Gransnet forums

Chat

Children in Pubs

(77 Posts)
WadesNan Wed 26-Jun-19 09:19:12

A local pub is in the news because it has posted "rules" for children on its premises:

No children under the age of 10 to be in the pub after 6.00 pm.

All children must be sat at a table with adults whether eating or not

No free roaming, running, scootering or climbing

Parents are also asked to be mindful of other customers if their children start screaming and shouting.

The landlord was interviewed on local radio and he said he recently had to quickly scoop up a child who was in front of the kitchen door just as a waiter came through with platefuls of hot food.

One parent complained saying the rules put "too much pressure on parents"

I think it sad that any establishment has to post a set of rules which are basically just good parenting anyway.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:42:37

A "nice" gastropub or restaurant with well behaved children is preferable to a pub with rowdy shrieking inebriated adults!!!!

sazz1 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:30:00

I think children's rooms in pubs was something we should have kept. Some were quite nice and had a tv, bagatell games to play etc. Kids and bars definitely don't mix and the last thing I want to see in a bar are unruly children.

Magrithea Sat 29-Jun-19 09:18:49

When my children were small (late 80's on) most pubs wouldn't allow children in the main bars so DH had to go in and ask where we could sit - often in a dark and chilly skittle alley or in 'purdah' in a corner! It's much better now but I agree that children should behave - no running around and if they start to kick off then take them outside!

absent Sat 29-Jun-19 06:43:33

I took my daughter out to all sorts of places, including theatres and restaurants, when she was quite young and she has done the same with hers. I have shared many birthday celebrations with my daughter, her husband and the big bunch of grandchildren, the youngest of whom is currently only four-years-old.

They love wearing their "smart" clothes and sharing a meal with grandparents. They love having a choice of what to eat and drink (within reason) and usually (maybe even always) behave beautifully.

As a rule, kids will respond to what you expect from them and what they expect from you.

blondenana Fri 28-Jun-19 23:49:56

What moggy said, specific areas for parents with children

Onestepbeyond Fri 28-Jun-19 21:22:13

I'd just have the one rule-
No kids allowed unless 18 years of age

Mebster Fri 28-Jun-19 17:21:57

I'm OK with kids in pubs before 6 as long as they're under control and not being loud and disruptive. Some family run pubs are the nicest kind and I know a couple where the youngsters do school prep, help wipe off tables and wash up.

Tedber Fri 28-Jun-19 17:10:42

Agree with most of the comments (and the Landlord). Don't understand the comments from the parent that was interviewed about "putting parents under too much pressure"? Doesn't make sense.

However, I think it was NannyG123 who commented on a child that was sat under the table. From (my now) experience there are some children who may have invisible mental issues (such as autism/adhd) and if he was being quiet they may have felt it better to just leave him rather than have a melt down? I used to be quick to judge but...no more! Sometimes parents do have to adjust in strange ways. All is not always as it seems.

Also as someone else says - the adults very often don't show good examples either!

lmm6 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:51:27

My thoughts on the subject are that years ago parents used to control their children. Now the children control the parents.

felice Fri 28-Jun-19 15:57:23

I have been watching this post with interest, as a chef/proprietor of bars and restaurants in 2 eu ropean countries I can say the holidaymakers children are by far the worst behaved.
The parents seem to think that they do not have to discipline their children if they are able abroad.
I would cite examples but I am taking DGS to the Irish pub across the road for supper tonight. We would be here all night.
End of term and Mum and Dad are involved in the Ommengang Festival here this week.
We will be made very welcome and both enjoy our meal in peace.

Slowcookervegan Fri 28-Jun-19 15:29:32

It annoys me how parents pretend the children arnt theirs and allow them to run riot. They are your children, your responsibility.

Jani31 Fri 28-Jun-19 14:58:48

I went into Coral the Bookies with my DD and 4 month old DGD for a Derby bet. DD had to leave as DGD was under 18. A baby in a pushchair ? Looked up the rules and they were correct ?

Baloothefitz Fri 28-Jun-19 00:49:06

I agree with that landlord 100%.

