Gransnet forums

Chat

Something I have always wanted to do.

(91 Posts)
NanKate Sat 15-Jun-19 15:06:48

If I am perfectly honest I do not have any artistic talents when it comes to drawing but I often sit doodling. When I see some of the wonderful artists on Countryfile I envy how they can draw plants and animals.

Today I bought myself a book called 'By the end of this book you will be able to draw'. I am so excited by the prospect of following the simple guidelines and producing something I am pleased with.

DH is quite artistic and if I asked him to sketch something for me it would be recognisable. However I am not telling him about my acquisition as I think he would be surprised that I even wanted to try and he would take over trying to be helpful and I don't want that. So until I can produce something presentable I am only sharing the knowledge with my GN pals.

Do you have something you would like to try ?

Greyduster Thu 27-Jun-19 13:34:58

Razzy if you do decide to get a piano, invest in a digital one. They never need tuning. Piano tuners are as rare as rocking horse poo these days.

Greyduster Thu 27-Jun-19 13:32:35

I have done both and enjoyed neither, NanKate (well, the piano more than the pool!). Glad to hear the sketching is progressing!

NanKate Tue 25-Jun-19 20:22:06

Balls ? yes I am back at my drawing board after a few days away and I have been learning about drawing circles, shading, tonal values and the results are reasonably good. I keep my drawing to about 15 - 20 minutes at a time as I am one of those people who flit from one thing to another and this time frame suits me.

Have any of you dabbled on the old Joanna ?? Or dipped your feet in the pool ?‍♀️whilst I have been away ?

NanKate Wed 19-Jun-19 22:44:53

Nothing from me for the next few days as I am on grandparent duties and helping organise my DS’s 45th birthday party.

Be back next week.

Razzy Tue 18-Jun-19 23:04:13

I want to learn the piano! I played flute at school, in orchestra, and used to be able to play a little of most instruments. But I’d like to have a piano at home and have lessons.

NanKate Tue 18-Jun-19 22:33:46

Carillion your flowers sound lovely. What a talented bunch we are given a bit of encouragement and time.

Carillion Tue 18-Jun-19 10:28:19

Hello NanKate, I would love to be able to sketch and paint watercolours but don't think I could manage it. I have however, been teaching myself to make ribbon embroidery flowers. My own Grandma was a smashing needle woman and thinking of her makes me keep trying. I know we always need to have something to aim for and trying to be creative always brings me a lot of peace.

NanKate Tue 18-Jun-19 07:22:24

I love your pic Bradfordlass

BradfordLass72 Tue 18-Jun-19 06:53:47

craftyone

I had this amazing vision of you taking a flying leap over a stallion... grin

Coolgran65 Tue 18-Jun-19 03:59:24

Pp mentioned cutting hair. Over 40 years ago I lived in Libya and hairdressers were few and far between. I had always been one for taking the scissors to my own hair as cutting my little boy's hair. It wasn't long before I was tackling the hair of several ex pats friends. Wouldn't have won any awards but it got us through.

Also sewing, at about 18 years old, many's the Saturday morning saw me cutting out fabric on the floor and wearing the dress dancing that night. One pattern and different fabrics, I had about 5 of the same empire line and sleeveless. Not a lot of fabric required as they ended about 4" above the knees. smile

sharon103 Mon 17-Jun-19 22:13:29

Perhaps not as idyllic as it sounds Callistemon lol.

NanKate Mon 17-Jun-19 21:53:12

Day 3 and I am surprised that I can draw a picture of my wardrobe door with a long mirror on it and show what is reflected. The bedroom door is not as successful but at least it is recognisable.

I then moved on to sketching a pot with pencils it it. My pencils looked more like sticks of asparagus, but hey ho I’m a beginner.

blue60 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:55:09

You just have to go for it!

whywhywhy Mon 17-Jun-19 20:20:10

Good luck! I would love to learn to play the saxophone, maybe one day.......

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:18:09

I can picture you sitting in a field wearing a straw hat and a pretty floaty dress on a warm sunny summer's day with your easel, sketching the wild flowers swaying in the breeze.

I've tried that (not in a floaty dress but in cropped trousers and a top!) and got bitten by a horse fly resulting in a painful and swollen leg!

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:16:15

and I should go back to the piano - why did I give it up when I was 12?

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:14:56

I would love to be able to sing
However, I don't think that any amount of training would produce a result.

DazedAndConfusedByLife Mon 17-Jun-19 20:12:09

I took up Clarinet 4 years ago but my OH got over-invested and began to nag me if I hadn't yet practiced that day, and would criticise any mistake I made despite him not having a musical note in his body.

In the end he was harassing me so much that I was hating the instrument so I sold it. I really regret that now as when I was left alone I did enjoy it. He doesn't see it that way - in his eyes he was encouraging me. hmm

I think the problem is that he has no hobbies so focuses on mine. He did the same when I worked, he would ask about my day and then that was the subject of his conversation ALL NIGHT and as soon as I opened my eyes in the morning. Utterly soul destroying.

Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 19:03:37

NannyC1 I keep telling myself that if people in wheelchairs can fish from boats without ending up over the side, so can I, but it’s a big ask at the moment!

craftyone Mon 17-Jun-19 17:20:09

It is too late for me but I wish I could jump a horse

NannyC1 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:21:10

Greyduster. Go for it with the boat fishing. I was really nervous the 1st time I went now I love it.

Happiyogi Mon 17-Jun-19 15:41:17

What a lovely iris, blue60.

I'd like to act, but just typing the words is giving me stage fright!

NanKate Mon 17-Jun-19 15:29:55

That is fabulous Blue. ?

Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 15:26:17

Superb! You have a talent!

Witzend Mon 17-Jun-19 15:00:53

blue50, that is beautiful!