Gransnet forums

Chat

Aldi - recommendation please

(152 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 15-Jun-19 12:56:06

I’m visiting an Aldi store for the first time ever on Monday - any recommendations as to what to buy - good, wine etc. Thanks

Marmight Thu 20-Jun-19 09:31:24

Anno it will be used by my PT as yet another instrument of torture when putting me through my paces. I'm trying to improve my core strength ?️‍♀️ ?‍♀️ (no tittering in the back row...)

JackyB Wed 19-Jun-19 13:20:32

Here's Suzie's thread for those that missed it.

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1262650-Back-from-Aldi-thank-you

EMMF1948 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:19:03

DH loves their "middle aisle" products i.e. home 'n' wear.

I have stuff from the middle aisle that I bought over 40 years ago when we lived in Germany and no-one in the UK had heard of Aldi.

3dognight Wed 19-Jun-19 11:16:01

When I first went to aldi it was all boxes on the floor and no prices, and I was in awe of the checkout staff, who knew the prices of everything in store in their heads, and so quick through the checkout. It always, well back in the nineties, seemed a store for the less well off, which included me and my partner then, this is just a personal observation....but now the car park of ours is full of big expensive cars waiting to park.

It does seem to be a store that recognises a 'trend' in an instant, and responds quickly with its own products. Usually very good and competitively priced.

I heard too about the meat, being as good, if not better than Marks and Sparks. However, I do support my local butcher.

As I have now to walk to my aldi, about fifteen minutes away, and carry all stuff back, I don't go as often as I ought as my local morrisons is two minutes away.

annodomini Wed 19-Jun-19 10:59:52

Do tell us what you are going to do with that roller, Marmight. Remember: a bargain is only a bargain if you need it!
Says she sanctimoniously. grin

Marmight Wed 19-Jun-19 10:23:00

I went yesterday for cold meats and fish fingers and came out with ....won't bore you, but lots...... and a foam fitness roller/instrument of torture. Did I really need it? Not really, but it was a bargain grin

suziewoozie Tue 18-Jun-19 23:24:57

Jacky I started a thread to report back on what I bought

Poppyred Tue 18-Jun-19 20:04:09

I agree FlexibleFriend, never had a problem with their fruit and veg, amazing value!

FlexibleFriend Tue 18-Jun-19 19:50:38

I keep reading fruit and veg doesn't last so decided to see for myself an happy to say it simply isn't true. I bought a selection of fruit and veg 7 days ago and haven't eaten it all yet but the ones I ate today were as good as the day I bought them.

JackyB Tue 18-Jun-19 19:01:18

Wonder if Susiewoozie has managed to struggle back with her bags full of everyone's suggestions.

lilypollen Tue 18-Jun-19 18:40:49

Not topical now but all the family now buy Easter eggs and treats from Aldi and Lidl, excellent chocolate and novelties. It used to be M&S and Waitrose!!

Davida1968 Mon 17-Jun-19 09:52:39

Dishwasher tablets, washing-up liquid, laundry liquid and household cleaning materials are good. Also tinned pulses and tomatoes. (We never buy meat, fish or milk in Aldi because we try to "buy locally" for these.) Wines, croissants and some nice breads are worth trying. Also nuts, prunes and seeds.

mosaicwarts Mon 17-Jun-19 08:02:47

Bought the cherries yesterday, only 89p and delicious!

Missiseff Mon 17-Jun-19 07:47:32

We don't shop anywhere else. Never had a problem with potatoes! A lot of their things come from the same factories as Marks & Spencer's, in particular their roast in the bag chickens, and those boxes of biscuits Marks do at Christmas - exactly the same at a fraction of the cost! There's absolutely no need for supermarket snobbery. Aldi nappies come out top in surveys too. Don't like Lidl but their champagne's good at £9.

callgirl1 Sun 16-Jun-19 22:50:52

This thread is making me wish that I could use Aldi, and if they delivered I`d swap supermarkets in a heartbeat. I`ve never been to a Lidl store.

mrswoo Sun 16-Jun-19 22:23:34

Their Fair Trade instant coffee is excellent for the price.
Also love their wee tubs of chilled rice pudding, falafels, washing up liquid, gin, popcorn and all the deli meats. Love all the German gingerbread goodies at Christmas.

JaneJANE60 Sun 16-Jun-19 22:23:28

Marshmallow brownies in a tub - delicious. Displayed with the cakes. I think they are £1.79! Enjoy

Mistymorningstar Sun 16-Jun-19 22:03:14

Thats such a damn shame - we the shopper will feel the loss.

Mistymorningstar Sun 16-Jun-19 22:00:57

Well it depends what you eat. Please be aware that Aldi and Lidl buy in large bulk with less variety than Tesco Sainsbury's Waitrose etc., so sell cheaper. Look up Aldi wine and see the reviews. I'm an Aussie living in the UK since 1976 and only buy Australian Wines as the others are too acidic for me, Aldi has Cambalala Pinotage a South African wine for £3.99 which is a knockout. There are others which i have not savoured as i am not a serious drinker - just a glass when out. Also Greek Yogurt (not greek style which is rubbish in comparison) is the best - especially if you want the choice of full fat or fat free - and the cheapest at 450gm tub. I also like their variety of ice creams and frozen flans etc., which are good and cheap. Good variety of cheese, i like their goats cheese, cheap loo tissues in large packs, cheap coffee sachets in packs of 8 under £1. Cheapest sweet potatoes, meat (i no longer buy chicken as i cannot find one that isn't smelly & the one with the most bacteria is Morrisons.) Best to go and look for yourself, but things like tinned evaporated milk, tinned rice pudding (i have acid issues and it works for me when feeling a bit iffy) condensed milk, apple sauce, chutneys, dressings are the cheapest. Just go and have a good look around and see what you like. Take care x

melp1 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:55:16

Buy lots from Aldi, but not the fruit & veg unless eating within 2 days I find it doesn't keep well. sad
Wines are good.wine

crystaltipps Sun 16-Jun-19 20:33:15

I would imagine every supermarket chain is worried about Brexit, since such a high % of produce is sourced from the EU.

Greyduster Sun 16-Jun-19 20:30:52

I have just switched to Aldi gravy granules too. Much better than Bisto these days.

annsixty Sun 16-Jun-19 19:47:22

My S spoke, few weeks ago, to a regional manager at Aldi and believe me they are worried, very worried about Brexit

whatkatydid Sun 16-Jun-19 19:43:17

I agree about their chocolate; the everyday stuff is delicious, and their champagne truffles and the like are gorgeous. The do an organic range of prosecco and pinot grigio which is lovely; there's an Aldi about ten minutes from me, and if my local friends and I visit each other, it's almost expected that you'll turn up with Aldi choices and wine! Tinned chopped tomatoes are great value at around 35p, and as good as the Cirio range I used to buy at twice the price. Fresh fruit, especially berries and grapes, delicious. The Lacura range of moisturisers etc is really super, and look out for the Hot Cloth Cleanser they bring out occasionally, it is fabulous value, and you'd be really pushed to tell it apart from the more expensive ones on the High Street. Their clothes can be good; my son has got some nice jumpers, and a great 'parka' type winter coat there; and my daughter is a dancer, and loves their Lycra crop leggings and sports bras. At Christmas, their socks and knitted slipper boots are great!

Newatthis Sun 16-Jun-19 19:41:33

Yes, the chocolate is very good and the ready made soup in the fridge tastes very good too. Their 25 month matured cheddar is the best I've tasted (gold wrapper)!