Gransnet forums

Chat

Age of attaining grannyhood

(148 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 21-Jun-19 19:30:15

A friend has just become a grandmother for the first time at 74. I suppose this is becoming more common with women delaying motherhood but it seems late to me.
Friend is delighted of course.
When did you become a granny? I was 51.

JacquiG Tue 25-Jun-19 12:38:52

Too young, but they are lovely children, love 'em to bits.

melp1 Mon 24-Jun-19 21:06:00

45 when my eldest grandson was born. Loved it took him swimming every week and had him when his mum was at work as I worked part-time as well. Hes now 21 and I now also have 3 grandaughters, 8, 11 & 13.

MandyRaff Mon 24-Jun-19 11:33:59

Three years ago at 48 our first granddaughter was born. Fast forward three years and we are now at six (five grandsons) with another one on the way!!

Shirls52000 Mon 24-Jun-19 09:36:37

I was 61 last year and had retired the day before my grandson was born I ve been so busy helping out I haven’t had time to get bored with retirement yet so was great timing

Suzyb Mon 24-Jun-19 01:21:52

I was 66 when our granddaughter was born nearly 3 years ago. I thought I was too old to be a grandma but luckily I’m very active and in good health and it’s been a joy. She’s staying with us at the moment for a few days and we’re having such fun together. I have friends who became grandparents in their 50’s who don’t see so much of their grandchildren now as they’re growing up and have friends and interests to occupy their time which I suppose is inevitable.

SueDonim Sun 23-Jun-19 22:46:13

Dancinggran your message jogged my memory that I was at school with a little boy who was uncle to a nephew who was older than him! I think I was about 7/8yo when I discovered that and it blew my mind! My mum had to spend ages explaining it to me. grin

Missiseff Sun 23-Jun-19 22:34:26

My first 'real' Grandson is due in a few weeks time, I'm 57 . My first step-grandson was born when I was 43. Have 4 other step ones, all boys.

GreenGran78 Sun 23-Jun-19 22:02:10

I was 60 when my first arrived. Her brother came when I was 63. My other daughter gave birth to her first ( and last!) at the age of 44, when I was 77. My son and DIL keep saying that they will have children, but after 10 years of marriage I’m not holding my breath. DIL’s mum is 69, and desperate to become a granny.

M0nica Sun 23-Jun-19 21:58:16

But so many people on this thread became grandparents well before 50. and I am not so sure that marriage and parenthood in mid-20s was as predominant as suggested.

Looking at my own family, DH's and DDiL's, late marriage and late grandparenthood is the norm. Our familes have a diverse range of back grounds from Irish immigrants working as day labourers and living in poverty, through car factory workers, office clerks, to, as we reach more recent times, academics, teachers, chartered engineers and other professional people. Yet on average the age for a first child over all generations is around 30 and first grandchild is 60+.

Daisyboots Sun 23-Jun-19 21:11:56

A PP says she thinks it odd to be a grandparent before the age of 60 but I would say before this generation who are having children later most people had children by their mid 20s so it was usual to be a grandparent by around the age of 50 on average. Both my grandmothers were 60 when I was born but for one I was the 3rd youngest grandchild and my eldest cousin was 11 yars old when I was born. On my fathers side my DB and I were the only grandchildren as my father (nearly 36 when I was born) was the only one of my grandmother's children to have children. Most of my friends grandmothers were younger than mine when I was growing up

Phoebes Sun 23-Jun-19 21:10:55

My Mum was 82 when my daughter was born and I was 43. I had 2 miscarriages and a major operation before I managed to produce her. I became a step-grandma when I was 70 and again two years later to my husband’s daughter’s two children, but my first grandchild of my own arrived two weeks ago in New York. I ‘m 76 now, so not before time! I was over the moon as was my husband ! We have seen him on Skype and will go over soon and see him in the flesh.Our daughter is 32, so she’s a bit earlier than I was getting going!

Grannyrebel27 Sun 23-Jun-19 20:14:04

I was 53 and felt a bit funny about it. Got 3 more now and I love it!

Jani31 Sun 23-Jun-19 20:02:15

3 weeks after my 60th birthday. One reason why I did not go to New Zealand on holiday, did get some raised eyebrows when we went to the Ritz for afternoon tea ?

rosieod1 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:38:09

I became a grandma the day before my 60th birthday,was so hoping she'd have been just a few hours later to share my special day but babies arrive when they are ready. Sadly I see very little of her as she was born in Mexico and lives there with her mother,who is now no longer with my son. My 2nd grandchild was born coming up to my 64th birthday and I'm his grandma daycare 2 days a week now. Hard work but very rewarding and in part makes up for not seeing my Mexican ginger ninja x

maryrose54 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:31:49

Our DGS was born 3 weeks before my 60th birthday. I had my daughter when I was 30, and she was almost 30 when she had DGS. Two years later his little sister was born just 3 days before his birthday.

Gangang Sun 23-Jun-19 18:59:11

I was 53 when my first grandchild was born and 61 when the last one was born. The eldest grandchild and I go running together- it’s wonderful.
What a privilege!

Dancinggran Sun 23-Jun-19 18:19:35

I was 47 when my first grandchild was born and 55 when youngest was born.
SueDonim my youngest aunt was an aunt as soon as she was born(I'm exactly 2 weeks older). We were in the same class at school and with the same surname, we used to tell people that we were cousins.

annifrance Sun 23-Jun-19 18:10:22

58, 58 and 60. And I was resigned to the fact that I would probably not see any of them married, and no DGGCs. And even if I make it to their weddings I am sure I would not be making their wedding dresses.

EthelJ Sun 23-Jun-19 17:55:15

I was 57 when I my first GC was born and 61 the latest. My sister was in her early 40s when her first GC was born. Now she is in her 70s they are all grown up. Whatever age we are when they are born they are a blessing. I feel my GC keep me young.

Marmight Sun 23-Jun-19 17:25:15

55. He's now 15 and there are 7 more. Youngest is 6

Hattiehelga Sun 23-Jun-19 17:01:41

We were 70 and our eldest grandchild is now 11. It is a great sadness to me that inevitably we won't see the four of them, 11,9,7 sand 6 into adulthood. We must make the most of them while we can and not dwell on the future.

Gothnana Sun 23-Jun-19 16:52:18

My first DGC is due on my daughters birthday and mine is 5 days before so.... I will either be 46 or 47.

NannyKisses Sun 23-Jun-19 16:36:57

I was 36. I had my Daughter at 16 & she had her first Dsughter ( she had 2) at 21. Up until a few years ago there were 5 generations of women in our family. The Baby, my Daughter, Me (Nanny) my Mum (Great Nanna) my Mum has me at 19, my Grandmother ( Great Great Grandma). It was lovely having us all together.

Pat1949 Sun 23-Jun-19 16:12:29

The first I was 45, the last 62.

Beloulou Sun 23-Jun-19 16:08:48

I was 51. (We have another one on the way). My mother was 50 and my grandmother was 48. My MIL, though, was an older mother herself. She was 45 when she had my DH and was 72 when my DS was born. She has since had another 5 DGCs