Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC Our Next Prime Minister

(74 Posts)
Marilla Tue 18-Jun-19 20:48:55

I am shocked by the standard of debate and the lack of the ability to questions with integrity. The only candidate who spoke with clarity and honesty is Rory Stewart.
God help us if either of the other four get appointed!

Day6 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:59:17

up against an interviewer like the late Robin Day.

This has nothing to do with the thread but am I alone in thinking the animated Robert Peston is modelling himself on Robin Day?

looby Wed 19-Jun-19 15:59:05

I didn't think any of them came off very well but Emily was really terrible, she didn't give them enough time to speak (except Rory Stewart) or answer the questions, constantly nipping & butting in while they were speaking, that's not being tough & edgy, it's unprofessional & just plain rude! She handled it very badly indeed, but I was even more stunned by Gove's little outburst right at the end,what he said about Corbyn was outrageous! I'm not a labour supporter either by the way.

Day6 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:56:04

The only candidate who spoke with clarity and honesty is Rory Stewart.

Who is Thersa May, Mark2.

Heaven forbid he makes headway. He believes we should accept TM's abysmal WA. He is a Red Tory, a Leave means Remain Brexiteer, as was TM

No thanks.

POGS Wed 19-Jun-19 15:48:58

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/19/disappointing-and-deluded-imam-lambasts-tory-hopefuls-on-islamophobia

'An imam who asked a question on the BBC’s Conservative leadership debate has been suspended by his mosque and the school he works for after it emerged he had previously made “extremely disturbing” comments on social media.'

'There was further embarrassment for the BBC after it emerged another questioner had worked for Labour. Aman Thakar stood as a council candidate for the party last year and was also involved in the running of Labour’s investigation into antisemitism.'
---

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48687744

' Earlier, BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast presenter Nicky Campbell apologised for having Mr Patel as a guest on his show, saying the imam had made "extremely disturbing" comments on social media, which should have been checked.'

The BBC is not doing very well lately is it.

Labaik Wed 19-Jun-19 13:23:31

Whenever Gove speaks we wait for him to mention the his father and the fact that he was adopted. Last night he also got in that he was in care for 4 weeks. Blimey; must have been traumatic Michael...you must think about it every day....

humptydumpty Wed 19-Jun-19 11:49:58

I particularly disliked not only not answering the question but at the same time changing the subject to their pet rant (presumably because they couldn't give an answer.

Agree Emily Maitless had no control - and what a waste when this was a one-off debate, why not bring in Paxman or maybe Fiona Bruce who now has some experience of this from Question Time?

I would have liked her to insist on ansers to the question posed by Rory Stewart as to how the others would get a no-deal through parliament, that was such an important point and Emily Maitless completely let it slide.

Jools22 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:45:17

Needed Andrew Neil to nail down the candidates to answer the question and not to give the fluff they gave

JessK Wed 19-Jun-19 11:37:39

None of them impressed me at all. It's all a bit depressing. I do wonder what would happen if they had been up against an interviewer like the late Robin Day. None would have survived.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 10:37:07

Yes kittylester my error.
?

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 10:35:33

Posted on another thread by mistake. I liked this:

“Catnip to Twitter millennials, Rory is paraquat to Tory members.”

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 10:08:52

Wonder what the viewing figures were

kittylester Wed 19-Jun-19 09:57:52

I think there is a difference between 'manspreading' as mamacaz said and 'mansplaining'.

Callistemon Wed 19-Jun-19 09:57:26

I thought it was all a waste of time.
Maitliss was hopeless, I wouldn't have been able to think straight myself balanced on one of those awful chairs (who thought they were a good idea?).

It didn't advance the leadership contest one iota - and we don't have a say anyway!

MamaCaz Wed 19-Jun-19 09:36:18

Today 09:16 Urmstongran
Regarding the ‘mansplaining’ that’s a bit daft not to expect it. Men just wouldn’t sit for an hour with their knees together, especially on high stools. None of them looked comfortable.

I didn't say that I didn't expect manspreading - just that the dynamics might have been different if it had not been allowed, given that the position is though to be partly about an outward display of male dominance, but my comment was half tongue-in- cheek anyway.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 09:17:29

Johnson rolled back on absolutely everything he’d previously said, without being specific on anything. Won’t be long before he’s arguing to revoke.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 09:16:20

Regarding the ‘mansplaining’ that’s a bit daft not to expect it. Men just wouldn’t sit for an hour with their knees together, especially on high stools. None of them looked comfortable.

And podiums as in the Channel 4 debate weren’t much better.

Sit round a half moon desk, like on ‘Politics Live’ and have Andrew Neil to keep order. Much better.

Charleygirl5 Wed 19-Jun-19 09:13:13

He did not give a straight answer to anything and would also have denied or questioned yesterday was Tuesday.

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 08:57:40

Emily Maitlas just said she thinks Boris came off the best

MamaCaz Wed 19-Jun-19 08:47:51

I couldn't help wondering if Emily Maitless might have had more control if she had put an end to the 'manspreading' before the debate began. It might have put her in the driving seat ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 08:43:32

I thought Gove seemed slightly unstable. He lied again about his father and his business. He seems to have forgotten that he was called out previously for the lie.

He seemed obsessed by Corbyn and frankly the winner of his remarks could only have been Corbyn, as the remarks were very odd.

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 08:40:38

The next PM as previous PM’s will not be a dictator, Mrs May, Major, Thatcher , Heath ?

MamaCaz Wed 19-Jun-19 08:38:35

GabriellaG54
...and I hated the constant efforts if the dummies who were trying to appear to be all things to all men.
I was adopted. I was poor. I have a great great grandfather who was Muslim. My dad was a bus driver. I'm married to an immigrant.
It sounded like an infant school playground, with each candidate trying to morph like a chameleon into the person most likely to identify with the onscreen questioner.

Yes, the way they all piled in with their attempts to out-do each other with their dubious links to past poverty or ethnicity was absolutely pathetic.
It reminded me of the Monty Python sketch, and was wondering how long it would be before one claimed to have lived in a shoebox ...

As you said, just like an infant school playground!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 08:31:19

Now we are faced with the appalling knowledge that the next PM will be someone with no plan for our future, either with regards to Brexit or how to mend our broken society.

What a state we are in.

kittylester Wed 19-Jun-19 08:26:30

How tall is Rory Stewart? There is a photo of him where he looks about average. Shallow I know, but I think it can matter.

crystaltipps Wed 19-Jun-19 06:47:52

The people asking the questions would all be better prime ministers than this bunch. I bet Theresa May is laughing, they make her look quite good.