Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop’s kitchen, filled with kindness, understanding and some damn fine cake ! Come on in.

(1001 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 20-Jun-19 09:07:28

Hello familiar faces and new ones too - come in for a chat or to share your cares !

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:17:20

Time to open our new kitchen. See you there...

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:16:21

What have I achieved in my absence from the kitchen and the daily blethering sessions that are important to my sense of well being?
The hoos is truly clean. The laundry is up to date and the garden...the garden is cleared of hundreds of Montbetria that had to be pulled up complete with the bulb bit intact. It's a horticultural "thug" and springs up all over the place, crowding out other plants. Over four days, I dedicated 10 hours of hard graft to tugging out and disposing of ten heaped wheelbarrow loads. There are still far too many clumps for me to deal with...but it was gratifying in a back-achey way. If ever we get rich, I shall most def employ a gardener to dig out yet more of the buggerations.
The rockery separating the upper lawn from the lower was tricky and I'm bruised from clambering over the rocks. At one point, I lost my footing at the top of the rocky, where the lawn is uneven, and fell head first down on to the bottom lawn. I was praying that a motorist wouldn't see me trying to negotiate my attempt to stand upright. I flattened a number of plants. MacSporran was quite understanding. He gave me a very long hug. wink

Feelingmyage55 Mon 22-Jul-19 12:10:07

Welcome back soop
izabella were you a girl guide? The motto was “be prepared”. I enjoy your posts so much. You often see the silver lining.
I am off to visit family which will be lovely but makes me aware of my age. The travelling is fine but I find the change in meals and mealtimes and bedtimes

awkward. I just smile through it all because it is lovely to be together and that matters more.
Beautiful babies. A new baby arrived in our family last week and has been welcomed with great joy as the family is, in the nature of life, shrinking at the “oldie” end. No photo allowed on social media but I am assured he is gorgeous and will hopefully get a real life cuddle in a few weeks. (Family live a long way away). Hence I enjoy the photos on here so much.
Off to collect my prescriptions - the package is scarily large but what would I do without it?
panache. It is lovely to red your descriptions of your new home and hear how positive you and DH are being about the huge upheaval. Love the vision of your colour choice.
TOYA

Fennel Mon 22-Jul-19 12:02:49

Welcome back soop! I know the feeling when the blue light comes on smile.

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:00:31

MacSporran was well treated by his delightful haematologist. She is delightful. His platelet count was on the low side...hence some colourful bruising. The blood count on the whole is fairly stable. His Lymphoma is grade C because the cancer is in the bone marrow and the infected lymph nodes are in three sites. However, he's amazingly upbeat and positive. Next appointment in three months.

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 11:55:11

Boy! Now I know why it is I've missed you lovely lot...I have skimmed through as many poats as I am able in a short time. I've laughed at Greyduster's post, swooned over those gorgeous hunks, thanks to GrannyGravy, been uplifted by positive posts from Panache and Izabelle, gone all gooey thanks to some lovely cuddly baby photos...on and on and on...I feel well and truly back in the heart of our kitchen. flowers

dragonfly46 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:48:59

Welcome back soop

annsixty Mon 22-Jul-19 11:15:53

Welcome back soop you have been much missed.

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 11:12:37

Hallelujah! sunshine grin I have returned from five days in the internet wilderness. Two lovely engineers have been buzzing busily 'twixt here and the poles and the exchange since breakfast-time. Five minutes ago, the blue light replaced the flashing amber thingy and my spirits had lift off.

Thanks to Baggs for reporting the buggeration to you lovely lot - I've missed you so much.

I have almost 100 emails to check. It's going to take time to get back on track. Please bear with me.

I shall be back a little later. We may need to open a new kitchen. I have no idea what I've missed thus far.

Charleygirl5 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:01:49

My new landline appears to be working, I am going to keep my Microwave and apply common sense. I had water and foam meeting me at the door mid-morning from my washing machine- I will probably be leaving the country later today.

Sorry, I thought Ru was a younger version of Mim.
TOYA

Greyduster Mon 22-Jul-19 10:55:06

None of my new garden lilies are scented this year - wrong sort apparently - and I have missed that. They are lovely, Nannytopsy. My sympathies with the calf cramp, and to you, Doodle with the hay fever - I share both afflictions.
We are somewhat at sea today, having been expecting GS for the day only to find last night that he was having an extra night in London with his dad and they wouldn’t be home until this afternoon. Never mind, we will see him tomorrow. I have just washed a bucketful of filthy gardening gloves - a job I wish I hadn’t started. I needed to take a scrubbing brush to them in the end!
I had not realised how close we were to a new kitchen until just now. I hope Soop soon has her internet sorted out. Ours was down over the weekend and it was a real pain. I wish we hadn’t come to rely on technology so much.

Doodle Mon 22-Jul-19 10:25:57

Atishoo!! ?? sorry nanny hay fever ?

Nannytopsy Mon 22-Jul-19 07:29:37

Morning all! I am awake early after leaping out of bed with cramp! Ouch - it was the twisty foot one, not the calf and putting my foot on a cold floor is my go to remedy. It seems that the kitchen is in a calmer, happier phase and a new baby due too! Long may this last ?.
These are anniversary lilies from last week. They are huge and the perfume is wonderful. Can you smell them?
I hope Soop gets back before this kitchen closes! Shall we adopt the Panache colours for the new one?
TOYA

Doodle Sun 21-Jul-19 21:58:57

What gorgeous babies and children we have in the kitchen. Mum is growing up into a lovely young lady ?
mcem Ru is so sweet. A real little cutie ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 21-Jul-19 21:37:15

I am adding Mim to my truly gorgeous list. There are no flies on her.

