Gransnet forums

Chat

Banking blues

(101 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 07:13:02

I've noticed that some posters on the Chat thread, mention, on a regular basis, going to their bank.
Is this to deposit money from a business or to withdraw cash?
To deposit cheques or do other business?
It seems so old fashioned as you can scan cheques with your mobile phone and do all other banking online either via their website or by downloading the relevant app.
Do some of you simply prefer f2f contact or is your preference when discussing mortgages or other products?
My own banks are forlorn, largely empty spaces nowadays as seen in passing.

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:45:48

Online banking is virtually secure nowadays.
Halifax have fingerprint recognition and you have to input email address, password, and selected digits or characters from your memorable word, after all that there is voice recognition where you repeat a pre-recorded phrase. After all that you can input your card number etc.
M&S bank give you a pass key thingy and you have to input certain numbers then they send a time limited code to your mobile which you then input on the app with your email address, password and memorable word.
I've never had any hiccups.
In bad weather it's a boon but of course, there is always cash-back from supermarkets or ATMs.

Riggie Mon 17-Jun-19 14:47:33

Our local branches have closed so it's a rare visit to a real one - they expect you to do everything by machine anyway so no point unless I'm paying in.

I

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:50:43

You can always ring your bank and ask them to transfer money or pay by bacs. Simple.

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:56:20

evaniers
I know. They will simply visit a bank.
I was simply asking what GNs preferences were. It wasn't a post exhorting everyone to have a smartphone or use an app.
Laptops are just as likely or unlikely to be hacked as a mobile.

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:58:09

The people working in shops probably do all their own shopping online.

annodomini Mon 17-Jun-19 15:03:06

I used to like popping into our very friendly RBS branch but this, in common with the other banks, has gone from our small town. If I want to deposit a cheque, I have to do it at the post office where there is often a huge queue.

Happysexagenarian Mon 17-Jun-19 15:09:36

Our bank is always very busy. We like the face-to-face contact and are on first name terms with some of the staff. We don't use online banking or telephone banking (don't trust it) and we still use cheques. We're not particularly old-fashioned, just cautious.

Dancinggran Mon 17-Jun-19 15:14:14

I do go to my local branch on occasion, however the branch is closing in a few weeks time so I've set up for Internet banking. I do sometimes use the Barclays in the small town where I work if I have anything to pay in for Guides/Rainbows as there are cashiers in the branch, where I live its those machines, which I hate..... it's always busy and quite often 1 or 2 of the machines aren't working and invariably there'll be someone at another machine who doesn't know how to work it.... finishes up taking more time than if there had been cashiers(who now seem to wander round asking' Do you need any help? '

Grandmama Mon 17-Jun-19 18:07:30

No mobile phone here, I don't do internet banking so I go regularly into the two banks where we have accounts. I'm wary of ATMs outside in case they have been tampered with and once when DH got cashback we were given a fake £20 note.

BBbevan Mon 17-Jun-19 18:15:36

We bank online but visit our local bank ( 20miles ) to discuss finances and to withdraw big sums of money if we need them . The bank is nearly always busy.

4allweknow Mon 17-Jun-19 18:44:39

DanniRae. For most a walk in the fresh air to visit your bank is long gone. My bank is always busy and I also do on-line banking. Can't empty the Gds piggy bank into the computer though.

Hymnbook Mon 17-Jun-19 19:20:42

Internet banking secure. I don't think so. I have been hacked 4 times. The hackers are getting extremely clever. I now bank the old fashioned way. I'm sorry that banks are closing. The ones that are left have less staff and a lot of things you have to do on machines all be it inside the bank. So no internet or telephone banking for me.

phoenix Mon 17-Jun-19 19:29:23

Not only does one of our nearest towns no longer have any banks, but we no longer have a post office in the village (used to be part of the shop) and now have a mobile Post Office, Monday to Friday, 9.15 to 11.00

Unless there is flooding, or it's broken down, or out of action for some other reason........confused

Legs55 Mon 17-Jun-19 19:50:14

When I moved here 4 years ago we had 2 Banks now both are closed although we do have Mobile Banks visiting several days a week barring breakdowns etc.

At the moment I have a Post Office within walking distance where I can pay in & draw out, it does however take an extra day for cash/cheques to be credited to my account.

Nearest Town has all the major Banks but parking is no-where near them & I have mobility issues so I rarely visit them. I don't qualify for a Bus Pass yet & buses/taxis are prohibitively expensive.

I do use on-line banking as I can keep an eye on the transactions in my account.

Fennel Mon 17-Jun-19 19:50:53

Where we lived in France a lot of the older generation didn't even have a computer, let alone a smartphone.
Most seemed to have a bank account but needed help to withdraw money from the cash machine.

Bathsheba Mon 17-Jun-19 20:03:40

It seems so old fashioned as you can scan cheques with your mobile phone
You may be able to, but my bank hasn't yet completed rolling out this particular facility to all of its mobile banking app users. In the meantime I shall remain, in your rather superior view, 'old fashioned'.

seadragon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:04:53

I guess I am out of date because, having had 2 frauds on my credit card account which is separate from my bank account there is no way I am going to trust on-line banking. We have also just seen the massive power outage in South America and I can't begin to imagine the chaos that would have caused financially was well as in other sectors. All this convenience has led to people losing their jobs and ultimately less opportunities for human interaction which I believe is essential for well being. We are beginning to live a virtual life behind a screen. Does no-one remember the fun we had going clothes shopping with friends? Everything is so fast and slick there seems no time to stop and savour.

seadragon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:05:55

I guess I am out of date because, having had 2 frauds on my credit card account which is separate from my bank account there is no way I am going to trust on-line banking. We have also just seen the massive power outage in South America and I can't begin to imagine the chaos that would have caused financially was well as in other sectors. All this convenience has led to people losing their jobs and ultimately less opportunities for human interaction which I believe is essential for well being. We are beginning to live a virtual life behind a screen. Does no-one remember the fun we had going clothes shopping with friends? Everything is so fast and slick there seems no time to stop and savour.

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:07:08

Hymnbook
Oh dear! That's jolly unlucky.
I have eset smart security pro on my phone which sweeps apps, file, e-mails and messages before they appear.
Anything dodgy is alerted with the background of the phone turning red with an exclamation mark and the words 'scam alert'.
I can't envisage how anyone could be scammed or hacked if they follow guidelines, especially using banking apps, unless the bank itself was hacked.
They have multiple layers of security.
Was it a British bank?

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:11:28

I haven't got that type of phone, GG54 - nor do I want one.

If we don't use our bank branches they will close.

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:12:41

I know DanniRae and I do love being outside, especially in nice weather but the walk from home to Guildford where my nearest branch is would take about 1hr 21mins

That's probably because people bank online and any nearer branches have closed!

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:14:57

Bathsheba
Apologies for offending you.
Many things are considered old fashioned, from Crimplene clothes to b/w tv's, brick phones to permed hair and a host of other things.
It's not superior for me to say so...unless, of course it makes you feel inferior.
In that case we must agree to disagree. smile

Chewbacca Mon 17-Jun-19 20:20:25

I have no interest or intention of using online banking. My bank is available by phone 24/7 and so any transfer of money is done that way. Cash obtained via the Post Office and the very rare cheques I get are paid in over the Post Office counter. We've lost several local Post Offices in the past few years, mainly due to cut backs and lack of use. I'm using ours to try and save it.

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:23:49

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcM_X11qgw8

and an old-fashioned bank to deposit my millions!!
grin

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:26:09

Eartha Kitt
Wasn't she just brilliant!