Gransnet forums

Chat

Buying plant pots in Wilkinsons

(15 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 20-Jun-19 09:25:31

Popped into Wilko's yesterday to buy some of their heavy plastic plant pots. I've been trying to steer clear of plastic but I've lost a few good terracotta ones over the last two winters and replacing them would be expensive.

There were just three of the very large ones on the shelf. Good, because I needed three. They were stacked tightly together so I didn't bother separating them, just put them in the trolley along with the rest of the shopping.

When I got to the checkout I peeled the bar code off one of them and handed it to the girl, asking her to take for three. She told me she would have to separate them and scan each one. Good Luck with that, I thought as they are often a nightmare to pull apart. I wondered if she'd still have her brightly painted nails at the end of the struggle.

After we'd both pulled, in opposite directions having found something to prize them apart I asked if it was really necessary.

'Yes.' said the girl. 'It's a good shoplifter's trick to put items in between the pots then jam them back together again. We have to check.'

shock shock

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 09:32:23

I doubt you'd get a pound note between 3 tightly packed/jammed plant pots ?

MawBroonsback Thu 20-Jun-19 09:34:08

I think she did you a favour so you didn’t break a nail trying to separate them when you got home!

Gonegirl Thu 20-Jun-19 09:34:43

Yep. I've been sitting here thinking what they could get in between them.

Go back next week and question her further merlot.

Gransooz Thu 20-Jun-19 09:51:48

I think that there would be quite a gap between the bases although the sides were jammed, so I think the cashier was probably right to check. There are some decidedly dodgy people about these days! (Don’t mean you though Merlotgran!)

merlotgran Thu 20-Jun-19 09:56:52

Yes. There's a gap between the bases. Certainly big enough to conceal some flattish items.

I have gardener's fingernails, maw. Short and indestructible!!

Gonegirl Thu 20-Jun-19 10:03:05

Right. I suggest -

A little pack of plant labels.

Small spool of green string?

Some little plastic 'hats' for plant canes.

Any other suggestions?

Perhaps a pair of gardening gloves?

Gonegirl Thu 20-Jun-19 10:03:46

Actually "suggest" was the wrong word! Honestly! shock

Gonegirl Thu 20-Jun-19 10:04:51

merlot is a bit on the dodgy side

Gonegirl Thu 20-Jun-19 10:05:33

wink !!!

merlotgran Thu 20-Jun-19 10:14:17

Ha Ha, Gonegirl. DH said if he'd been with me he'd have moved to a different queue in case somebody had already tried it but chickened out and put them back on the shelf.

Never seen 'er before in me life! grin

Gonegirl Thu 20-Jun-19 10:19:08

grin It could have happened! shock

jaylucy Thu 20-Jun-19 10:26:50

My sister used to work in a garden centre and the things that people used to nick is astonishing !
The owners decided to invest in new security, including putting hidden tags on items . The first person caught was a grandmother who had secreted several packets of seeds inside their grandchild's buggy (behind and under the child) she reckoned they'd either slipped in there, the child had taken them off the rack (child was witnessed as being fast asleep by both staff and CCTV) or she'd knocked them down as she passed the shelves!

vena11 Thu 20-Jun-19 10:32:50

I worked in a shop and we had one customer who always changed the bar codes and shelf tickets around so she got things pounds cheaper , we managed to catch her doing it one day and had to ban her from the shop . the nerve of some people is unbelievable.

bikergran Thu 20-Jun-19 10:44:38

Yes I can see where the girl was coming from, I work in a supermarket...it still surprises me where and how some people try to hide/steal things (not always big items but smaller items that cost a lot.We have recently put the grey security tags on some make up.

I once caught a person trying to steal over £25.00 of steak (3 packets) she said they had "SLIPPED" down the side of the bag!! hmm when I scanned them she then said Oh I haven't enough money} ! so she never intended to pay for them, strangely enough the person behind her a relative I presume said oh its ok I will pay for them!