on prescription every month. I know they could buy the annual pass but that’s over £100. I’m a Nurse Presciber so I’m aware just how much free prescriptions benefit this age group and I know if they had to pay they would try and do without.

callgirl1 Wed 12-Jun-19 17:56:29

Signed