Greyd and corner I am inclined to agree with you but cost rears its ugly head- this one cost me £120.

Bellanonna Sun 21-Jul-19 21:29:20

I do enjoy your posts Izabella
Love your sense of humour
Have a great time in Ireland. I always do!
I’ve enjoyed all the pictures too especially of the little ones

cornergran Sun 21-Jul-19 21:12:28

Evening All. Been awol for a few days, off across the country to hospital visit a special friend who was blue lighted after a stroke. Her pleasure at seeing me brought tears. I felt very humbled. Some wonderful workmen rescued her, such kindness to a stranger. We’re now supporting her family from a distance which may distance me from posting here but I will certainly be reading and thinking of you all.

You sound so much lighter panache, so pleased for you both. Internet buggerations are oh so frustrating soop.

charley, I’m with greyd, no faffing with weighing here although our microwave instructions suggest it. So far no fires grin.

We lived by a canal many moons back greyd, I loved it. Tranquil and interesting.

Sorry you’ve been poorly mamissimo, grandparenting grade 1 is a true accolade and a good distraction. Please may I join the squishing queue?

I’ve a huge smile reading your post izabella, enjoy it all.

I’m off now, TOYA and look after yourselves.

mcem Sun 21-Jul-19 21:02:00

Could we introduce mim to our ru?
She is a bit older but ru (at a quarter of a year) has a sense of humour and a lovely smile!

Lins1066 Sun 21-Jul-19 20:41:46

What good news that Panache has a buyer for the house. Your apartment sounds very swish indeed.

Have a lovely holiday in Ireland Izabella.
I've been enjoying the photos, the sweet peas are lovely, so fragrant. Ours are just coming out, a preponderance of purple ones this year.

Mamissimo hope you are feeling much better. Congratulations on being awarded grandparenting grade 1. Please take my booking for a squishing, she's truly scrumptious - wasn't she in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Our DD loved that film when she was little.

We ate out on the patio this evening, it was still quite warm.
Countryfile Weather has indicated that we are in for some hotter weather during the coming week.
Will watch Poldark at nine and record Beecham House so that we can zip through the adverts.
TOYA

Greyduster Sun 21-Jul-19 19:30:59

Put me high up on the squishing list, please, mamissimo! She is soooo lovely!

Greyduster Sun 21-Jul-19 19:27:38

Enjoy your trip, Izabella! Love Ireland, both South and North.
Charley that microwave sounds like more trouble than it’s worth! Life is too short to be weighing everything out. I’d ‘wing it’ if I were you (which is probably what makes my cooking so haphazard!hmm)! DH and I had a walk on the Chesterfield Canal today as we were in the vicinity. It’s a rural canal for the most part so plenty of birds, butterflies and lovely wild flowers, but today, too, plenty of fish just under the surface; something you don’t usually see. I am not particularly interested in coarse fish but they were fascinating. Some passing children were very excited to see them, particularly when I pointed out a young pike to them, about a foot long, keeping station near the edge, waiting for its lunch to come a bit closer, I dare say, but I didn’t give voice to that! We had lovely coffee and cake at a lockside cafe but sadly all their excellent scones had gone!
Home made quiche and ☹️salad☹️ for tea.

Mamissimo Sun 21-Jul-19 19:07:16

Happy Poldark Day!
I’ve been lurking in the undergrowth for a while with a severe kidney infection that was misdiagnosed. I’ve been grump, grotty and DH thinks utterly ghastly so I spared you my company.

However I’ve read everything ?

We are now on the nest because my DD”s next baby is due...we reckon next week, the hospital think 2 weeks later but if they’re right she’s having an elephant and it’s been the longest pregnancy in history!

We have been awarded grandparenting grade 1 and are to be trusted with the delightful Mim while the event takes place. That will give me something to do - when she was born I was unprepared for how stressed I was when labour began and was almost incoherent by the time we got the call to say all was well! Having Mim will stop that nonsense ?

Recent photo of the scrumptious one .......we can accept booking for squishing ?

Izabella Sun 21-Jul-19 18:11:32

panache your uplifting posts of late are so reassuring. I realise the leg remains a painful and frustrating daily reminder of buggerations in general, but I am sure given time and patience, that too will improve.

Your decor sounds absolutely ticketyboo and news of prospective buyers of the old homestead must gladden your heart too.

I fly to Eire tomorrow but hope to keep tabs on the kitchen and hopefully return to find soop reconnected to us all.

I have ordered a new book from A****n entitled A beginners guide to the End: Practical Advice for Living Life and Facing death. This may seem macabre to some but in my usual pragmatic way, wish to be prepared. Amusingly A****n do not provide a gift service for this particular order. Made me chuckle.

IN the meantime TOYA, and doodle and grannygravy there are plenty of firemen for all those interested. No competing required.

Bag and post-its packed. Which for some bizarre reason reminds me baggs posted recently. ??

Charleygirl5 Sun 21-Jul-19 17:03:41

Panache I am so pleased that everything is now so much better and you have a buyer for the old house.

Very muggy here today- just renewed my car insurance so I will be job hunting tomorrow.

Beware of buying a new microwave- my first one did not fit but this one requires every bit of food to be weighed before it is put in the machine. Not being a cook or ever baked anything I have had to buy mini scales coming next Saturday.
TOYA

eilyann Sun 21-Jul-19 17:01:39

Panache so pleased things are at last working out for you and Mr P Will keep you in my prayers.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion