Gransnet forums

Chat

Never leaving the house again!!

(102 Posts)
WadesNan Wed 26-Jun-19 11:06:11

Just got off the phone with a friend. She told me she has recently read an article which said that people look worse in real life than how they see themselves in the mirror.

Based on that I should either never leave the house again, wear a very thick mask or star in horror films grin

Oldandverygrey Sun 07-Jul-19 16:14:35

I look in the mirror and see my Mother gazing back at me.

annabanana Sun 07-Jul-19 15:26:05

In my mind's eye I am better looking than I am in the mirror never mind in real life.

I was once walking around in a department store and for a split second thought I was walking towards a dumpy middle aged woman quickly realising of course it was me in a mirror - never mind! I've lost some weight since then so I'm nearer 'my mind's eye' (I hope).

Sara65 Mon 01-Jul-19 20:31:04

Seacliffe

I agree wholeheartedly, when my grandchildren FaceTime me, I have to be sure I’m holding the phone at the right angle, by which I mean I have to look down on myself not up (avoiding chins) even then I still look awful!

seacliff Mon 01-Jul-19 20:22:12

Rosina ….ha ha....I'm another tortoise with multiple chins, partly as overweight and part hereditary (thanks Dad!!).

When I am fiddling around with my phone I quite often take a selfie at the most unflattering angle, by mistake. My fear is that one day I will inadvertently share it on WhatsApp or worse, Facebook.

I have never taken a "good photo" like some, even when I was quite slim and much younger. I think it may be because I don't have high defined cheek bones and that lovely sharp bone structure.

M0nica Mon 01-Jul-19 19:46:21

When I look in the mirror I see myself. A woman of 76 who is fortunate to be aging well.

What else would I expect to see? I do not expect to see my 10 year old, 30 year old, 50 year old or even 70 year old self.

Why should the sight of me looking my age cause me any concern? Why should it cause anyone any concern to see themselves looking their age.There is very little you can do about it.

Milly Mon 01-Jul-19 11:53:22

Yes EllaVsnnin I too feel young and sprightly and can't believe that old fat woman is me. The only consolation is that family and friends must be used to me looking like that and accept me even if I don't.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Jun-19 15:04:16

Well at the moment I don't care. I wear my hair up normally as it's long and there's a good bit of it, but since showering and as usual, it curls and forms ringlets, I'm leaving it as it is today to let the air get right through it to give it chance to breathe.
It's quite acceptable from the back ( waist length ) until I turn round hahahahaha.
I'm NOT growing old gracefully and that's that !

hereshoping Sat 29-Jun-19 14:49:49

The mirror in my bathroom is very kind to me, but there's something wrong with any mirror when I'm out and about and all photos of me.

Beckett Sat 29-Jun-19 09:39:43

A friend sent me a meme which said - "those aren't wrinkles they are laughter lines". Underneath she had written "what the hell was that funny"

Sara65 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:19:52

I look in my full length mirror before I go out in the mornings, and decide it’s okay, don’t look too bad, then like Magrithea, I catch myself in a shop window, and it’s like I’m a different person!

Where did that plump little woman come from ?

Magrithea Sat 29-Jun-19 09:10:02

If you look in the mirror and like what you see (even if others see you differently) then it makes you feel better and gives and air of confidence! I hate catching sight of myself in shop windows - now that's a downer!!! gringrin

123kitty Thu 27-Jun-19 23:23:24

You need a new friend wades nan

Milo27 Thu 27-Jun-19 21:44:23

That is AWFUL Tillybelle, I am sure that you are beautiful inside and out xx

Milo27 Thu 27-Jun-19 21:42:59

Wrinkles only go where laughter has been x smile

Tillybelle Thu 27-Jun-19 19:31:37

Oh i'm just so glad I'm not alone!
I look at the lovely ladies at Church and the old ladies are so pretty. And then there's me. I could never get my hair right, can't do make-up, just feel so ugly.... paper bag?

My sister - nearly 4 yrs older than I, used to have a hair ribbon. I loved the different coloured ribbons hanging up newly ironed.. I asked to have one in my hair. I was probably 5 or 6, Mother said, "No, ribbons are for pretty girls."

Tillybelle Thu 27-Jun-19 19:20:43

GrannyMosh

You're amazing! ??

Tillybelle Thu 27-Jun-19 19:15:56

Mine went at thirty!

I went to London. Was in a large single changing room trying on clothes. Got dressed again. Had forgotten the mirror arrangement in the room. Turned and thought,

"What's that awful old woman doing in here with me?"

Couldn't bring myself to buy any clothes.

Downhill since then. 70 soon....

The dogs look lovely now.

Gonegirl. Hope you're feeling better now. I'm a bit behind today. ??

DillytheGardener Thu 27-Jun-19 19:14:38

Also everyone’s responses have had me in gales of laughter, I can relate to all of them!

DillytheGardener Thu 27-Jun-19 19:13:24

I have in my bedroom a salt lamp and a tilted mirror, the warm pinky light is like airbrushing and the tilted mirror is sliming. I buy all my clothes online so I can see them in my lighting. High street stores strip lighting used to bring me to tears. Now I choose to believe my version of myself and I feel much sassier and gorgeous! I’d recommend it!

Legs55 Thu 27-Jun-19 19:11:07

I hate having my photo taken & would never take a selfie.

Last week I met up with a Facebook friend for the first time, we both agreed we looked like our photos so it can't be all bad, I hate mirrors but in company I know I'm animated which I hope makes up for all the wrinklesgrin

MooM00 Thu 27-Jun-19 19:00:48

With you all the way Ellan Vannin. I hate getting my photograph taken. When I do I ask, Is that really me, the answer I get is WELL it's nobody else.

narrowboatnan Thu 27-Jun-19 18:57:26

I refuse to have anything to do with mirrors ever since I realised that the short, fat woman hurtling towards me in Asda was, in fact, me reflected in a mirrored glass partition ?

chezza1 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:21:42

A photographer told me once that the mirror often lies but the camera never does.

SparklyGrandma Thu 27-Jun-19 17:23:35

Best thing is not to look in the mirror too often....then every outfit is smart/ nice and matches it feeling good.

If you have to look full length in a mirror to check tights, skirt length etc, leave your glasses off. You wil still be able to see that your clothes are in the right place and decently arranged, but the finer details will be fuzzy ?

Parsley3 Thu 27-Jun-19 17:02:30

The only mirrors I believe in looking at are the distorting ones at the fairground, because they make me laugh. Other mirrors do not make me laugh so I refuse to have anything to do with them. The ones in M&S are particularly evil. ☹️