Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog Owners (irresponsible)

(53 Posts)
Johno Sat 15-Jun-19 16:53:09

I find a fair proportion of dog owners to be so far up their own nose its almost akin to psychiatric impairment. Example; Dog off lead runs at you - the owner says: "it's OK he won't bite ya"!! How can these people be so contemptuous? They assume you do not fear dogs. What do you think? Is it fair game?

phoenix Mon 17-Jun-19 18:45:22

I lovedogs, but believe that training is paramount!

Currently, I seem to be running a canine creche at work! Shelby, a Labrador cross has learnt that while I am quite happy for her to spend time in my office whilst her owner is otherwise occupied, I go through doors first (she has to sit & stay until I tell her to move) jumping up is not allowed under any circumstances, I could cope with it, but a small child or a frail person might not.I

A well behaved, well trained dog is a delight to those that like dogs, and no bother to those that dont.

watermeadow Mon 17-Jun-19 18:44:48

One problem is that dogs do not go straight from untrained to trained overnight. Training a puppy to be obedient and well-mannered takes a year or more.
My young dog is still changing and goes from one naughty phase to a different one. I know she can be a nuisance. I’m sorry, I’m trying hard to civilise her but it will take time.

thecatgrandma Mon 17-Jun-19 18:28:01

I loathe dogs. Even if I didn’t, why would I want someone’s (friendly) dog to jump up me, when it’s nose has probably just been up another dogs bum or has been eating horse poo?

nanny2507 Mon 17-Jun-19 17:46:42

Grammaretto 20 years ago I was totally savaged by a collie. I had to get rid of my own dog at the time and I was terrified of dogs for years. I still have very visible scars OH nearly lost a few fingers trying to get it off me

Grammaretto Mon 17-Jun-19 16:30:50

I think we're in the same camp BlueBelle. I am fond of dogs and as OP says, it's just some owners who give them a bad name.

I have one friend who is actually terrified and once out walking with her we came to a farmyard with collies barking. Ignore them said I, they won't be interested but they must have smelled her fear because one jumped the stile and came straight at her - growling and she had to run for cover.

Stray dogs in packs make me nervous too as my DS was bitten soon after I told him to walk past without looking at them.

nanny2507 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:23:03

bluebelle i sort of agree too. I do not take my dogs to cafes or shops i dont like being jumped on either, but, if I stop and say hello to a dog and it jumps on me then thats my own fault. I do not like dogs on leads unless they are aggressive as dogs need to run and play as it uses up energy which if SOME dogs dont get to run it can turn to aggression. I,m lucky my dogs are well behaved but thats because I put time and effort into them. One of my dogs is always on hand to receive strokes from children and she loves it but this only happens when the child asks.

Sara65 Mon 17-Jun-19 15:20:43

BlueBelle

100% agree

BlueBelle Mon 17-Jun-19 15:08:59

This is just it I m not anti dog and certainly don’t belong to the dog haters BUT I want them in the right place, which is on the end of a lead , going for two walks a day and NOT in shops or cafes (I ve no problem with cafes having an outside bit for dogs) but I don’t want them snuffling shaking or drooling whilst I m eating or trying on clothes That’s literally all I don’t think it’s too much to ask
One day I was sitting on the beach and this big dog came up behind me as I turned it was just about to cock it’s leg up by my back Dogs are not allowed on our touristy bit of the beach May to September although we have wilder parts of the beach they can go on but the Moans and groans is unbelievable

Septimia Mon 17-Jun-19 14:49:52

I've never been keen on dogs but have got on well with individual ones belonging to friends. Being accosted by a strange dog can be quite disconcerting. And what it you're allergic to them? No amount of 'He doesn't bite' will help with that.

Having said that, we did have a funny experience years ago with a young 'Dulux' dog which was being allowed to have a free run on a quiet sandy beach. DS, aged about 3, was walking between DH and myself, holding hands, when said large puppy careered in our direction. It wasn't looking and ran straight over DS, leaving him flat on the sand, like something out of a Tom & Jerry cartoon. Of course, the owners were horrified and apologetic but fortunately DS was unhurt. I hope they took the dog for obedience lessons after that as the outcome could have been very different.

fiorentina51 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:40:17

In the past 6 months I've had 3 dogs leap up at me. Non on a lead and no control evident from the owners. Also got bitten on the leg by my neighbours Bassett Hound when I stopped to say hello to her. She was mortified and assured me he had never done anything like it before. It must be me. ?

sodapop Mon 17-Jun-19 13:25:32

Yes Iam64 there seems to be a trend towards treating dogs like accessories or children. They are animals and need to know their place to have a happy life. I have tried explaining the last bit to my 14year old JR but he thinks the household is his to order.

Calendargirl Mon 17-Jun-19 13:09:41

Another poo story, sadly not in a bag. Walking home from swimming, I saw a lady on a mobility scooter with dog on lead in the distance coming towards me. I thought they were quite slow in reaching me, when we eventually met I smiled and said “Good Morning” to be met with no eye contact or greeting. As I reached my neighbour’s hedge could see the reason for the delay, a nice little deposit on the ground, also I imagine why no response, feeling guilty.
I don’t know if this was a one off, but seems to me you shouldn’t own a dog if you can’t pick up after it.