Plunger Thu 27-Jun-19 22:44:39

Sports day at DGSs school today. One set of parents thought it was endering to let their 18month 'join' in ie stand in the way of 6year olds taking part. Couldn't be bothered to get off their backsides or mobile to move her out of the way. Arseholes! Your daughter was not cute she has brats as parents!

Vivian123 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:42:47

There was a time that children under the age of 14 were not allowed into the main area of a pub. We had a local that had a specific children/family room, where parents could drink and eat with their children, without any chance of disturbing other non child affiliated punters. I still think pubs should be for adults only, but have no objection to a family room. When I was small and the family went to the pub, my sister and I stayed in the pub garden or car park, with a lemonade and a bag of crisps. Regularly checked on by Mum and Dad.

Bijou Thu 27-Jun-19 17:47:39

When I was child in the 1920sand 1930s children were not allowed in pubs and pubs did t serve food. We had to stand outside with a glass of lemonade and crisps. Some did have a children’s room but not many.

Specky Thu 27-Jun-19 17:18:15

Beckett (sorry)

Specky Thu 27-Jun-19 17:16:15

Becket.. Loved your post...laughed out loud.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 27-Jun-19 16:38:36

I agree with that landlord.
However it isn't just in the uk that we have badly behaved children in bars and restaurants in the evenings.
I've seen young children, tired and fractious out in large family groups all over the continent until past midnight, especially in Spain and Italy, often the poor kids fall asleep under the table while adults carry on regardless.

Noreen3 Thu 27-Jun-19 15:58:46

I think the landlord is right to set a few rules,I've seen children running around when people are carrying food and drink,it's not safe.But perhaps 6pm is a bit early ,I've been out with my son and granddaughter sometimes after school.It's often Frankie and Benny's or similar,but we've also been to a carvery pub,and we have to wait for my son to finish work so we could still be there past 6.

Annaram1 Thu 27-Jun-19 15:08:38

I have just returned from Egypt. In the Hurgada hotel Egyptian kids were even worse than here. They ran about in the self service dining room shouting, chose their own hot food which they then carried shoulder high back to their tables, and I had to spend my time dodging them when I went to collect my own food. One boy and his father even played football in the dining room and the ball narrowly missed my table. Apparently boys are never told off in Egypt. They are little kings (or pharaohs) .

SueSocks Thu 27-Jun-19 14:58:35

Totally agree with the landlord. Nothing worse than badly behaved children. At the risk of sounding very old, children do need to learn to behave appropriately in whatever situation they are in. Being in a pub to have a meal involves sitting at a table.
There seem to be too many parents who do not put boundaries in place for their children.
I remember going to my nieces' christening service (25 years ago) there were several babies being christened so lots of young families with children, at the start of the service the vicar stated that it was OK for children to not sit still, he was happy for children to run around the church and play, indeed many of the children did & were quite noisy. My sister had told my older niece (aged about 3) that in church we sat quietly and watched what was happening & this is what she did.
In a similar manner when they went out to eat they had to behave properly, it was never any problem, it is just what they were brought up to do. When very young they would take a toy or picture book with them. They were never ignored by their parents when they were out.

annab275 Thu 27-Jun-19 14:58:28

totally agree - this is what happens when you get a generation of bone idle parents who don't take responsibility for their kids. I brought up 5 and we made sure they were well behaved and not running around. In fact on the odd occasion we did take them to a pub it was always a separate room away from the bar and for 'families'. It is not fair on other adults to have kids running around and ours did not go anywhere like pubs until they were old enough to be able to behave. How times have changed.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 27-Jun-19 14:43:38

Children are never allowed in pubs after 6 pm in Denmark.

An exception can be made if there are outdoor tables and the children stay outside,

The feeling behind the rule is that heavy drinkers are more likely to come in the evening and that children should not be in their company.

If parents are settling in for a heavy drinking session a landlord is at liberty to ask them to leave or at least to take the children home to a baby-sitter.

SirChenjin Thu 27-Jun-19 14:37:01

I agree with the landlord on this - but really, it's hardly as if adults in pubs are always beautifully behaved. Perhaps he could have had a general list of house rules instead?