Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyonoe else sulfate and parabens free?

(22 Posts)
M0nica Fri 14-Jun-19 15:56:44

Vinegar was used to rinse hair, when people washed their hair in soap, it took all the stickiness and dullness out of soap washed hair. You pulled a strand of hair quickly through your fingers after the vinegar rinse and if the hair squeaked when you did so you knew all the soap residues had been washed out.

Once modern detergent shampoos came in it was no longer necessary to vinegar rinse after a hairwash, but it continued to be used. I know my mother rinsed my hair in vinegar after every wash. Once on my own, it did not take me long to realise it was unnecessary.

I think it was vinegar (malt) for brunettes and lemon juice for blondes.

Bigred18 Fri 14-Jun-19 12:39:18

In the "olden days" my mother was a hairdresser, at least 80 years ago. When i was a toddler she used to rinse my hair with vinegar. Made my auburn curls shine!

b1zzle Fri 14-Jun-19 11:18:21

Thank you everyone! All help gratefully received - good to know I'm not alone with this problem!

tanith Fri 14-Jun-19 10:14:02

NannyJan53 thanks for that I did try it when I saw they recommended it but my hair is naturally curly and I could hardly get my wide tooth comb through it after using the cider vinegar it was unmanageable so have had to revert back to my old conditioner

NotSpaghetti Fri 14-Jun-19 09:14:58

Try Avalon Organics
I love the shampoos. Sadly in bottles though ...

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Jun-19 09:08:35

It might be worth looking at your local market for Friendly products. They’re on sale at ours, from the stall that sells refill toiletries and cleaning stuff.

Esspee Fri 14-Jun-19 07:26:01

I have a friend who is unrecognizable if she has accidentally used a product containing parbens. I must send her a link to this thread.

NannyJan53 Fri 14-Jun-19 07:21:42

Tanith looking at Friendly Soap Co. They recommend using a Apple Cider Vinegar rinse as a conditioner. They list on their website as below.

1 part apple cider vinegar (use the type with ‘mother of vinegar’)
4 parts water
A few drops of your favourite essential oil

I was looking to order but the cost of postage is more than the Shampoo Bar. I suppose you have to order a few to make it more cost effective.

PoppedOver Thu 13-Jun-19 23:57:42

Yes! Me too!

I use Faith in Nature for shower gels but they do hair care and soaps too. They’re stocked by Holland&Barrett, Ocado and Boots and they have their own website.)

Jason (daft name but good products) are good for shampoos. They are in Holland&Barrett, on Ocado and they have their own website.

I use a heavy conditioning masque on my hair from the Shea Moisture range available at Boots, Superdrug and elsewhere.

Soaper Duper is now stocked by Boots (instore not online) as well as Tesco. I’ve never used it but it’s been well reviewed by Sali Hughes in The Guardian and it’s next on my list to try.

Lots of the pricey and or organic ranges are SLS free like Neals Yard and REN (check the labels)

Some of the alternatives to SLS leave my skin feeling tight, though not itchy, so it’s trial and error as to what works. I found the Love Beauty & Planet range (Sainsbury’s and elsewhere) smelt lovely and was a good price but was no good for me when used daily.

Resurgam123 Thu 13-Jun-19 23:21:43

I would be surprised if Lush had any non skin irritating washing products. The first thing not to buy is perfumed skin products. I had some which came from body shop and the perfume was too much for me. Ban those highly perfumed washing powders as well.

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Jun-19 17:44:55

Lush might do one

tanith Wed 12-Jun-19 16:15:53

I bought shampoo, shower soap and travel soap from the friendly soap comp which are great but they don’t seem to do a solid conditioner so I’m still using my usual one. Anyone recommend a solid conditioner?

PamelaJ1 Wed 12-Jun-19 15:34:42

Sorry , not sulphate or parabens but also important.

PamelaJ1 Wed 12-Jun-19 15:33:43

I have put this up on a different thread but thought it worth repeating

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-Jun-19 14:44:27

Friendly soap and shampoo.

www.friendlysoap.co.uk/

Cheap as chips and very good. Particularly the shampoo bar, which lasts for ages (£2.62).

Marilla Wed 12-Jun-19 14:38:29

I recommend Allergenics. It is easily available on Amazon.
They do a shower gel, shampoo, lotion and a soothing cream which provides great relief from itchy patches.
The shower gel is lovely to use in the bath.
I discovered it by accident. Holland and Barratt used to keep it in stock, but now they only do it on line.

blondenana Wed 12-Jun-19 14:34:19

Boots have lots of shampoos that are paraben and sulphate free

petra Wed 12-Jun-19 14:33:48

That's per day the plastic ingestion.

petra Wed 12-Jun-19 14:32:31

My bathroom is practically plastic free now.
Soap in the shower and bar of soap shampoo which is Amazing.
I'm looking now to make my own cleaner.
Did you see the news this morning that we are now injesting (through our water) the equivalent of 1 credit card size of plastic. That's Parabens that we are ingesting through using these products etc.

M0nica Wed 12-Jun-19 14:32:15

Holland and Barrett, most supermarkets have additive free ranges. I rely on H&B, plus online suppliers.

Bigred18 Wed 12-Jun-19 14:24:19

Yes! I was advised to make sure hair products were free of all that stuff as i have a sort of psoriasis on my scalp
Go to an organic hairdresser for colour. In shower i use derma?? but i still itch and have to take loretadine (used for allergies and hayfever)

b1zzle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:17:17

All soaps, shower gels, shampoos and conditioners with sulphates and parabens make me itch uncontrollably & I'm desperate to find products without these additives. Anyone else encountered this problem (and found a solution?)