Gransnet forums

Chat

Back from Aldi - thank you

(66 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 17-Jun-19 14:15:02

So I bought - coffee, cheese, salmon wellington, steak, chocolate, ground almonds, sparkling water and wine ( red, white, champagne). The fruit and veg looked good but I was well stocked up on those so gave them a miss. It was very busy but parked all right . The store was smaller than I expected and I had to concentrate not to miss anything. Will now look forward to tasting everything. Thank you for your help

Summerstorm Sun 23-Jun-19 13:29:48

Have to say I love Aldi’s and Lidl’s. The middle isles in both are amazing, my most recent purchase was solar lights for the garden (which I did need) and chunky wool that I loved the colour of, but is probably the last thing I needed. Having said that, who buys any craft items because the need them

Nannyxthree Sun 23-Jun-19 13:18:57

I'm just back from a shop in Aldi followed by some extras at Tesco. Now thoroughly miffed that I paid 75p for tissues in Aldi and could have bought similar for 50p in Tesco!

It's not the first time this has happened, but agree on the whole Aldi /Lidl are cheaper.

lefthanded Sun 23-Jun-19 12:59:18

I worked in Germany for a while in the late nineties. Aldi and Lidl are the main food retailers there. We shop in either whenever we can. The only product from them I have ever been disappointed with was salted peanuts (not enough salt for me).

Callistemon Sun 23-Jun-19 12:09:38

No, I have an ad from a bank offering me a loan.

Should I go for it?

annsixty Sun 23-Jun-19 12:00:13

Anyone else getting Tesco ads on the side saying, we deliver straight to your door ?

LuckyFour Sun 23-Jun-19 11:36:45

I like Aldi, can't fault the freshness of food particularly fruit and veg. However, I feel guilty about not going to Sainsburys who have served me well for many years. I have to go to Sainsburys for a few things I can't get at Aldi eg my favourite tea bags, so sometimes laziness takes over and I get everything from Sainsburys rather than bothering to go to both shops.

Theoddbird Sun 23-Jun-19 11:26:15

I am going to give Aldi a try. 279 days until I retire so need to cut back on my spending.

Annana Sun 23-Jun-19 11:07:15

I find that Aldi in England ( well, the new store in Nuneaton) are so much better than in Germany , at least than in the part where I live. I can’t help feeling that this is a relatively recent drive by Aldi to assert themselves in a competitive and perfect Consumer market and am surprised that they have been around so long in England and only now this campaign.
My reservation is that this „take over“ by a couple of Discounters will eventually control and limit our choice. But then, off to Aldi I go!

annsixty Sun 23-Jun-19 11:05:33

I am not and never will be rich but I agree with always looking for the best value everywhere without compromising quality and service in retail and comfort and cleanliness in hotels, restaurants etc.A family member had a big birthday recently and the amount spent on meals out at top restaurants was amazing to me, but their money, their choice.

sazz1 Sun 23-Jun-19 10:54:11

Daughter's friend's mum and dad are millionaire property developers and they shop at Lidl as it's good value

DS64till Sun 23-Jun-19 10:51:27

I must admit I get a shock if I shop elsewhere but there are a few products that I suppose are ok but I don’t enjoy so will get elsewhere. Have a real problem with their fruit as it never seems to taste as flavoursome and I seem to get before ripe and then it’s gone and inedible. Not a big fan of their beef joints which seem to be anaemic and hot dogs which were as tough as old boots and we ended up throwing

Albangirl14 Sun 23-Jun-19 10:17:48

Pleased to hear you found the Ground Almonds after my reccomendation and others .

Harris27 Sun 23-Jun-19 10:12:52

I'm on a tight budget much later in life than I should be due to hubby losing job late and working in lower paid job. ( sorry just explaining) and find we eat really well shopping at aldi even when we have small family get together soon I can still afford to supply good feast. Love it my lifeline!

lilihu Sun 23-Jun-19 10:05:48

Yes, ours is very modern now, with excellent lighting and signs; dare I say chic?

harrigran Sun 23-Jun-19 09:18:47

I was surprised at the difference in Aldi stores, ours is super duper and easy to navigate. I went to one in Brussels with DD, when I was staying with her, and it was like a jumble sale in the back end of nowhere.

silverlining48 Sun 23-Jun-19 08:52:39

Does everyone know that Aldi suncream was voted best by Which magazine last year? I have used it fir years.
I am a big fan of the middle aisle. It’s astonishing the variety of things to buy there, generator anyone? There always something. Dh bought walking boots fir £8 he used them fir 6 or 7 years, they are still ok, but they are relegated to the garden now. Mine are also Aldi.

Bordersgirl57 Sun 23-Jun-19 06:45:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jessity Sun 23-Jun-19 06:35:27

But I have! Last time it was their Lacura eye shadow palette which is actually not bad, comes with double-ended brush and mirror, though I could wish there were fewer glittery shades. And the time before was knitting wool because I knit for our local premature baby unit.

Maybe neither of those count if aisle of wonderment purchases are things you never knew you needed and still don’t when you get back home!

suziewoozie Sun 23-Jun-19 00:02:36

I would if I knew

Carillion Sat 22-Jun-19 23:20:11

You tell me

suziewoozie Sat 22-Jun-19 23:17:43

What am I missing Carillion?

Carillion Sat 22-Jun-19 22:34:34

Must be wonderful suziewoozie that you and Jessity have not bought anything from the aisle of wonderment even though one of you has been married , yes honestly, for so many years

suziewoozie Sat 22-Jun-19 22:00:38

Not one thing - cross my heart and hope to die

Jessity Sat 22-Jun-19 21:41:56

suziewoozie did you really, truly, cross your heart not buy anything from the aisle of wonderment in the centre?

Carillion Sat 22-Jun-19 15:48:53

Hello Jacky, I understand all you say. I think because I'm in a quiet part of Brittany...even for Brittany ... people are bombarded by the weekly supermarket leaflets which seem to influence how many now attend Aldi/Lidl.
I've been reading recently the history of those two supermarkets and how the founder members...eventually went their separate ways and hence, the two outlets started their own, different shopping personalities.
I agree entirely about what you say about the plastic packaging but still think the produce makes both worth a look. X