Gransnet forums

Chat

May Bank Holiday 2020 changed

(14 Posts)
NanKate Thu 13-Jun-19 10:48:08

For those who book events well ahead, next year’s May Bank holiday will be on Friday 8 May to celebrate VE Day.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Jun-19 11:01:28

Well that makes a change from May 1st being " Labour Day " as introduced by Michael Foot many years ago. Taken from the communist idea of " Workers Day ".
I remember my brother carrying on working, on principal.

Commemorating VE Day is far more appropriate.

Blinko Thu 13-Jun-19 11:02:41

Can we have the holiday on VE Day every year?

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 11:51:52

I think there have already been reports of a few upsets caused by this sudden change. Couples who have booked weddings years in advance, who now find that their bank holiday wedding will not be a bank holiday at all.

ElaineI Thu 13-Jun-19 15:53:39

It will cause problems in NHS and schools as well because next year's holidays are already decided. If I had not retired I would be delighted because there are so many Monday holidays and that used to be my long day at work and had to use up 9 hours of annual leave! On Fridays it was only 4 ½ hours. NHS stopped us having Victoria Day - also on a Monday in May and gave us Good Friday instead which meant a 4 day break like at Christmas and New Year. Good for the staff who work Monday to Friday but not so good for patients.

suziewoozie Thu 13-Jun-19 16:11:14

Yes gillybob I read about the wedding problem - I do feel sorry for the couples involved and all the problems caused for their guests. It was James Callaghan who introduced the May Day bank holiday - Michael Foot was never PM. It helped us catch up a bit with other countries which ave more generous bank holidays than us on the whole.

Loislovesstewie Thu 13-Jun-19 16:17:13

I am quite happy with having a May Day bank holiday. I think of it as being the festival where people went A Maying on May Day morning . Perhaps the government could let us have that and another for VE day?

Alima Thu 13-Jun-19 16:26:55

What a good idea. Brilliant way to commemorate the 75th anniversary of VE Day. It was done in ‘95 for the 50th too. It is my birthday so lovely having everyone celebrating! Hope they do the same for VJ Day. Shame they didn’t give more notice. Calendars can be amended using stickers, bit different for weddings etc.

cornergran Thu 13-Jun-19 16:55:10

Snap Alima, its my birthday too. smile.

ginny Thu 13-Jun-19 17:25:46

It will also cause problems for many committees with events booked for the May Day holiday.

phoenix Thu 13-Jun-19 17:44:58

Wish there was a bank holiday in Autumn/Winter.

As someone still working, it's a long stretch from the August bank holiday to Christmas!

silverlining48 Thu 13-Jun-19 18:21:47

Yes our meagre bank holidays are bunched together, easter, either March or April, then two in may. Nothing til August bank holiday and again nothing until Christmas. Don’t think I have missed anything, Think we have fewer bank holidays than any other country. A poor show.
An extra day in October would be nice.....there must be something to celebrate...ah, yes, back to Brexit.

phoenix Thu 13-Jun-19 18:39:43

Remembrance day? 11th November, could be an option..........

suziewoozie Thu 13-Jun-19 19:00:42

Phoenix - it is in France ( as is Labour Day and VE Day)