Gransnet forums

Chat

Uswitch

(12 Posts)
SynchroSwimmer Tue 25-Jun-19 20:34:15

I alternate every 2 years between 2 of the major companies, say SSE and EDF - but I do the contract via the Top Cashback site - and get a cash credit each time of varying amounts.

Pittcity Tue 25-Jun-19 19:25:13

I use uSwitch for all sorts of comparisons. They do a lot of the work for you.
Check the advice on comparing on Moneysavingexpert as it's best to compare with more than one website.

M0nica Tue 25-Jun-19 19:19:59

The publicity about how much money you can save if you have a smart meter has been toned down a bit recently. Yes there are the care for nothings who just use electricity and leave lights and appliances on without regard to cost. But most of us are careful with our use of scarce resources and the availability of constant checking on consumption only proves it, so is unnecessary.

Before smart meters DH got on an OWL that showed how much electricity we were using and we soon found that we used power economically, and within weeks completely stopped looking at it, even though it was beside the Kitchen door.

Ginny42 Tue 25-Jun-19 06:20:17

I've just learned how to read the meter. I'm with M&S and they changed supplier and I'm expected to send readings. I asked a man who was reading a neighbour's meter if he would show me. I know people who change every year, but I'm with Luckygirl and feel niggled that we have this faffing. Why can't they supply us with power at the best possible price? After all electricity (I don't have gas) is no longer a luxury in the UK!

BlueBelle Tue 25-Jun-19 05:53:06

MOinca I m with you completely, my friend is always kindly nudging me to change but I really can’t be doing all this chopping around I would forget who I was with and it seems you need to change every year to get the benefits and to be honest it just all seems too complex and confusing although I know it’s practically done for you
I have refused a smartmeter, I know what electricity I use being alone, might be different if I had a big family and wanted to keep tabs, but I can’t see any plus except it reads the meter which takes all of 30seconds every three months

GabriellaG54 Mon 24-Jun-19 22:29:43

do I had two moths free
so I had two months free. blush

GabriellaG54 Mon 24-Jun-19 22:27:08

I was with nPower for gas from Feb 2013 - April 2019 and my DDs were £14pm throughout with a total top-up of £30 In Nov to cover colder weather Nov Dec Jan.

Changed to iSupply, a Dutch company which has offices in Bournmouth UK in April.
DD was initially £17pm but they have to estimate it (even though I gave readings and screenshots) until you've given 3 readings which are verified by a meter validation company.
They estimated that my reading was too low (it was correct) and they put my start reading much higher. It was two months before my meter actually reached the start date they estimated and OFGEM doesn't allow start readings to be amended do I had two moths free.
They still haven't taken any DDs even after me emailing them.
They said their fault and they'll only take 1 months DD 14 days after July 1st reading and at the lower rate of £14.
It makes you wonder if they know what they're doing.
BTW...look on Topcashback to see if they have any energy cashback offers and if you see one you like, click on it and you'll be directed to the site and be eligible for cashback when you join the new energy company.
Good luck. grin

Luckygirl Mon 24-Jun-19 22:11:37

I share that view and feel niggled that we are being put in this position.

M0nica Mon 24-Jun-19 21:58:35

I have found that the cheapest are usually the smallest newest companies and their chance of lasting long is limited. I think as many as 7 have shut up shop this year.

I just stick with same supplier and choose his cheapest tariff each year. Time is money and the last change took up a lot of my time over 3 days. I hav better things to do with my time.

Luckygirl Mon 24-Jun-19 19:47:53

Confession!! - I do not have the vaguest clue where our smartmeter is!! And I only went for it as it would send meter readings and save a job! I do not want to look at it as we use masses of electricity as 6 stone OH with PD is always cold and I find it best just to whatever is needed to keep him warm and not dwell on it all too much.

My current tariff is up for renewal and it gives me a lost of tariffs, all with identical conditions as far as I can see - why would anyone not choose the cheapest I wonder?

M0nica Mon 24-Jun-19 19:26:59

It is unlikely that the smart meter is transferable. Once you change it will not send readings to the new company.

Six months after we had our smart meter installed, we changed suppliers - and with that went the smartness.

The meter doesn't need to be replaced, but it ceases to be smart.

Luckygirl Mon 24-Jun-19 19:20:31

Anyone used these?

I have been with npower for ages and it is up for renewal now. It looks as though there might be cheaper options.

At the moment the smartmeter sends the readings to npower and I have to do nothing - anyone know if this will still apply if I switch.

I have to say that it niggles me a bit to have to keep revisiting this and changing plans. But I am grumpy old woman!