Gransnet forums


Impossible request!

(13 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 21-Jun-19 15:34:52

My mother moved to Australia around 40 years ago and although she has had a stroke her mind is still pretty sharp. Today I received a letter from her asking me to track down an old friend of hers. I would love to be able to put them in touch again except:

This is a friend from when she was a teenager

She knows her friends maiden name but not her married name

The only address she gave me was her friends parents house. As Mum is 93, presumably her friend is of a similar age and I don't think they will be living there any more!

The house is council owned so it is unlikely the current occupiers will be relatives of her friend.

Now should I just tell her there isn't enough information or leave it a couple of weeks and tell her I tried but couldn't find anything?

aggie Fri 21-Jun-19 15:38:37

Put an ad in the local paper using their maiden names , you might be lucky

aggie Fri 21-Jun-19 15:39:11

or as "Long lost Families " to have a go

Sussexborn Fri 21-Jun-19 15:43:20

Yours magazine has a page for people who are looking for long lost friends/relatives. Might be worth a try.

chelseababy Fri 21-Jun-19 15:44:26

There's a column in the Mail on Saturdays where the track people down - you could write to them.

Bathsheba Fri 21-Jun-19 16:00:44

If you're on Facebook, see if there's a page called Memories of (town/area they lived in) and join it. Then post an appeal for anyone who may know this person asking them to contact you by private message.

cornergran Fri 21-Jun-19 16:03:15

Why not try one of those? Send your Mum a holding message saying it may not be possible but you’ll try and not to expect a quick response. Whatever the outcome I suspect you’ll feel better if you’re honest with her, trying one of the suggested routes wouldn’t take huge amounts of time. The suggestions made to you may just have encouraged me to finally try to trace one of my bridesmaids. Last contact 49 years ago. No idea why I’d like to try. I just would hmm.

M0nica Fri 21-Jun-19 16:12:09

Employ professional family historians to do it.

Sadly. like it or not, the answer is likely to be that she has died.

lemongrove Fri 21-Jun-19 16:17:11

Good advice cornergran

GabriellaG54 Fri 21-Jun-19 16:26:27

The Salvation Army have a tracing service. Very affordable £49 (I think)
Google it and the site gives you all the info on how to go about it.
It's much cheaper than any other way and very secure.

Esther1 Fri 21-Jun-19 16:30:04

Do your very best and let her know the outcome of every avenue. If her mind is still pretty good she will enjoy hearing about your efforts. Good Luck Sunseeker.

kittylester Fri 21-Jun-19 17:26:06

Our village has a 'Spotted' page on fb, maybe the area where your Mum's friend lived has one too.

jusnoneed Fri 21-Jun-19 17:57:56

It may be worth trying to find a marriage on FreeBMD. You could search with a wide date range. Some areas are transcribed up until the early 90's.