Iam64 Mon 17-Jun-19 12:58:58

I have two dogs currently, in the past have had 3 for quite long periods.
Mine all go through the Kennel Club bronze, silver, gold training. Doesn't make them perfect dogs, they're dogs but they come back when called, they don't fight other dogs, if we see a dog coming on a lead, ours go straight on their leads, they aren't allowed to run up to any person or any dog. I pick up the pooh and deposit in a council bin or bring it home and put it in my general rubbish bin.
So - I'm a very ordinary dog owner. In my 70 years I've had only 4 within sharing my home with dogs.

The anti dog brigade is growing. Is it because there are too many untrained, spoiled dogs these days? Too many dogs who can't walk on a lead, they're given a harness so they can pull even more and their handler has even less control. My Mary Whitehouse tendencies are taking over my Polyanna ones - is there a link with what seems to me to be a general increase in rude, ill considerate , self serving public behaviour.
Is it Brexit and the tory leadership making us all feel irritable?

Loislovesstewie Mon 17-Jun-19 12:52:58

When I walk my dog he wears a muzzle, most people think it's because he's vicious. No, he likes to eat any rubbish he finds and I am not keen on that. He's well fed but thinks that the weirdest things are yummy. I am often treated like a pariah because I try to be sensible. He doesn't jump up, doesn't slobber on people, I clean up behind him and bin the bags responsibly, but we get comments about the muzzle. I can't win, can I?

Grammaretto Mon 17-Jun-19 12:01:52

Poo bag story coming up; I was walking DDs dog so inevitably got talking to the doggy brigade. One complained there are not enough poo bins along the railway path . The council should provide more. She pays council tax etc.
I dared to suggest there was no obligation to keep a dog as far as I knew and anyway I find them unsightly so she could take her poo home with her. I think children and soiled nappies also came into the conversation.
Anyway a few days later, I met her again coming towards me with her 2 large dogs. They always have 2.
She was clutching a heavy poo bag. Seeing as I was nearer the entrance bin than she I offered to deposit it for her.
She was astonished! Would you really do that? she said.
So my good deed for the day was adding another pile to the plastic and dog poo mountain and making a dog owner happy.grin

Grammaretto Mon 17-Jun-19 11:49:34

I don't like irresponsible dog owners either. You are not alone! There's a customer at our local food shop whose lab follows her in. When I suggest the shop will be closed down she always says "she normally sits outside and waits for me" really? No lead. Other dogs are tied up outside.
Ofcourse the staff member tells me she's a customer. Really?
That is only the latest encounter with the doggy worshipping community.
I realise I'm a grumpy old woman but someone has to be.
My current pets are clothes moths. I'm sure they accompany me in to shops but they won't bite you , they are only interested in your clothes.

MawBroonsback Mon 17-Jun-19 11:17:13

“Ace” ?
“secure”

MawBroonsback Mon 17-Jun-19 11:16:01

Sorry Nanny2507 that is still unacceptable. Take the bags with you, in another carrier or a crossbody bag or whatever - how heavy is a dog poo bag? If properly tied up, or double bagged perfectly ace- - do not leave dog poo bags where anybody else (a curious toddler?) can access them.
Your dog, your responsibility.
(PS you would be liable for a fine in the same way that a dog owner can be fined for not clearing up after their dog)

BlueBelle Mon 17-Jun-19 10:51:09

Wheniwas no it’s not an animal charity but a children’s charity I really can’t give the name but it’s not Barbados I think you will just need to watch shops as I think it is getting more popular to open their doors to dogs but why I have no idea
Shopping and dogs does not go together

nanny2507 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:49:43

I AM NOT A HANGER lol i tuck them in i would never hang them up thats disgusting. I only leave and tuck if the walk i,m doing has only one bin if they poop half way round i;ll bag it and carry it but as i walk mine for 2 hours sometimes it can be difficult to carry if 1.5 hours or so.

nanny2507 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:45:06

esther1 i definitely DO NOT hang them anywhere. I leave them on the floor near a bush where i can see them on my way back

sodapop Mon 17-Jun-19 10:33:25

I have three dogs wheniwasyourage
Two of them we rescued from cruel owners. I think it's our choice to have three, we don't inflict them on others and they are well cared for. I don't understand your comment about meat, if you choose to eat less then good for you. My dogs have a limited amount with their dry food.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 17-Jun-19 09:31:29

BlueBelle, is it an animal charity which runs the shop you work in? Could you tell us which charity it is (I know that may be difficult for you to do) as I, for one, will make a point of avoiding its shops.

Esther1, you have said what I keep saying too - nobody would want my toddler DGC dribbling on their clothes, so why should I want to be licked by a strange dog? I was brought up with dogs, and know how much love they can bring to a family, but I have been happily dog-free for many years and don't want to change that.

Why do so many people now seem to have more than one dog? Isn't one enough, particularly as they are meat-eaters and we are supposed to be cutting down on meat?

Sara65 Mon 17-Jun-19 07:59:07

A few years ago we had a horrible experience at work, somebody who had presumably been walking their dog, and then come into us, left one on the sales counter. That was truly disgusting !
That’s a bag, not a dog, by the way!

Esther1 Mon 17-Jun-19 07:48:07

I have actually been told to my face that I can’t be a very nice person because I confessed that I didn’t like dogs. I am perfectly happy for dogs and owners to have fun and absolutely appreciate what joy and love is to be had. I just don’t want to pet their dogs and I certainly don’t want them pawing me. I am sorry if this offends - but I wouldn’t let my toddler grandchildren put their sticky fingers on anyone uninvited- so why am I berated for backing away from a dog!